Sign in to follow this  
bloxboy

SSD or Sata III Mech Drive ?

Hi Guys, Would FSX (and other stuff) load faster with a SSD drive or a Sata III mechanical drive. I am having both fitted to my new system,and I was thinking of having the SSD drive as the boot drive, and FSX on the Sata III drive. Just one other question, is there any advantage with Windows 7 PRO 64bit, over, Windows 7 HOME 64bit, with running FSX and other stuff. Thanks all for looking. JCC.

Guest jahman

SSD is 10x faster for scenery loading at FSX start-up! Cheers, - jahman.

+1 on jahman. If you can get a SATAIII SSD over a SATAII SSD even better. They have reads of up to over 540MB/s

Win 7 and FSX on one 120GB SSD? You must have a small FSX folder or not many addons!!!!

My FSX install is 81.3GB including GEX, REX and UTX. So that will fit alongside the OS on the SSD easily

Win 7 takes up less than 20 GB leaving plenty of room for FSX and add-ons.

Exactly. I'm getting a Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD in my new system. I'll get FSX, OS and all of my GEX (Eu & USA), REX & UTX (Eu, Can, USA).

My OS+FSX drive already hit the 100GB mark... it depends really. If you have photoscenery for example it's not feasible to have it all in an SSD, unless you have money to burn, that is

+1 on dazz. If you've got a deep pocket, grab a SSD and a 600GB Vrap....or just get 2 massive PCI-e SSD's....

My OS+FSX drive already hit the 100GB mark... it depends really. If you have photoscenery for example it's not feasible to have it all in an SSD, unless you have money to burn, that is
I really think Intel's SRT is the way to go. I DOES actually increase your HDD performance by 4x. Only if you have a Z68 mobo so it is a miss for a lot.

I really think Intel's SRT is the way to go. I DOES actually increase your HDD performance by 4x. Only if you have a Z68 mobo so it is a miss for a lot.
Can you do a quick test please Andrew? Load FSX, note how long it takes to loadClose it.Repeat and fly for a while, a short hop should doShut FSX down, and load it again, does it take it significantly longer to load after a flight? if it does the the SSD cache was depleted and replaced with new files do you have MyTraffic, the IVAO MTL or lots of scenery packages that increases load times? it should make it easier to notice the impact of smart response

I don't actually have it installed but I know it will help with overall system performance but I don't think it really helps within FSX. Could you help me. I am wondering weather to get a new 24" moniter (i have a 17" Analog LCD) or a 64GB SSD for the SRT.

I don't actually have it installed but I know it will help with overall system performance but I don't think it really helps within FSX. Could you help me. I am wondering weather to get a new 24" moniter (i have a 17" Analog LCD) or a 64GB SSD for the SRT.
If I were you it would be hands down the 24'' monitor, but that's just me... I'd give that GTX570 something nice to work with