Sign in to follow this  
Jack_C

Do you Really Need Speedbrakes VIDEO?

Passengers wouldn't know the difference. Sure the difference between 257 kts and 310 might seem like a lot BUT the ANGLE might only be a coupke degrees.
I thought the same thing your VSI almost hit 5000 fpm thats normal?

I thought the same thing your VSI almost hit 5000 fpm thats normal?
Have seen it in the real plane yep. It usually isn't a SUSTAINED 5000 fpm tho.

@ jack_C. I use radar contact and it almost always instructs me to descend before my TOD, resulting in my vnav path being way off so i usually use FLCH or V/S. Is this incorrect procedure? If ATC insructs you to descend early do you select descent now on the CDU and then vnav path using the method in your video?

Amazing video, I'm going to use everything I watched on my next NGX flight. One thing I noticed. After takeoff, you engaged the AP way above the FD indication, something like 5 degrees. Is that something you would've done in RL as well? I thought the Realistic AP Engagement would prevent you from connecting the AP under that condition. One other thing, Throttles idle at 20', flare at 10', did I get it right? Thanks!

Alexis Mefano

@ jack_C. I use radar contact and it almost always instructs me to descend before my TOD, resulting in my vnav path being way off so i usually use FLCH or V/S. Is this incorrect procedure? If ATC insructs you to descend early do you select descent now on the CDU and then vnav path using the method in your video?
In this case I usually just put the lower altitude in the MCP window then engage ALT INTV. IF ATC wants you to descend WAY WAY before the T/D then use 500 FPM on V/S since ALT INTV commands 1000 FPM.
Amazing video, I'm going to use everything I watched on my next NGX flight. One thing I noticed. After takeoff, you engaged the AP way above the FD indication, something like 5 degrees. Is that something you would've done in RL as well? I thought the Realistic AP Engagement would prevent you from connecting the AP under that condition. One other thing, Throttles idle at 20', flare at 10', did I get it right? Thanks!
Yeah thats ABOUT right.

Guest Turboblower

Thanks Jack for making the time to provide us with this video. Always appreciated.

Very informative video and many many thanks. Most of us have an idea of procedures with tutorials and documents, past virtual experience to go by. But its nice when a pilot with a good clear voice and presentation technique shows us their virtual flight, procedures and VNav corrections. Thanks once again,

Guest Tamadeez
Hey Tamati. Go to your options menu on the CDU. I think its in systems or something. You will see somewhere where its WINGS LEVEL/ HDG SEL. Use HDG SEL and your heading select will not disappear
Oh yes that would be it. Thanks for taking the time to answer :)

Thanks Jack! But can I ask... why dont we want to use speed brakes? Is there any reason for that? Danko

Ryzen 9 7950X3D, 32Gb DDR5@6000Mhz, PCIe 4 NVMe SSD, RTX4090 GPU, HP Reverb G2 V2 VR

speed brakes are devices which cause vibrations through the airframe. the higher the speed, the higher the vibration.speed brakes also change the aerodynamic properties of the wing, leading to a higher stall speed in general.I myself fly an airbus, and there is a continuously calculated Vls (lowest selectable speed) which takes into account a number of things but basically provides solid protections in turns and up to 2.5g or 2g with flaps. When you pull out the speed brake, you notice that Vls (yellow bar) shooting up like a rocket. Also, there is a personal prestige in getting an approach 'continuous descent' without using the speed brake... but then again that might just be ego talking! ;) so is there any 'real' reason not to use the speed brake? no... just take into consideration the effects it will have on your stall speed... CheerzLenny

Thanks Lenny! Great informtion. I thought its something like that. Like the "personal prestige" part :) Regards, Danko

Ryzen 9 7950X3D, 32Gb DDR5@6000Mhz, PCIe 4 NVMe SSD, RTX4090 GPU, HP Reverb G2 V2 VR

Hello This is fantastic thanks, what do you mean when you say close the speed windows and go back to VNAV speed, are you meaning speed intervention then back to the computed VNAV descent schedule, cheers Wayne

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K