I switched on my PC this morning, only to discover that there is something wrong with it. In short, it fails to boot up. After the Asus motherboard screen appears (which stays on screen far longer than normal), I get the following messages..... Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082) For Attansic L1 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller v 1.0.20.11 Client Mac Addr: (a string of numbers and characters)GUID: (another string of numbers and characters) PXE-E53: no boot filename receivedPXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE-ROM Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device, and press a key. I have checked the wires to the hard disk, but the problem persists. The orange hard disk light is permanently on. Does anyone have any ideas? I suspect that the hard disk has failed, or maybe even the BIOS. Asus P5K-SE motherboardIntel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz4GB PC2-8500 RAM512MB GeForce 9800GTWindows Vista64

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yup, sounds like your Hard Drive has borked. It may be just the software corrupted, or maybe the drive itself.

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Go into the BIOS first and see if the HDD's are detected. It could be the boot partition which has gone corrupted. During POST any info on the HDD's ? HDD LED is always on sounds like trouble but check in the BIOS first. any particular noise coming out from the HDD's ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Try the Windows installation CD, or use a usb drive with a Linux OS to see if it boots

If you cannot start your system from the hard disk, insert your Windows 7 installation media anduse it as a boot device. After selecting the language, time and currency formats, and the keyboardinputmethod on the opening screen, click Next. On the following screen, select Repair YourComputer. The system searches for recovery options.The System Recovery Options screen appears. It should find your Windows installation, which itidentifies by partition size and drive letter. You’re presented with these options:• Use Recovery Tools that Can Help Fix Problems Starting Windows. Select an Operating Systemto Repair.• Restore Your Computer Using a System Image that YouCreated Earlier.The first option gives you access to the full set of SystemRecovery tools; the second option enables you to restore yourcomputer from a system image, if you created one before losingthe ability to start Windows. You’ll use the first optionmost of the time when troubleshooting Windows 7 startupproblems.

I have done several tests, and it seems virtually certain that the hard disk has failed. The Windows Repair option can't even find a disk, never mind a Windows installation! Anyway, it's irrelevant now. I have been thinking about purchasing a new PC for the last month or two, and this has convinced me. I have just ordered a new i5 2500k PC (overclocked to 4.7Ghz), and I can't wait to see the difference that it makes to framerates in FSX smile.png

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have done several tests, and it seems virtually certain that the hard disk has failed. The Windows Repair option can't even find a disk, never mind a Windows installation! Anyway, it's irrelevant now. I have been thinking about purchasing a new PC for the last month or two, and this has convinced me. I have just ordered a new i5 2500k PC (overclocked to 4.7Ghz), and I can't wait to see the difference that it makes to framerates in FSX smile.png
Any excuse huh? ;) Welcome to the sandybridge club lol. You building it yourself or you ordered a whole system from one of the big internet suppliers?

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

As I said continuous light could mean a problem. Were you able to see the HDD 's in the CMOS ?

You building it yourself or you ordered a whole system from one of the big internet suppliers?
I have ordered the PC from a company called DinoPC, and customised it to my own specification (based on the options available).
Were you able to see the HDD 's in the CMOS ?
No drives were detected in the CMOS.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have ordered the PC from a company called DinoPC, and customised it to my own specification (based on the options available). No drives were detected in the CMOS.
Ok, try this change the power connection of the HDD to an another one. see if it comes up.

yeah, or you can try different SATA ports in your motherboard too

This happened to my old PC. Took it to some pc doctor and he said he can't fix it, it was only a HDD, and said the disc drive, graphics card and motherboard needed to be replaced. He suggested a new pc. i7 2600 and a whopping GT 430 for $999. I said F*** no! And built myself a new one.

yeah, or you can try different SATA ports in your motherboard too
Yep check on different SATA ports. You can touch the HDD when the machine is on if it has crashed you will feel a different vibration and a hear different noise.