Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

My new system that I use for business......I mean the NGX

Well I have needed a new system for awhile, but I have been waiting for the NGX because, as much as I use my computer for work, I use it for fun too, LOL. After reading many of Ryan's, (and others), responses to the plethora of, "what components for my new build," posts, I finally bought all I needed and built my first computer: Build: Intel i7 2600k (not OCed yet, but will once I know everything is stable)Asus P8Z68 ProCorsair Vengeance memory (8 GB)Cooler Master CPU cooler 950 watt Antec Power supply300 GB Velociraptor HD And migrated from my old system:Radeon HD5870 Eyefinity 6 on a 23 in monitor with a 19in monitor on either side 80 GB SSD (for FS) but need a bigger oneSB XiFi Extreme Some things I plan on getting in the future:Larger caseLiquid Cooling (maybe)Larger SSD I got the Antec Illusion 300 case, which I regret as it's a little too small for all I stuffed into it. And the results are great! Frames are locked in at 30 FPS in almost all situations, and never below 20-22. No stutters...it's a dream. The only issue I had was a random complete system freeze. After a lot of trouble shooting I think I determined that it was a bad WiFi driver. I changed that and haven't had a freeze yet, but I'm going to give it a few days before I slowly start to OC it. Thanks to this community as a whole for helping me figure out how to do this!

Noah Bryant

Good luck and enjoy. I just put a new processor in but knew the mobo had faults. I replaced that too and then slowly started to overclock, theirs a bit more to go yet with it. I`m really enjoying simming much much more including the 737 NGX. For me the biggest change has been something I never planned, thats EZDok, stunning is not enough to describe the effects! Just take your time with it and don`t raise it beyond expectations to a limit thats going to make it unreliable now or in the future. I`m no expert but this is my third OC and only a power outage at a sub station has caused damage when my PSU blew a week later, low power running killed it and allegedly its what happens. I aim to go to about 3.5 but its probably good for 3.8, but the former will suffice for me. Take care and good luck,

So I am presuming that for you work you need hyper threading otherwise what a big waste of money.

Yeah, if you're not using it for a lot of video projects I'd go for the i5-2500k & save $100. They both perform identically in FSX.

Yeah, if you're not using it for a lot of video projects I'd go for the i5-2500k & save $100. They both perform identically in FSX.
For whatever reason I found that the 2600K works just a bit better with HT on then off and remember Flight should be able to take advantage of this technology when it comes out v

I dont even know what hyper threading does but I do a lof of graphics design and I make time lapse movies on the side for fun. Seriosuly though I just spent a little over a grand on a computer that probably would have cost 2-3 for me to just buy with a brand name on it, I'm not complaining about a hundred bucks.

Should have went with 1600mhz ram.
Angelo - I went with what was suggested to me to go with the MoBo, will that MoBo take faster ram?

Noah Bryant

Hyperthreading uses the 4 physical cores in the processor to generate an additional 4 virtual cores. It's only really useful in applications that can run multiple processes independent of each other, which makes it great for encoding/compressing audio/video or serious 3-d applications (think Pixar movies). Disabling HT can help with overclocks as it generally reduces temps slightly.

Should have went with 1600mhz ram.
Doesn't make a difference on the sandy bridge platforms.

Noah, you don't have any problems with your ATI5870 card and FSX? I'm curious since personally I need to apply Bojotes magic to get my FSX goodlooking but then I need a FPS-limiter in order to not get stutters. However, with the fps-limiter configured I also need to disable my second monitor before starting up FSX, otherwise I will just be looking at two black screens! I'd wouldn't mind NOT having to change my video card (to say an Nvidia 570) in order to save some money, so I'm interested in your findings. Oh, btw any of your betas coming up? :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Hi Krister- None at all. I fly in windowed mode though. I just now tried full screen mode and it worked fine however. My FPS limiter is set to 60 fps (I put FS on two monitors so this will lock it at 30). I use Bojotes tweaks, plus the tweaks in the NGX intro and nothing else. And yes, I haven't forgotten you :) you will be hearing from me within a month (i hope) on a big one, and a smaller one soon too.

Noah Bryant

Though the 2600 is great, I still bet my 990X CPU with an NVidia 590 card delivers better performance.

Paul Gugliotta

Though the 2600 is great, I still bet my 990X CPU with an NVidia 590 card delivers better performance.
It'd be similar. I'll still keep my 2600k @ 4.6GHz, plus the difference in cost between the two covered my 2nd GTX580 and 2 more monitors.