Sign in to follow this  
jncgn

Overclocking - Worth it?

Hey everybody, in normal conditions, I'm happy with my system's overall performance. With heavy thunderstorms and rain (common these days in europe when you fly with real weather... ), my FPS drop a bit though. When building my system, I (at least think so) chose components, that would make overclocking possible (besides the boxed cooler).Does anybody have a comparison from his system (maybe somebody with an i5 too?) that shows if it's worth the risk (loss of warranty and so on), or at least any tips? Any help is very appreciated, thanks!

Hi Jens, Overclock will surely help.One question, i see that you have 8gb of ram, what configuration do you have?if you have 4 sticks of 2gb your overclocking capabilities will be affected.If you have 2 sticks of 4gb then you will have no issues at all. you will need a better cooler I have similar setup to yours, same CPU but different mobo and ram. I could guide you how to overclock, but it is nicely written here http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/1Have a look and let us know if you get stuck.

Hi Vedran, I have 2x4GB. I'll have a look at your link, thank you!

Hey everybody, in normal conditions, I'm happy with my system's overall performance. With heavy thunderstorms and rain (common these days in europe when you fly with real weather... ), my FPS drop a bit though. When building my system, I (at least think so) chose components, that would make overclocking possible (besides the boxed cooler).Does anybody have a comparison from his system (maybe somebody with an i5 too?) that shows if it's worth the risk (loss of warranty and so on), or at least any tips? Any help is very appreciated, thanks!
Looking at your setup id strongly suggest researching and buying an aftermarket cooler.Then OC! those 2500k/2600k chips are monsters, and FSX loves the Ghz.

Jason Aerts

İ have i5 760 processor OC'ed to 3.8 GHz and it is absolutely worth overclocking it. I did not overclock my 2x4 (8 GB) 1600 MHz RAM and don't know how to it, and i did not OC my GTX460 either. Might overclocking them help me gainerformance?

Murat Okay

Turkish Virtual Airlines

Senior Captain

www.turkishvirtual.com

İ have i5 760 processor OC'ed to 3.8 GHz and it is absolutely worth overclocking it. I did not overclock my 2x4 (8 GB) 1600 MHz RAM and don't know how to it, and i did not OC my GTX460 either. Might overclocking them help me gainerformance?
As long as the ram is at at spec speeds, I'd leave it alone.The 460, on the other hand, can be overclocked in moments with MSI Afterburn utility. Check stability with Furmark.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

As long as the ram is at at spec speeds, I'd leave it alone.The 460, on the other hand, can be overclocked in moments with MSI Afterburn utility. Check stability with Furmark.
Thx for the advice sir.

Murat Okay

Turkish Virtual Airlines

Senior Captain

www.turkishvirtual.com

I gained about a 25% increase in FSX performance OC my i5 750 to 4GHz. I left the motherboard (ASUS) voltage setings at default and it changes them automatically, this ended up far more stable than me changing them. I also have no trouble leaving SpeedStep enabled which winds down the CPU multiplier/voltage when it's idling. Download the following programs: RealTemp - monitors CPU core temperatures, OCCT: tests for system stability, MSI Afterburner: nVidia overclocking tool, GPU-z: Monitors nvidia parameters, CPU-z - monitors CPU parameters. Heat is a major factor to watch out for, like other posters have mentioned, you'll need a new CPU heatsink before you do anything. My rig's watercooled, so I just hear a slight gurgling noise at full boost.

Do you get pretty decent performance with your i5 2500k? I want to build a new computer, but I don't want to utilize the cash outlay for a top of the line system. I figured the i5 2500k was a pretty good compromise in terms of price and performance. Thanks. -johnny rodgers

I gained about a 25% increase in FSX performance OC my i5 750 to 4GHz. I left the motherboard (ASUS) voltage setings at default and it changes them automatically, this ended up far more stable than me changing them. I also have no trouble leaving SpeedStep enabled which winds down the CPU multiplier/voltage when it's idling. Download the following programs: RealTemp - monitors CPU core temperatures, OCCT: tests for system stability, MSI Afterburner: nVidia overclocking tool, GPU-z: Monitors nvidia parameters, CPU-z - monitors CPU parameters. Heat is a major factor to watch out for, like other posters have mentioned, you'll need a new CPU heatsink before you do anything. My rig's watercooled, so I just hear a slight gurgling noise at full boost.
So how much voltage is that motherboard pumping into your processor automatically? I'm sure it's grossly more than needed!Heat is much less an issue with these 2nd gen i7s. I still suggest a descent cooler before trying anything.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I monitored it running OCCT for a couple of hours and the voltages were almost identical to manual settings on the same rigs. My CPU temp never goes over 80 anyway. Bah, now you've made me feel guilty and I'm going to start messing around with it again :(

I monitored it running OCCT for a couple of hours and the voltages were almost identical to manual settings on the same rigs. My CPU temp never goes over 80 anyway. Bah, now you've made me feel guilty and I'm going to start messing around with it again :(
Haha! If it isn't broken, don't fix it! As long as you monitored the voltages for a while.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Last time I used 'AUTO' for CPUv, I fried perfectly good C2DShocked.gif

Do you get pretty decent performance with your i5 2500k? I want to build a new computer, but I don't want to utilize the cash outlay for a top of the line system. I figured the i5 2500k was a pretty good compromise in terms of price and performance. Thanks. -johnny rodgers
See my sig. I am very pleased. Only o/c the CPU and left everything Else alone. My Asus Board makes o/c easy. Just raised The multiplier and that's it. Voltage under load is 1.38. Passed all memtests incl the Intel one

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"