Sign in to follow this  
Michael Steininger

Complete Freeze in OrbX Scenery YBCS (Cairns)

For what it's worth, I've done YSCB-YBCS a few times and had no issues. The only crashes I've had seem to be flying the NGX around the Seattle area. I'm guessing the combination of NGX, ORBX, and maybe a weather program + HD clouds etc just eventually kills FSX. We're really pushing the engine past what it was designed for, a few g3d.dll failures are likely to happen in dense/highly detailed areas when as many addons as we're all running are stacked on top of each other. My suggestion for now is to lower scenery complexity and/or autogen when flying into problematic areas, as much as I hate to do so. -stefan

For what it's worth, I've done YSCB-YBCS a few times and had no issues. The only crashes I've had seem to be flying the NGX around the Seattle area. I'm guessing the combination of NGX, ORBX, and maybe a weather program + HD clouds etc just eventually kills FSX. We're really pushing the engine past what it was designed for, a few g3d.dll failures are likely to happen in dense/highly detailed areas when as many addons as we're all running are stacked on top of each other. My suggestion for now is to lower scenery complexity and/or autogen when flying into problematic areas, as much as I hate to do so. -stefan
What happend in Cairns with my System is definitively not an g3d.dll error!Paul I will try it as soon as possibel at Cairns with OrbX turned off. Regards

Here it is: YBCS to YPDN BIB1 BIB DCT KONDA J61 CRAIG CRAIG2Active Rwy in YBCS 15Active Rwy in YPDN 29FL340 Regards
Michael,I just did the route you listed using the ORBX YBCS and the NGX with the AIRAC cycle that came with the NGX and it worked fine on my rig, so I am guessing that it has nothing to do with the airac data since mine worked flawlessly.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That people with 8GB memory, i7 2600's and 460GTX GPU's have issues worries me a little though ... What kinda system do we need to run the NGX into YBBN on a dark stormy night on vatsim with FSinn on a big vatsim flyin I wonder... Trent H
2500k or 2600k is the cpu of choice, along with a 400 or 500 series GTX gpu As for issues, the freeze problem appear's to be software related and even if you have the above in your rig, won't make it a super computer. You will still have to work at set up and compromises.Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I hope to try it tonight. Have you tried the same flight plan with ORBx truned off?
Hello, I tried it with OrbX turned off. Nothing changed, same problem.

checked the route with NGX (RTM) und latest patched ORBX world without any problems, too. But the first thing i did after noticing strange behavior while choosing a STAR @PHOG (Kaluhui, Hawaii) was to reinstall the standalone AIRAC 1108 by Navigraph. I had no crash in that situation but i wasn't able to select RWY/STAR anymore. The LSK to select RWY/STAR triggered this screen:

Just a thought. I only had one freeze in my very first flight just to try out before setting up things properly and i did not have EzDok in use at that time, so i used 2D pop up view for my FMC input. After setting up, i have not had one single freeze.I notice in paul's screen shot that the FMC is in 2D. I use all preset 3D views with EzDock and never use the 2D windows. Could 2D-3D mix have anything to do with the problem?

Rick Hobbs

I see a lot of you are posting your system specs in your taglines which is good. However what you are not posting is your graphics settings in FSX. That might help the PMDG Team more if you were able to post those as well. If your running the 737-NGX on a Sandy Bridge and a GTX 400 or 500 series with all the settings maxed out and then flying into a very intensive scenery such as ORBX - YBBN, YBCS or YSCB could it be your overloading your systems? The Sandy Bridge is an Excellent Processor and the GTX 400 and 500 series are great video cards, but they won't perform miracles if your trying to max out your systems with all the sliders to the right. System SpecsQ6600 Quad core overclocked at 3.0 ghz8 Gig OCS Reaper memory8800GTX Video Card with 768 meg ramFSX and add-ons on a Dedicated DriveNick N and ******* A tweaks in FSX.Cfg FSX settings 1680x1050x32 ResolutionTarget Frame UnlimitedGlobal Textures Very HighLens Flare CheckedAdvanced Animations Checked High Resolution 3-D virtual CockpitAircraft Shadows OFFAircraft Landing Lights ON Level of Detail Radius LargeMesh Complexity 100Mesh Resolution 10mTexture Resolution 60cmWater Effects Low2xScenery Complexity Extremely DenseAutoGen Density NORMALGround Scenery Shadows OFFSpecial Effects Detail HIGH Visual Settings 60 milesDownload Winds alot CheckedDisable Thermal Turbulence near aircraft Checked (will stop the s-turning problem)Rate at which weather changes overtime 0Detailed Clouds MaximumTraffic 0I have flown into FSDreamTeam, FlyTampa, EIREsim, UK2000, LatinVFR, and Aerosoft sceneries to name a few with the above settings and have not had any problems. I also use ASE, GEX, REX, UTX and FS Global 2010.As you can see I do not have my settings maxed out but still at a quality level that I am able to enjoy my sim until I can upgrade to a Sandy Bridge. Remember that maxing out Water, Clouds and Autogen is the biggest FPS killer.Also important to note that on the ground I am using 2d-panel View, and Virtual Cockpit in the air. Will be flying down to Austrailia soon and will let you know my results with ORBX - YBBN, YBCS, YMML and YSCB.If any of you have had a problem with not being able to see the runway and papi lights on approach in 2d-panel view I changed the panel config with the following line and now I have no problem with the view. Edit your panel.cfg and change the line currently in there to the one below. I got that line from the PMDG MD-11 and it works great. VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=3.3, 0.0, 0.0Finally let me say that its possible the problems with the Airports are an AIRACS or FMC problem. But it will be much easier for the PMDG Team to track down the problem if you provide as much information as possible. (Hardware Specs, FSX Settings, Add-ons)

I think you guys are making this more difficult than what it needs to be. The issues in this thread are for sure bad navdata routines. Heck, I remember some bad navdata routines doing this same CTD/freeze stuff years ago with other aircraft. If your getting these issues just after hitting the exe button on the fmc, all arrows point to the navdata files.

Eric 

I think you guys are making this more difficult than what it needs to be. The issues in this thread are for sure bad navdata routines. Heck, I remember some bad navdata routines doing this same CTD/freeze stuff years ago with other aircraft. If your getting these issues just after hitting the exe button on the fmc, all arrows point to the navdata files.
It is most likely the AIRACS but you never know. I think one way of finding out would be to just fly in on the opposite runway with a different STAR and see if it crashes. If it doesn't then you know its the AIRACS. Might also help to try the approach in both 2d and 3d panel view to see if that makes any difference.

The Sandy Bridge is an Excellent Processor and the GTX 400 and 500 series are great video cards, but they won't perform miracles if your trying to max out your systems with all the sliders to the right.
Actually to back off "some" sliders can be counter productive and deny you quality graphics at the same time. I have set up my sliders as per the PMDG recommendations with the exception of cloud draw (i am at 60mi) and the biggest hog of them all (especially if you use REX), "WATER EFFECTS". As i am usually at around 35,000ft., i don't miss it and my performance is great, so i am set to the minimum and am considering turning it off completely until some genious comes up with a way of getting water effects without sucking the life out of my PC.

Rick Hobbs

Actually to back off "some" sliders can be counter productive and deny you quality graphics at the same time. I have set up my sliders as per the PMDG recommendations with the exception of cloud draw (i am at 60mi) and the biggest hog of them all (especially if you use REX), "WATER EFFECTS". As i am usually at around 35,000ft., i don't miss it and my performance is great, so i am set to the minimum and am considering turning it off completely until some genious comes up with a way of getting water effects without sucking the life out of my PC.
My point was even the best systems out there right now will still struggle with the NGX+ORBX+ADDONs with full sliders to the right. To see if it was possible that people were overloading their systems at this airport I suggested backing off on some of the graphics as a test. Thats how you track down errors by trying different settings.

I can only repeat what I posted many times now and what helped me and others: when using the NGX with addons like ORBX and especially REX you can possibly avoid OOMs or even BSODs when you set your REX texture size to 1024. Even if you used some HD textures before, 1024 is not that bad and cured my OOMs over Australia completely.

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Here it is: YBCS to YPDN BIB1 BIB DCT KONDA J61 CRAIG CRAIG2Active Rwy in YBCS 15Active Rwy in YPDN 29FL340 Regards
It let me enter your flight path and activate it, but some moments later, when I was trying to enter the crz level on the PERF INIT page, it decided to take a nap. I suspect something in the AIRAC disagrees with the FMC. Task manager reports FSX not responding and I still hear the cockpit noise even when it no longer has focus. I gave it 5 minutes then ended the task.

I can only repeat what I posted many times now and what helped me and others: when using the NGX with addons like ORBX and especially REX you can possibly avoid OOMs or even BSODs when you set your REX texture size to 1024. Even if you used some HD textures before, 1024 is not that bad and cured my OOMs over Australia completely.
I have never had an OOM error with FSX Ever! I have the PMDG 737-NGX, MD-11X and 747-400x. I am a big time Long Hauler and have done flights up to 18.5 hours in the 747-400. Since many other people seem to suffer from OOMs, I suspect that having a 64-bit operating System and plenty of Ram is why I have never experienced an 00M. I am on Windows Vista 64-bit and 8 gig of system memory. What some people don't realize is if you are using 32-bit Windows and you have a GTX580 Video Card installed (Example) which has 1.5 gig of memory on board you just lost 1.5 gig of your system memory, so now your down to 2.5 gig of total system memory availabe. If you had a Video Card with 2 gig of memory on board you total system memory just dropped to 2 gig. This was not a problem in the old days when video card memory was 256 meg or less, but with some manufacturers coming out with Dual GPU cards with 3 gig of memory on board well you can see how bad it gets. Just think if you had a 3 gig video card, then you only would have 1 gig of total system memory left that was usable. With 64-bit windows you do not have this limitation, that is why it is highly recommended for people to run 64-bit windows with PMDG Planes. You can read more about the 32-bit memory limitation here. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605 The reason I upgraded to 64-bit a long time ago was when I had 2 8800GTX cards in SLI mode to play Crysis Warhead and Call of Duty 4. Each video Card has 768 meg ram so I lost 1.5 gig of my available system memory just like you would having a GTX580. I do have REX Overdrive and have used 4096x4096 resolution, 2048x2048 resolution and 1024x1024 resolution. What resolution I use for a specific flight depends on how complex the scenery is at the arrival airport. If its ORBX im going with 1024x1024 resolution. Most every other situation I use 2048x2048.