Sign in to follow this  
CrashEd

ATi Settings for NGX

Lol, everyone is coming out of the wood work who I know who have bough the NGX - and they are descending on me for FSX performance advice! Tweeking has become second nature to me, but I have to admit to knowing nothing about ATi cards. I've always been an Nvidia man, for obvious reasons. Can anyone recommend any good settings for an ATi HD5870, or any top-end ATi card for that matter? Also, what about FSX internal settings? (Trilinear, AA etc) Cheers!Ed

Ed Haslam

Thanks I'll give it a try. What fps are you getting, roughly. Also, what about your FSX settings?

Ed Haslam

Here is how i got my overclocked 5870 running for fsx.. Using ATI Tray Tools, instead of the original Catalyst software, as I have severe driver crashes and other such things with it. Running at 1920x1080x32 in dx9 with unlimited frames, got full settings on aircraft except ground shadows, Scenery is set to medium and water effects to high 2.x , scenery complex to extremely dense and autogen to sparse (this is due to my slow HDD i think.. really helped on my performance) ground shadows off, special effects high, clouds to 100mi, coverage to max, but limited visibilty in ASE to 70-80mi i think, Ai airline trafic to 35% and GA to 5%, airport vehicle to medium and ships and ferries to 20% rest off... Getting around 15-60fps, average around 35 with the ngx fullscreen in the VC, it's better outside. Only got default scenery and 512x512 clouds.. One thing Ati cards really hate is the clouds.. I have found lowering cloud texture resolution and lower water shaders help on performance..Anti-Aliasing is hard on it to, you can get a little boost, if you use another mode for it instead of super-sample Going back to nvidia next time, can't say iv been that happy with this ati card.. But could not get a nvidia with dx11 at the time :\ And CPU is I7 950 @ 3.7GHz, with 3x2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz with Win7 64bit Getting around the same performance as i did with the JS4100.. btw my fsx cfg is ******* tweaked + a bit of my own Overall the NGX is running really smooth, no lag with TrackIR 5, so it's a real joy.. :D EDIT:: Filtering is set to Anisotropic, and AA is set to none within FSX. - Ketil P