Sign in to follow this  
jbassue

Max Rate or Max Angle?

Does anyone care to explain both?> If possible state under what conditions you would use either.> Point me to any part in the manual?> How does the NG benefit from either?Thanks guys, simple questions tongue.pngEDIT : I tried putting some common sense towards them, but I came to a conclusion that both do the same thing?If you fly at the Max Angle = Trade off Airspeed Speed for VS?" " " "" " "" """ " " "" Rate = Same thing no? Also, how does one go about on the Cost Index, what is a natural Cost Index for the NG?I'm sorry about asking these questions that could be found in manuals, I'm not on my computer however.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

You always normally use max rate since you want to reach your cruise altitude as soon as posiible.But during takeoff and climb-out from say an airport located in the valley surrounded by high terrain you want to climb at max angle since this gives you best way to avoid terrain. Max angle speed (Vx) is always less than max rate speed (Vy).So no, they do not do the same thing. This applies to all aircraft.

Max angle will get you the most altitude gain in regard to distance. Max climb will get you the most climb in regard to time. Max angle will help out if you are dealing with obstacles or terrain. Max climb would be used if you are trying to get to the highest altitude in a given time. For example you are cruising along on approach at a low altitude and you get ye old whoop whoop pull up terrain warning or the wind shear warning . You would select max power, clean up(or GA config) and raise your nose towards the PLI or stick shaker and get away from the ground quickly. You would get your best gain near stall speed. But over time that would be inefficient. With best rate you will climb at your most efficient speed. Your climb schedule is based on this.

Max angle will get you the most altitude gain in regard to distance (over the gound). Max climb will get you the most climb in regard to time. Max angle will help out if you are dealing with obstacles or terrain. Max climb would be used if you are trying to get to the highest altitude in a given time. For example you are cruising along on approach at a low altitude and you get ye old whoop whoop pull up terrain warning or the wind shear warning . You would raise your nose towards the PLI or stick shaker and get away from the ground quickly. You would get your best gain near stall speed. But over time that would be inefficient. With best rate you will climb at your most efficient speed. Your climb schedule is based on this.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules