Sign in to follow this  
nrcrate

Autoland "RETARD" Bug

Ok, after 5 manual circuits, I can see exactly what is happening. The airplane is not letting ground idle happen before I retard the throttles... I can see that anywhere from 100 down to 5 ft, I can go idle with my physical throttles, but the airplane of course limits them to flight idle. Subsequently, in order for me to go directly to idle and then reach for reversers, I would have to touch down before going to idle with my physical throttles. So what is happening is when I go idle at around 30 feet, it's limited to flight idle, and after touchdown I when I press my reverser button (Which holds F3) It has to go from flight idle to the now available ground idle, and then to reverse. My question: Is this how the airplane works in RW? I would think it would allow full idle below something like 40 or 50 feet...

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

i thought the RETARTD was supposed to start at 27feet or something but its not always happening for me. Sometimes they retarard and sometimes they dont. Sometimes they even increase thrust right when the main wheels touch the ground, as you can imagine that increases my landing distance somewhat. Id say its 50/50 chance of getting into IDLE with "RETARD" annouciated. Maybe I just missing something. In Speed hold VREF+5 flaps 30 autobrake 2 or 3 both F/D on and A/T on. I have the options setting that disables my throttles when the A/T is on so I cant imagine that being the problem.

i thought the RETARTD was supposed to start at 27feet or something but its not always happening for me. Sometimes they retarard and sometimes they dont. Sometimes they even increase thrust right when the main wheels touch the ground, as you can imagine that increases my landing distance somewhat. Id say its 50/50 chance of getting into IDLE with "RETARTD" annouciated. Maybe I just missing something. In Speed hold VREF+5 flaps 30 autobrake 2 or 3 both F/D on and A/T on.
Sure- it does idle, but this is flight idle, not full idle. Which in my case takes a longer time to go to reverse.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

I mean it sometimes increases to around 60% thats a little more than i would expect hehe. Plus when it does that there is no RETARD shown on the PFD its like its just holding the MCP speed during the flare.

I mean it sometimes increases to around 60% thats a little more than i would expect hehe. Plus when it does that there is no RETARD shown on the PFD its like its just holding the MCP speed during the flare.
This is a manual landing right?

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Can't do that as far as I know. You must disengage AT for manual landing. No wonder it's holding speed.
Nick, like I said, I also asked the dev team about this and they said that it is normal to get approach idle while flaring. I think the problem relies with your throttle mapping. Can you try to do as I do and engage reversers with f2? If you can, then it's probably how you are mapping the command, as like I said, the dev team told me approach idle is what the real thing does while on approach and flaring (and my reversers activate immediately when I use the f2 button).

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Nick, like I said, I also asked the dev team about this and they said that it is normal to get approach idle while flaring. I think the problem relies with your throttle mapping. Can you try to do as I do and engage reversers with f2? If you can, then it's probably how you are mapping the command, as like I said, the dev team told me approach idle is what the real thing does while on approach and flaring (and my reversers activate immediately when I use the f2 button).
Alfredo,My reply above yours was not directed about my initial problem...Anyway, If that's how it's supposed to work, then I guess I will have to figure it out. My button on my flight stick is doing nothing more than you are doing. Holding F2 on touchdown and then F1 when you wan't to go back to idle. The only difference is that I have one button to push that performs two separate commands.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Yeah, sorry I replied to the wrong one. Meant to reply to the one you did 7 posts above this one. Anyways, I hope you solve your problem. Post again if you need more help.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Yes, the FCOM states what conditions command different minimum idle speeds for the engines, however it seems that the question is more about the ability to activate reverse thrust. From the flights I've done it seems that even with the throttle retarded on landing, the idle remains at the approach idle speed after touch down. This means I have to advance/close the throttle again, or press F1 to achieve ground idle. Only then can I select reverse thrust. Is it not correct that the idle speed reduces from approach idle to ground idle automatically upon main gear contact? Thanks

Theres a time delay of some seconds (cant remember off the top of my head) for the engines to change from flight to ground idle. This is for the reasons stated in the FCOM 2. This however should not preclude you from selecting reverse thrust at any point during the rollout phase.

Hey all,
Hey all, This may or may not be a bug, but it sure is annoying to me and I can't see why it would do this. I have my aircraft set up for a full autoland with rollout... When I get the "RETARD" annunciation just before touchdown and the AT brings the throttle back, I've noticed that it brings it back to flight idle, and not full idle. For example, I just landed at KORF and before landing when "RETARD" illuminated, it went back to flight idle. This does not seem to happen all the time though... I have a key on my flight stick mapped to hold F2 when I press it in and press F1 after I release it. It seemed to take an extremely long time to go from AT flight idle to full idle and then reverse thrust... I should not have to pull it back manually from flight idle to full idle, should I? In the end, I did not get reverse until 65 knots, which by then there is no point. This does not seem like normal behavior to me; but if it is, please enlighten me! Idea.gif P.S.- She autolands beautifully! One of the best I've seen!
The EEC will reduce thrust to ground idle 5 seconds after landing in the "normal" airframe and 2 seconds after landing with the SFP (short field package).

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================