Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

How do your friends and family react to flightsim ? Do they get it?

My daughter, beer and boys. Her mother, beer and boys. The old folks, money and influence. My brother, money and stage rallying. My friends, beer and girls. And Call of Duty of course. Me, climbing and flight simming. (And beer and girls. But not Cause of Divorce.) They all think I'm very strange. But they have no interest in rocks, plants or aeroplanes. I think they (and so, by extrapolation the rest of the world) are very strange. The only passtime that could beat flight simming (other, obviously, than climbing) is flying and I simply can't afford it. I've just got home after a week and a half in the pissing rain in Torridon so I'm a tad divorced from reality...

Guest jahman
My daughter, beer and boys. Her mother, beer and boys. The old folks, money and influence. My brother, money and stage rallying. My friends, beer and girls. And Call of Duty of course....
ROTFLMAO! Not many "get" it, not family (not at all surprised!), not RW friends (somewhat surprised...), not RW flying buddies (quite surprised!) Part of the problem, I would surmise, is most non-aviation folks believe FSX/FS9 to be a "make-believe video game" that teenagers go wild for in a video arcade, and don't realize the math and physics behind at the core of the sim engine. Now take FSX, add Project Magenta (or now even PMDG's B-737-NGX) and add $250K for a realistic cockpit on a 6-DOF motion platform and you will definitely get lots of OOOHs and AAAHs even from the non-initiated and they will all want to sit in the pilot's seat and give it a try. This I know from a friend of a friend who has built one in his garage, and invariably every cocktail party ends with all the guests in the garage simming. So perhaps the problem is thanks to cheapo hardware (relative to the quite expensive realistic hardware in pro simpits) the non-initiated believe FSX is also plastic cheapo on the inside. Most folks don't realize that FSX minus the millions copies sold retail would be prohibitive to purchase and would, in fact, cost something similar to what the software for a professional simulator would go for. Cheers, - jahman.

My daughter, beer and boys. Her mother, beer and boys. The old folks, money and influence. My brother, money and stage rallying. My friends, beer and girls. And Call of Duty of course. Me, climbing and flight simming. (And beer and girls. But not Cause of Divorce.) They all think I'm very strange. But they have no interest in rocks, plants or aeroplanes. I think they (and so, by extrapolation the rest of the world) are very strange. The only passtime that could beat flight simming (other, obviously, than climbing) is flying and I simply can't afford it. I've just got home after a week and a half in the pissing rain in Torridon so I'm a tad divorced from reality...
You were unlucky, I had a week on Skye a couple of weeks ago with hardle a cloud in the sky, amazing! I dragged my wife up Blaven to a cloudless view of the whole Cuillin ridge and gave her a fright getting to the Table in the Quiriang but she doesn't really get the flight simming although she tolerates it. My daughters just think I'm a bit "sad". John

My neighbor is a pilot and simmer, so he gets it. A few gamers at work get it. The wife and daughter? Forget it. They don't understand the model trains, either. But, I don't get golf. I don't get first-person-shooters, or the joy of gardening, either. I give them their space and time, and they give me mine. We all like cooking and dining, and we're all avid skiers. To be honest, life is good.

Hi, Sim fans ! Wellll ? The **Sim** made me fly for **real** ! ! B-) One day, my birthday, I had an envelope, from children and wife. In the envelope was a receipt of a REAL "theoretical flying course", alreadypaid to a flight school ! ! ! So I "did" the course. . . and flew as is normalydone in a flight school. . . I fly virtual since Flight Sim ONE ! !and I fly for real since october 2002, after the 71 hours of training. The joke or the argument from them was : "We are tired to see you fly inthe basement of the house. So we send you fly outside" ! And since then I have flown: real Cessna 150, Cessna 172N,and Cherokee-140 with a 160 HP engine, much more interresting ! I rented a "bunch" of hours on the Cherokee. I did fly all of them,and sadly the Cherokee will move from CSB3 Beloeil to CSK3 Mascouche. It's too far to ride in the car, there. So I will come back to Cessna 172N with a flight club in CSB3.http://aeroclubfb.com/Profil.htmlhttp://aeroclubfb.com/Profil.html#photos_videos.html. . .and maybe the Grumman ??? B-) Blue skies.

I didn't get any discussion from my friends and family about FS, since they were rolling on the floor laughing when they saw my visor with the trackclip.

Art

My late wife liked me having a hobby, and sometimes flew a p-40 warhawk. She had several kills to her credit. Callsign " Blue Cougar" She also did repaints for me. people who don't get it, call it a waste of time. I sure do miss her.

I hear ya. My mother just tends to blink and then get annoyed that I buy FS stuff, which is why I stopped telling ehr about it. My father is more tolerant but still is uninterested. Friends of mine are a bit of a mix. Most of them don't quite get what I like about it. One time I was simming with my best friend. We were taxiing at ESSA for takeoff and at some point he asked me if I didn't have to urge to taxi any faster (he was bored, is why). I responded that I didn,.t that it won't be very realistic if I did that. It simply doesn't interest him, although he does tend to ask me about any flights I might have done. I had for example told him about the PMDG 737NGX and he did ask me about it several times. If I had bought it, whether I liked it, that kind of stuff. My other firneds are more or less the same. I have only two friends that really seem interested. One of them actually wants to sit through another fly, the other is fascinated by the Saitek hardware I own, but I'll get to that later. The funniest story is the one where I flew from EHAm to ESSA with my ex girlfriend. I had wanted to her to zit through it, sicne I regard FS as a rather big part of me - not knowing about it when you're this intimate with me in erm... other respects, seemed abit styrange to me. So we embarked on a flight to Stockholm. Throughout most of the flight she was pretty bored. Ya know, cuddling and kissing me whenever I ahd to fiddle with the autopilot. However, I will never forget her face during approach and landing. I had gone through all the settings in the FMC and she had seen me program everything. She thought it was kind of cool I knew how it worked. So when the plane finally touched down, she looked with complete amazement at the screen. She then looked at me, with those big, amazed eyes, and exclaimed: "Wow! the plane actually landed in Stockholm after all that fiddling with numbers!" I think that at that point she saw what it was that fascinated me about FS.

[...] So perhaps the problem is thanks to cheapo hardware (relative to the quite expensive realistic hardware in pro simpits) the non-initiated believe FSX is also plastic cheapo on the inside. Most folks don't realize that FSX minus the millions copies sold retail would be prohibitive to purchase and would, in fact, cost something similar to what the software for a professional simulator would go for. Cheers, - jahman.
Not really, I think. As I said in a previous paragraph, one friend of mine is completely fascinated by my Saitek hardware. Every time I mention simming at my place, he mentions the yoke. He really likes flying the planmes with the hardware, although I doubt he'd like to do an actual flight. Doing circuits he loves, though.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case