Sign in to follow this  
Hans J

London default objects off position

Hi Guys, In my EURW/scenery folder there's a default file named "London.bgl" and this file positions (or should position) a number of default scenery buildings, e.g. the famous Tower Bridge, within the London City area. However, in my case all these scenery objects (correctly textured) are positioned about a mile to the East. E.g, Tower Bridge appears on dry land near the end of runway 28 at my London City airport EGLC. All the other objects are present as well but relative to Tower Bridge, way off from where they should be. I've disabled every addon UK scenery area in my scenery library but still Tower Bridge appears at the same position on the now default London City airport. I've also replaced the "London.bgl" file by the one on the original FS9 CD, but to no avail.Other than this specific problem there are no further issues with or without all my UK addon airports activated. For the time being I've disabled the "London.bgl" file but does anyone have any hints or a solution for my strange problem ? Thanks in advance for any trouble taken. Hans

Thanks for your reaction Joe but no, I do not have Ultimate Terrain Europe in my system, nor have I ever had it. Moreover, if I would have had it installed it would certainly have been included in my frantic scenery area de/re-activation test procedures.I followed your link and read the whole story, the contents of which sounded very logical but my misplaced object problem only appears in the London area and nowhere else within Europe. I also believe, based on my many years of FS9 experience, that misplacements of default landmark objects of more than a mile and only in one single scenery area, has an exceptionally high probability of being caused by some type of error in an unexpected (far away) BGL file, somehow introduced into my FS9 at a later date and definitely not lately. But how such an error can cause this specific type of problem certainly beats me. Any other suggestions, anyone ? Hans

Since my previous post I havn't exactly been sitting still because this kind of unnecessary problem can bug me to no end. I've been systematicly deleting and restoring large portions of my EURW/scenery BGLs to and from my recycle bin and inbetween checking to see if the London Tower Bridge was still in it's faulty position. And, hey presto, somewhere along this process it had suddenly disappeared !! Then, by refining the process I ended up with the file "OB9EURW0.bgl" which had evidently somehow gotten itself corrupted at some time in the past.I renamed it's extension to ".XXXX" and copied/pasted the original one from the FS9 CD # 3 into the same folder......end of problem and many other London landmarks suddenly also appeared which were not there previously. So, from me it's "over and out" and thanks again Joe because you at least pointed my nose in the right direction. RegardsHans

I think you will find "london.bgl" only contains a library of the 3d models. The actual placement in FS9 is controlled by "OB9EURW0.BGL" scott s..

Scott s, You're quite right but would you have any idea as to how "OB9EURW0.bgl" can suddenly begin with actually misplacing objects, instead of causing CTDs or hangs ? According to me this can only be done when internal placement co-ordinates are altered via some kind of external process ........ without the normal de- and re-compilation processes !!! Great mystery for me. Hans

I would guess one of your addons replaced the file. regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif