Sign in to follow this  
henri5

Other manuals for the 737 NGX

If you are like me, except for the introduction manual and the tutorial, you find that the other NGX manuals are really written as reference manuals for pilots who have already been trained in the 737. And who knows what tutorial 2 will contain? I found some good manuals for the older 737 NG for FS 2004 from PMDG! Particularly useful is the manual for the FMC. It goes into detail about programming it, and explains very line of every screen in an easy-to-understand manner. Sure there are a few differences between that FMC and the one for FSX, but these differences are minor and easy to spot. And after all, both models are for the same plane, the B737 NG. After reading through this manual, I have learned a lot. So if you have been wondering what those lines in the "DES" screen or any other arcana means, download those free manuals from the PMDG site to satisfy your hunger for more NGX training. I haven't had a chance to read the other manuals yet, but if they are as useful as the FMC manual, they will be very useful. Henri

Henri Arsenault

I bet even some real world NG pilots I'm sure loathe the reference documents of the aircraft and would welcome the opportunity to read documentation written in a different manner. The Boeing manuals have always been pretty good since the old days to try and keep things concise and readable...but...you can only go so far! It's a never ending battle of readability and comprehension vs. getting the right content in. Good on ya for searching out those docs!

In Ryanair we all get a copy of the Boeing 737NG CBT. ( Computer Based Training ) Basically it is the manuals but in a multimedia format with sound, pic and animations.I only use those for checking things.Very interesting and great to watch. Fred.

If you are like me, except for the introduction manual and the tutorial, you find that the other NGX manuals are really written as reference manuals for pilots who have already been trained in the 737. And who knows what tutorial 2 will contain? I found some good manuals for the older 737 NG for FS 2004 from PMDG! Particularly useful is the manual for the FMC. It goes into detail about programming it, and explains very line of every screen in an easy-to-understand manner. Sure there are a few differences between that FMC and the one for FSX, but these differences are minor and easy to spot. And after all, both models are for the same plane, the B737 NG. After reading through this manual, I have learned a lot. So if you have been wondering what those lines in the "DES" screen or any other arcana means, download those free manuals from the PMDG site to satisfy your hunger for more NGX training. I haven't had a chance to read the other manuals yet, but if they are as useful as the FMC manual, they will be very useful. Henri
Henri, Can you tell us where to find these manuals? I don't see them on PMDG's documentation page (and it looks like they may have been removed). Thanks,James

Henri, Can you tell us where to find these manuals? I don't see them on PMDG's documentation page (and it looks like they may have been removed). Thanks,James
They are still there for me. On the PMDG entry page for the 737NG (found by doing a google search for "737NG manuals", under "downloads" press "documentation" and there is documentation for the various PMDG planes including the 737NG. Initially I downloaded them because I though they were for the NGX, but they are useful anyway. Henri

Henri Arsenault

If you are seeking more information on the 737, I would highly recommend purchasing a Cockpit Companion. I happen to have the 737 Combo Cockpit Companion in addition to the PMDG Chief Pilot Set and find it invaluable. The companions are made for different variants, so make sure and choose the one that best fits your needs. www.cockpitcompanion.com I also recommend the following site as an invaluable resource as well www.b737.org.uk Regards, Bob Modrowski

They are still there for me. On the PMDG entry page for the 737NG (found by doing a google search for "737NG manuals", under "downloads" press "documentation" and there is documentation for the various PMDG planes including the 737NG. Initially I downloaded them because I though they were for the NGX, but they are useful anyway. Henri
Yeah, that's the way I got to the documentation page as well, but like I said, they just aren't there anymore (and according to the Internet Archive they used to be not that long ago). Oh well! Thanks anyway. James

I looove the 'manual flight techniques' document for the FS2004 NG. I printed them out years ago and find them extremely handy now with the new NGX.

Yeah, that's the way I got to the documentation page as well, but like I said, they just aren't there anymore (and according to the Internet Archive they used to be not that long ago). Oh well! Thanks anyway. James
Too bad. Would have liked to have a look at them. Any chance of re-posting them, PMDG?

This is REALLY a cheap shot by PMDG! There is a lack of information about the NGX, and buyers find manuals on the PMDG site to tide them over until the promised lessons appear, and when PMDG finds out they block the downloads! Presumably this is to increase sales of the not-yet-existing tutorials that are not yet available. What a money-grubbing decision showing disregard for the welfare of customers who bought a game with insufficient documentation that for the most part only pilots already trained in the aircraft can follow. And to make things worse, the most useful now-hidden manual is the one on programming the FMC, which will be the LAST of the commercial online videos and probably not on sale for another year. Well although I got all the manuals before you blocked the downloads, I am really ticked off about all the poor guys like me who have difficulty understanding how to program the FMC because of the scanty documentation that they paid for. SHAME ON YOU PMDG!!!Money%20Eyes.gif Henri

Henri Arsenault

Wow.... really Henri? Scanty documentation? 'Not sure if trolling or just really stupid.' As they say...

He's got a legit beef in my opinion...it's sorta underhanded to just sweep 'em away like that. Whatever PMDG can do what it wants I suppose.

Speaking for myself,I found the information in the tutorial more than enough to get me up and running,and have been running ever since.And it included everything to program the FMC too.

If it is so clear, why do so many other people want more info, and if it is not necessary, why did PMDG remove the downloads? Why do they expect to make money from expensive video tutorials? Although the tutorial is an extremely well-done document and explains the FMC sufficiently well to do the tutorial and to set up and fly other flights, there are a number of advanced features that are not explained, but which are explained in the removed NG manuals (and which may or may not be explained in tutorial 2). For example there is no explanation in the manual for the meaning of the items on the des page, and a detailed explanation of how to input a flight plan is missing (one example is not enough - how does one for example choose the transition that was chosen in the tutorial? It just pops up without warning, Why was there a transition chosen for the STAR and none for the SID?). Why is there a need for a tutorial 2 at all? If you are like me, you have probably already flown other complex big jets like the level D or the Capt Sim 767 or other PDMG aircraft. But for a newbie who comes into this simulation directly from the default FSX aircraft, the transition to the 737 NGX can be a very big step. I have already read through the whole 400+ pages of the "training manual", and it is clear to me that this well-done manual is aimed at pilots who have ALREADY been trained in the 737NG. As for the two other 2000+ page documents, they are clearly reference documents that contain a lot of useless information and that are of little use to a beginner. I stand my my statement that PMDG's removal of the 737 NG documents is a slap in the face to buyers of the NGX version. If PMDG considered that those documents are useless for NGX, they would not have hurried to remove them as soon as they saw interest in downloading them. Contrary to most people here, I HAVE those documents and I consider hat I have learned a lot from that FMC manual. Henri

Henri Arsenault