Sign in to follow this  
wanabflyer

Touch down? Not quite

Since purchasing my 737NGX last weekend, i spent 5 days setting up, testing, tweaking and retweaking and only managed one flight which ended up with a FSX lockup (freeze). The only thing working was the sound and the ac was still moving. Anyhow, since then i did a lot of reading and surfing and experimenting until i got FSX/737NGX looking and performing as i wanted. However that's not part of the subject of this question (i don't think).Having set things up pretty much, i have been flying the tutorial for quite a few times to get the hang of things and get to know the ac. Everything has gone flawlessly every single flight with no freezes, lockups, whatever, except for one little point. This was mentioned in another post but not specifically, so no answer. What happens is right at flare (using Autoland as in the tutorial), the aircraft remains at about 5ft above the runway and doesn't touch down. Not a big problem, just kick off Autopilot and touch down manually. My question is, why? I have set up my i aircraft exactly to the tutorial.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

It freezes over runway?
Did you read the post?? It's a flare issue Is it a particular airport that this happens at, or is it just anywhere? Seems a bit strange alright

Yeah that's what I suggested in the post you are referring to but there was no answer which either means that freezIng was the problem or some other problem, if people would end topics with a solution ( If there is one ) then others can use this forum more efficiently.Dan.

Did you read the post?? It's a flare issue Is it a particular airport that this happens at, or is it just anywhere? Seems a bit strange alright
Don't get your tights in a bunch, what I gathered was while using auto land, the plane refuses to touchdown.
the aircraft remains at about 5ft above the runway and doesn't touch down.
So, if you gathered that it's a flare issue from reading that, kudos to you. My answer, is try it at another airport, maybe something to do with the particular airport in the tut.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

OK. As i said, i was flying the tutorial (To the letter as far as i know), so i was landing at EHAM, RW-18R.No its not a freeze, just something is not completing in the Autoland.

Rick Hobbs

OK. As i said, i was flying the tutorial (To the letter as far as i know), so i was landing at EHAM, RW-18R.No its not a freeze, just something is not completing in the Autoland.
What is the Vref regarding the FMC? And what did you set on you MCP?

What is the Vref regarding the FMC? And what did you set on you MCP?
My Vref was 141. In the tutorial they advise to set MCP at Vref+5, so i set to 146. Just a note though, i did try one time setting to exact Vref - Same result.

Rick Hobbs

Is your baro altimeter set correctly? What happens with the radio altimeter? Does it just stay at 5ft? What altitude is set in the MCP? Dan.

737-800 is tricky, real world pilots often "hang" over the runway. Maybe the aircraft weight data was incorrect, so the vref was off,too

Yeah when landing manually I often float a bit, I've had to Go-Around a couple of times trying to land on a short runway and messing up the flare. Dan.

737-800 is tricky, real world pilots often "hang" over the runway. Maybe the aircraft weight data was incorrect, so the vref was off,too
I find on FSX, ILS = Greased landing Manual = Well if your good, it kinda turns out better.The hang is really prominent in the NG it's a flyer, she takes everything for you to set her down ;)

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Just a possible reason, you say you followed the tutorial for setting aircraft up, when you set loads and weights etc, are you using kgs or ibs and setting the other so aircraft ends up lighter etc...the. Having a vref higher will result in a float...when you on final take a look at the app page and see what vref is suggesting based on the flap setting you are landing at. Also are you using weather at all? For the tutorial you need to have all weather off, if you landing on that runway with weather being input then you may find you landing with tail wind and hence the float again.Try turning weather on, and inputting a mild head wind, check your weights are in right units, and see what occurs then...

Just a possible reason, you say you followed the tutorial for setting aircraft up, when you set loads and weights etc, are you using kgs or ibs and setting the other so aircraft ends up lighter etc...the. Having a vref higher will result in a float...when you on final take a look at the app page and see what vref is suggesting based on the flap setting you are landing at. Also are you using weather at all? For the tutorial you need to have all weather off, if you landing on that runway with weather being input then you may find you landing with tail wind and hence the float again. Try turning weather on, and inputting a mild head wind, check your weights are in right units, and see what occurs then...
Hi James. Everthing lbs, winds calm, mcp speed setting at Vref+5 (have also tried Vref+0) all as per the tutorial. I am wondering if the mins setting of 100 has anything to do with it. I might just try tweaking that down a bit, even if thats not realisticaly correct.

Rick Hobbs

Is your throttle reducing to approach idle? Does your throttle over ride the AT?Does the plane EVER touch down if the AP is left on? Dan.