Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Can't engage reverse thrust immediately after touchdown, please help

Hello,i have the PMDG 737NGX for eh... I don't exactly know for how long... But whatever. A small problem I'm having since the beginning is that I can't engage reverse thrust immediately after the main landing has touched down. My Saitek Pro Flight Trottle Quadrant reverse position has been programmed to FSX's F2 key (decrease thrust quickly). I always can engage rev thrust immediately after touchdown in any airplane, but not in this one. When I engage reverse position after touchdown, reverse thrust engages after about 3-5 seconds, at about 100 kts. That means I only have reverse thrust on for a few seconds. I think this has something to do with the engines, not fully being at idle at touchdown, instead they are a approach idle, about 35-40% N1. Is there maybe a setting I have to change? Thrust override is set to NEVER. Maybe that's it or something? I noticed that in the real airplane reverse thrust is always engaged immediately after the main gear has touched down, I want to do this too! Any help would be appreciated!Thanks in advance,Arjen Vandervelde

Seems 3-5sec is normal unless you have the short field package.The Short Field Performance improvement package was developed in 2005/6 to allow GOL airlines to operate their 737-800s into the 1,465m (4,800ft) Santos Dumont airport. The modifications enable weight increases of approx 4,700kg (10,000lbs) for landing and 1,700kg (3,750lbs) for take-off from short runways. It includes the following changes:

• Flight spoilers are capable of 60 degree deflection on touchdown by addition of increased stroke actuators. This compares to the current 33/38 degrees and reduces stopping distances by improving braking capability.
  • Slats are sealed for take-off to flap position 15 (compared to the current 10) to allow the wing to generate more lift at lower rotation angles.
  • Slats only travel to Full Ext when TE flaps are beyond 25 (compared to the current 5). Autoslat function available from flap 1 to 25.
  • Flap load relief function active from flap 10 or greater.
  • Two-position tailskid that extends an extra 127mm (5ins) for landing protection. This allows greater angles of attack to be safely flown thereby reducing Vref and hence landing distance.
  • Main gear camber (splay) reduced by 1 degree to increase uniformity of braking across all MLG tyres.
  • Reduction of engine idle-thrust delay time from 5s to 2s to shorten landing roll.
  • FMC & FCC software revisions.

Same problem and I can't see any way around it given the situation with the modelling of the engine idle states. Obvisouly there's noting PMDG can do about that either so we will likely just have to live with it. The best compromise I've found is that if you cycle the levers down twice in very quick succession, this engages reverse thrust fine.

I have a Saitek Throttle, and do Not have these problems !The Throttle is configured via FSUIPC. As long I am Flying in AT-Mode, I let the levers to Full all the time.First when I touch down I pull the levers to idle and then imedalaty to Reverse Position, the Engines then go to Reverse Trust at once.Instead sometimes the Autobreakes disarms ?!?!You can not have everyting working......... :)RegardsFrank Bastiansen

Throttles need to be at idle unless you are conducting an autoland. Set idle on your throttle controller well before touchdown - don't worry, AT will control your throttle during approach. Before touchdown disengage AT, at flare height press F1, press and hold F2 for a few seconds as the wheels touch. Voilla! Reverse thrust. Some throttle controllers are jerky when absolute idle is selected - try recalibrating, as this would move the actual throttle of idle and reverse thrust will not activate! And yes, everything should work! Even if it takes a few tears and endless hours of fine tuning! Happy landings!! dance.gif

Throttles need to be at idle unless you are conducting an autoland. Set idle on your throttle controller well before touchdown - don't worry, AT will control your throttle during approach. Before touchdown disengage AT, at flare height press F1, press and hold F2 for a few seconds as the wheels touch. Voilla! Reverse thrust. Some throttle controllers are jerky when absolute idle is selected - try recalibrating, as this would move the actual throttle of idle and reverse thrust will not activate! And yes, everything should work! Even if it takes a few tears and endless hours of fine tuning! Happy landings!! dance.gif
Just
Hello, i have the PMDG 737NGX for eh... I don't exactly know for how long... But whatever. A small problem I'm having since the beginning is that I can't engage reverse thrust immediately after the main landing has touched down. My Saitek Pro Flight Trottle Quadrant reverse position has been programmed to FSX's F2 key (decrease thrust quickly). I always can engage rev thrust immediately after touchdown in any airplane, but not in this one. When I engage reverse position after touchdown, reverse thrust engages after about 3-5 seconds, at about 100 kts. That means I only have reverse thrust on for a few seconds. I think this has something to do with the engines, not fully being at idle at touchdown, instead they are a approach idle, about 35-40% N1. Is there maybe a setting I have to change? Thrust override is set to NEVER. Maybe that's it or something? I noticed that in the real airplane reverse thrust is always engaged immediately after the main gear has touched down, I want to do this too! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance, Arjen Vandervelde
Just checking that you have F2 mapped to repeat on the joystick button?

Arjen, Assign a button to 'F1' to use after touchdown, this will kill the thrust and then your reverse lever should work. Thats how I have had to configure the Saitek X52 Pro, otherwise a double drop of the throttle is required.