Sign in to follow this  
bloxboy

Win 7 PRO or HOME ?

Hi Guys, Is there any advantage to running Win 7 PRO 64bit, over Win 7 HOME 64bit, with FSX and other stuff. Thanks for looking. JCC.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition has a 16GB memory usage cap, so if your computer has 16GB of RAM or more you will definitely want to use Professional which has a 192GB cap.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition has a 16GB memory usage cap, so if your computer has 16GB of RAM or more you will definitely want to use Professional which has a 192GB cap.
HelloAdvantages of running 192gb for a 32bit application = zeroHome Premium is fine

HelloAdvantages of running 192gb for a 32bit application = zeroHome Premium is fine
WRONG, the more ram you can push to FSX or FS9 the better. As far as a 32Bit app is concerned that's why there's a 'Large Address Aware' option that allows a 32Bit application to take advantage of a 64Bit OS's memory capabilities. You put that together with FSX's ability to utilize multiple cores and that's that much more performance one can squeeze out of the sim...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

WRONG, the more ram you can push to FSX or FS9 the better. As far as a 32Bit app is concerned that's why there's a 'Large Address Aware' option that allows a 32Bit application to take advantage of a 64Bit OS's memory capabilities. You put that together with FSX's ability to utilize multiple cores and that's that much more performance one can squeeze out of the sim...
Not wrong LesA 32bit app marked as large address aware (FSX sp2) can address 4gb memory maximum.This has nothing at all to do with virtual address space.For the user running FSX 192gb will be of no use and will in fact be slower as far as overclocking is concerned Some further reading http://www.viva64.com/en/k/0036/

With Flight around the corner I would go at least with W7 Pro... Seeing every machine sold today is shipping with 64Bit and no less than 4gigs onboard RAM you want the biggest bang for your buck. Anyone putting something together at this point needs Pro or Ultimate to take advantage of whatever is around the corner especially with the new version of Flight Simulator coming out...

FS2020 

HelloWith Windows 8 around the corner I would wait and see, 7 is nearly EOL, Flight! might well run better on the newer OS

HelloWith Windows 8 around the corner I would wait and see, 7 is nearly EOL, Flight! might well run better on the newer OS
And as always I would go with the Pro version of that OS not the 'Home' option. Seeing as the original poster is asking about 7 the best option for him or anyone moving forward that would give them the biggest bang for their buck is again, Pro or Ultimate (even though Ultimate for some reason has a shorter support cycle than Pro which surely will change like XP's support plan did). Windows 8 is not out and even if it was I'd personally wait at least until the first service pack is out before diving in. Flight should be out by then. It's a given Flight will be compatible with 7 and since XP is out the picture (for anyone's future upgrade plans) and 8 hasn't been released yet the most meat you can throw today at FSX/FS9 and Flight down the road is the better option. I'll take it to the bank Flight will be a 64Bit native application with all the memory/hardware options that entails. Now which would anyone rather have for Flight, Pro or Home?

FS2020 

While FS itself may well not see much (if any) improvement, giving room for your other applications to run without having to crowd FS's space most definitely will result in better performance! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator