Sign in to follow this  
crosswind

Peculiar/Sporadic FSX CTDs

For about six months or so I have been experiencing random CTDs. Some begin when hitting the fly now button and other show themselves just before the start-up selection screen. Now if that isn't odd enough, here is what i have noticed, but have not been able to pin-point a cause. These CTDs are still present even though i have:1 Un-installed and re-installed video drivers2. Created new FSX.CFGs3. Disabled most modules from loading (this was my initial thought since I was getting an EZDok Camera handle exception error message - so I un-installed that too), then reloaded all modules one-by-one.4. Un-installed almost all my sceneries - same thing.5. Changed all my REX textures to 1024 from 2048, and actually un-installed and re-installed REX6. Removed and re-seated hardware components***The only thing I have not done is UN-INSTALL and RE-INSTALL FSX***The crashes point to the same error message/file "visualfx.dll" I have done some Google searching and lurked deep into some forums but with not much success in finding a solution. Then it dawned on me the other morning after trying to get some flying time in the PMDG 737 the night before, which by the way I could not because the bleeping sim kept crashing, that my FSX crashes anytime I try to fly or load the sim after or between 2200L and 0515L (this realization hit me when I cranked up the sim in frustration expecting it to crash again at 0800L). So if I load the sim after 2200L and I have to change the time on my PC to a time prior to that. I am at this point somewhat baffled I even updated my FSUIPC thinking that may have been causing a hangup somewhere, but it was not. I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit and you can see my specs in my sig. at the bottom. If i can provide any further info please let me know. Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light in the dark tunnel (well it is not completely dark because I can sim during the day, but not by night).

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Guest firehawk44

You are probably missing some files in your effects folder that are associated with the visualfx. I've seen this happen several times. Some program, like GEX or UTX or FEX or whatever, deletes these effects and uses their own modified versions. I'm do not know what program does that and I am NOT blaming GEX, UTX, or FEX. Those were just examples for my explanation. When you uninstall one of these commercial scenery/aircraft programs, things can get messed up as they may not restore things the way they were. The easy thing to do (easy for me to say!!) is save your FSX.cfg, your dll.xml, and maybe your working scenery.cfg. Make sure UAC and any anti-virus programs have been disabled. Insert your FSX disk and select "Repair" as the option. Do not uninstall! Once completed, do the same for Acceleration - do a repair. If you do not have Acceleration, you'll have to click on SP1 and SP2 and select 'repair' when those programs start up. Next you'll need to double-click on REX and reinstall those textures using their "repair" option but I would run FSX first and see if the problem is fixed first. Hopefully this will fix your issue(s). When I installed FSX, one of the first things I did was backup the Effects folder as something has deleted fx files on several occasions causing some unexplained problems. You can go back in and rename your old FSX.cfg for the new repair or rebuild the config. Good luck! The time you fly shouldn't create startup issues but maybe it is awfully late to be flying. laugh.png Best regards,Jim

Jim, thanks for your input, but the problem still exists. guess I will do a re-install when I can find the time.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos