Sign in to follow this  
Hawk777th

Boeings Cockpit Color?

Some shades of gray are associated with old age, death, taxes, depression or a lost sense of direction.
Now that doesn't sound like a good color for a flight deck at all...

Now that doesn't sound like a good color for a flight deck at all...
Psychology of Color: GrayGray is most associated with the practical, timeless, middle-of-the-road, solid things in life. Too much gray leads to feeling mostly nothing; but a bit of gray will add that rock solid feeling to your product

The field of psychology has theories all over the place, and for the longest time, people refused to believe it was an actual science because it was so hard to predict, test, and otherwise work in. That being said, there are several theories as to how to make the pilot feel at home in the cockpit, and how much of that "home" feeling is good. Is it better to make the pilot relax, so that the approach to minimums, at a stormy alternate is slightly less stressful, but risk making the pilot too relaxed at other times?Or is it better to make the pilot feel on edge for similar reasons?Is it better to make the cockpit neutral? If pilot psychology interests you, I'd take a look at The Naked Pilot by David Beatty. There's a lot of discussion about the cockpit dynamic. There's actually a very big discussion in the book about the previous gen of 737s and their gauge layout and it's contribution to an accident.

Kyle Rodgers

Atleast it's not that weird shade of blue that alot of Russian airliners do their cockpits in!

Psychology of Color: GrayGray is most associated with the practical, timeless, middle-of-the-road, solid things in life. Too much gray leads to feeling mostly nothing; but a bit of gray will add that rock solid feeling to your product
Gray is also associated with old, worn out, senile... LOL.gif

Atleast it's not that weird shade of blue that alot of Russian airliners do their cockpits in!
haha, no kidding... I can deal with it when it's all old analog gauges, but it's really weird seeing a clean brand-new modern glass cockpit in that color. It looks like it's made out of plastic playground equipment.

Not sure about the brown one, but gray cockpit makes everything else better visible. Grey colour is a good base for any other. ;) Just my guess. Blue or green cockpit (Russian and former USSR planes) look rather ugly and make you feel "I wanna evacuate ASAP".

Just wondered if any one knew how they came up with the Brown/Tan color they use.
I think they came up the same way car manufacturers came up with "beige/cream interior". I happen to have such a cream/tan interior in my BMW and I like it a lot. Ok, you would probably opt for a grey or black interior but one thing I knew when I was shopping for this car - I wanted a coffee-with-cream like interior. Italians are absolute masters car designers and look at all the Ferraris with beige interiors - I never heard anyone cal them ugly. I would not call your color selection 'ugly', it is your choice, your taste.

777 FD soooooo preeeetty............... vic

It could be something like those colours make it easier to view the displays in different light conditions or provide less glare when looking out the windows. It may well be that the reason for the colour choice isn't aesthetic so much as safety related so that it is easier to work on the flight deck? Who knows...

Why are the panel flood lights in the 737NGX clear and not a orange-ish color. (I dont mean the dome flood light) Too much like the airbus =/

Something tells me that it's the same reason the 767 gear is tilted the way it is. No overly complex conspiracy theories, but that's just how it worked out. I assume the Boeing folks flipped a coin, and brown won. Notice the 787 is back to grey? Paul

here is an interesting documentary on the making of the 777. boeing actually discuss the reasoning behind the flight deck colour scheme at 3:40. well worth a watch

vic

I like airbus cockpits at night, the lights are so pretty cause the panel is black to all the colorful lights are pretty