Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

Could someone help me understand the gear/throttle relationship?

I've found that if the idle thrust is increased on e.g. gear extension, it does not automatically restore to a lower idle on gear retraction. Best regards,Robin.
It does but make sure your physical throttle (joystick) is at idle. Has to be less than new lower minimum. It diid not on the old NG, the 744 and the MD.

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

This could also be connected to a setting: "OVERRIDE IN ARM MODE". I have this mode selected in the option meny (in CDU). Then it is most like the real plane for my opinion. Still, it is not clear if the real a/c does command the thrust leavers even if the A/T Is off or not! So it is in the PMDG and I try to find a answer on this. A pilot on ppRune told me that the A/T will NOT command any thrust leavers movement unless A/T is armed or in an active mode! THerefor, this CAN be a bug!

Okay! So how I understand it; the EEC commands higher N1 (approach idle) when gear is selected down. How to get this in FSX is to make the thrust leavers physically glides forward. So therefor the NGX is correct modelled also here! You will have 30% N1 with gear up and almost 40% N1 with gear down (approach idle)?I will ask some pilots and do some more testing in NGX when flying around at my scheduled legs : )NB! This is not for trying find some bugs, this is just for interest and wondering if I do something wrong or the program is modelled slightly from the real behaviour of the 737. FSX limitations heard realistic to me : )

To Clearify how the real A/C work's, When A/T system is OFF the thrust levers will not move automaticely. When the A/C is in air the EEC (Electronic Engine Control) will calculate the engine to flight IDLE (72 N2) when the thrust levers are at IDLE and it will not move, When the A/C goes to approach mode (gear down etc.) again the EEC will calculate the engine to approach IDLE (72 - 79 N2) and still the thrust levers are at IDLE and it will not move.

Mark Scheerman

Boeing 737-6/7/8/900 Ground Engineer

During flight, the EEC controls engine idle to satisfy idle speed requirements.The EEC software maintains flight idle at 72%. The EEC goes to the approach idle mode (72 - 79% N2) when the airplane is in flight and one of these conditions occur:
Just FYI, the NGX doesn't do that. A reason could be, well just increase thrust manually to 72% N2, this might result in rather large thrust setting so maybe it's a limitation in order not to overpower the aircraft under these conditions.
I've found that if the idle thrust is increased on e.g. gear extension, it does not automatically restore to a lower idle on gear retraction.
I've found the same and reported it to Ryan about a week ago.
It does but make sure your physical throttle (joystick) is at idle. Has to be less than new lower minimum. It diid not on the old NG, the 744 and the MD.
Sorry Dr Vaos, it does not, at least not for me. I asked Ryan about this, let me quote from my inquiry quick:
[...] the engines won't go back to flight idle. They seem to "forget" about the hardware joystick throttle position in that very moment. You could for example flick the hardware throttle forth and back quickly to get them back to flight idle. Would there be a possiblity to momantarily "check" the hardware throttle, once approach idle conditions are no longer met, in order to get the engines back to flight idle automatically (assuming the HW throttle is actually at its physical idle stop)? [...]
When you say it should do it, is this something it does in the background? Well as I said, I don't currently see it working here, but I'd certainly like to know. My hardware throttle was definately at its physical aft stop during testing. Thanks, sig.gif

Etienne, I coded in this particular thing so I know what it does. Make sure your throttle is well calibrated though.

E M V

I coded in this particular thing so I know what it does. Make sure your throttle is well calibrated though.
Ah ok - didn't mean you didn't know what it did LMAO.gif, so it in fact DOES check for HW position once flight idle conditions aren't met anymore?Not sure what to calibrate with my joystick though, I've had this MS SideWinder FF2 for years, just plug in and go. Never messed around with it in any way. Throttle seems rather precise at least. Will see what I can do. sig.gif

Press F1, slam back. The panel must read hardware throttle less than new minimum.

E M V