Sign in to follow this  
compressor_stall

Windows Defender and FSX

So I recently discovered that by simply disabling Windows Defender antivirus from scanning my fsx location, I was able to get a 75-100% increase in FPS, and now I'm sitting at a nice 25 PFS in the VC and 60 outside with settings up nearly all the way except water and a/c shadowing. So everyone, make sure you disable not only your aftermarket antivirus, but most crucially, Defender as well. Hope this helps some people with framerate troubles. Regards, Dylan.

I think that was the first thing I deactivated then uninstalled after I installed W7...

Absolutely! One should always disable active scanning of FSX and her sub folders!
And if you have Kaspesky, It's a real pain because unless i missed something, you canot exclude complete directories/folders in Kaspersky. You have to go through the FSX root folder and and exclude every single app, one by one and then go looking for any that sit outside of FSX.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Trying to help people, I will repeat a suggestion of a brazilian sim pilot, posted on a brazilian forum: uninstalling java should improve the FPS and the smoothing of your FSX... I tried here, and it really improved the smoothness of my 737ngx virtual cockpit... and improved a lot! trully, I was not having low frame rates, I was having 20-30 fps on VC, but my VC was not paning and running smoothly.. after this, all became perfect It did not gave me much more frames, but it gave me only the perfect smoothness! from now to the future, probably I will install java when visiting a website that requires it, and I will uninstall before fly again! this will be my routine Regards, Marcelo Monteiro

And if you have Kaspesky, It's a real pain because unless i missed something, you canot exclude complete directories/folders in Kaspersky. You have to go through the FSX root folder and and exclude every single app, one by one and then go looking for any that sit outside of FSX.
I advise against Kaspersky. Yuck! What an intrusive, obnoxious piece of programing! (With a huge footprint) I know I say this all the time, but Microsoft Security Essentials is the best thing since Windows 7. What a great, free, light weight, safe program!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Where do I go to disable windows defender from look at FS files?
Settings > Excluded Processes > fsx.exe Settings > Excluded Files and Locations > Main FSX Folder (I manually scan from time to time, but rarely as I use strictly payware scenery and aircraft (Only the NGX is installed with addon scenery for me)

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I advise against Kaspersky. Yuck! What an intrusive, obnoxious piece of programing! (With a huge footprint) I know I say this all the time, but Microsoft Security Essentials is the best thing since Windows 7. What a great, free, light weight, safe program!
The big name AV programs seem to think FPS is a virus. Norton 06 or so on my old PC took nearly FIVE minutes just to initialize every time I started up the computer and you couldn't hardly move the bloody mouse cursor until it was done. Trend Micro is resource friendly but that's because it doesn't do anything. And ditto on MSE. The free Ad-Aware security suite isn't bad either... scores well on some of the tests I've read and you forget it's even there. That's what I used before MSE when my Norton subscription ran out.

Settings > Excluded Processes > fsx.exe Settings > Excluded Files and Locations > Main FSX Folder (I manually scan from time to time, but rarely as I use strictly payware scenery and aircraft (Only the NGX is installed with addon scenery for me)
Oops, i turned off the fsx folder' scanning only, but not sure if processes can be excluded in AVG9. Have to check it tomorrow...

This is the truth. Get rid of Norton, McCaffy and everything else, whether you paid for it or not. Just use the free Microsoft Security Essentials and disable active scanning of FSX folders. You'll be protected and good to go.

Turning off java increases FPS? O_O Can anyone vouch for this?
He suggested uninstalling Java... I can't imagine simply having Java installed is going to suck FPS down... that's the first I've ever heard of that.
Oops, i turned off the fsx folder' scanning only, but not sure if processes can be excluded in AVG9. Have to check it tomorrow...
I had to use AVG to get on a particular wifi network which required either one of the "big four" or AVG... and I hated all of about the thirty minutes I had to have that on my computer.