Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

737 NGX concerns and questions

I really want to get the 737 NGX and was ready to pull the plug tonight and get her but I really dont have a warm fuzzy feeling about getting it yet. I have seen only a few topics started where people are happy with it but I am reading post after post after post about this problem and that problem and CTD's on systems that never had issues prior, ect., ect. With all the hype and pomp and circumstance prior to the release of it I really expected more happy customers than I am seeing. Dont get me wrong, I did and do expect a certain amount of bugs and patches and such on a new add-on like this, especially with how extreemly detailed it is systems wise but I am reluctant with buying it at least for the time being. I do have a pretty good system and am running a 64 bit OS (good ol XP still) and I now run very dense scenery/autogen even at JFK or even PNW with nice results and smooth flight but fear that will all go away with the 737 NGX. So... here are a few questions for you all. I DO NOT want to make this topic one big pissing match, so if your response can't be civil I dont want to read it. Also I am not trying to make PMDG look bad in any way, I just want to be happy with my purchase. (yes I am a tightwad with my money, especially these days) 1) If you knew what you know now, would you still get the NGX? 2) Are you getting the performance expected from your system in the NGX? 3) Have you had to turn down sliders to get acceptable performance? 4) Does PMDG have a refund policy like F1 has? Thanks in advance for your answers/opinions and PLEASE lets keep this civil! Thanks, Jim

Jim Wenham

1 Yes2 Yes3 No4 No I've had almost zero issues with this amazing bird I LOVE IT!

1. Yes. I haven't had any problems with the NGX except for one where I tried to turn on auto hide the windows taskbar which caused grahpical corruption. Not sure if that is a problem of the NGX or FSX but how many times do you need to switch the taskbar autohide? I was able to save the flight and restart FSX, surprisingly the saved flight then worked perfectly. Would have been really nice if they had included a tutorial on how to start the aircraft from cold and dark though. 2. Yes. A quick framerate test gave me 70fps for the default 737, 42fps for the LevelD 767 and 37fps for the PMDG NGX 3. Yes (but then my definition of acceptable performance may be different from yours). I've turned the autogen down to sparse but still been able to land at default Melbourne and Sydney comfortably. 4. No. The last plane I bought from PMDG, the JS41, didn't work so well (with CTD's preventing me from finishing any flights) so that's $50 wasted. I was therefore a bit reluctant to get the NGX but in a moment of weakness I did. it's a bit of a gamble I'm afraid and with any thing to do with gambling you never bet more than you can afford to lose. On the whole I would have to say I am very happy with the NGX and would say it is the best airliner for FSX I have ever flown.

www.antsairplanes.com

1) Not Sure2) NO3) YES and resized panel textures (problems start with add on airports)4) NO 2xQX9775 @ 4Ghz, 12gb RAM, 2xGTX460, Win 7 64Bit. Tripplehead2Go 3840x1024

Stephen Munn

1) If you knew what you know now, would you still get the NGX?No, I would wait for a service pack, there are far too many issues on far too many systems. I am sure you have checked the PMDG NGX forum2) Are you getting the performance expected from your system in the NGX?Yes3) Have you had to turn down sliders to get acceptable performance?No4) Does PMDG have a refund policy like F1 has?No

Jay

Jim, I haven't had any of the problems that you see posted as far as CTD's or lockups. The performance isn't quite what it may have been hyped up to be. That being said, it's not too bad on my rig. I haven't adjusted any of my sliders. (too stubborn). I'm happy with the purchase so the refund policy was a non-issue. That's one of the great things about dealing with Flight 1.

NAX669.png

1 Yes2 Yes3 No4 No I've had almost zero issues with this amazing bird I LOVE IT!
Dougal said it all....

This is an amazing aircraft, and of course if you go to a support forum you're going to seemingly observe lots of people with problems. However, you'll also note that PMDG is dealing with the problems (that .1% of customers are experiencing). Their issue tracking thread demonstrates this. I am one of the customer who has had problems with panel freezing but I haven't seen it since their hot fix. This aircraft really moves the genre forward. It's groundbreaking and any flight sim fan that likes the airliner side of the hobby would be remiss to not buy this airplane.

Same for me. Hooked on this one.

1) If you knew what you know now, would you still get the NGX? Absolutely. 2) Are you getting the performance expected from your system in the NGX? YES. 3) Have you had to turn down sliders to get acceptable performance? NO.
Just go get it.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I've had a few issues with freezing... ugh - could be anything. I have a strong rig but don't have any fps issues. I still love the plane - best airliner ever created for FSX, hands down.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1) If you knew what you know now, would you still get the NGX? 110% YES! 2) Are you getting the performance expected from your system in the NGX? Beyond what I expected! 3) Have you had to turn down sliders to get acceptable performance? Not 1 bit. 4) Does PMDG have a refund policy like F1 has? I doubt it. Jim, my system isn't what you'd call perfect, not by a long shot, but I get great performance running GEX, REX, Photo scenary for Florida, and even FlyTampa- Tampa airport and the NGX. I get about 20 FPS running all this and tbh, FPS doesn't mean jack, it's all about how smooth your visual environment and everything is; and for me, it's simply amazing! I highly suggest you get the NGX man, you will not be dissapointed. The only problems i've had with the NGX have been a couple panel freezes but that's nothing a simple restart didn't solve. Good luck and keep me posted on how it goes when you buy it, Derian.

Jim, one other thing. I dont know if you use the VC or the 2D views, but if it is 2D, be aware that the throttle quadrent is not included, if that is important to you.

Jay