Sign in to follow this  
Shaney

Finalised build proposal for new PC

Hello everyone,Some of you will probably have read my previous topic asking for advice for a new build i am planning on getting. I just thought i would quickly post the finalised proposal i have:Windows 7 - 64 bitIntel i5 2500k 3.3ghz CPUMSI GeForce GTX 560ti Twin FrozR 1024MB Graphics CardCorsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 Dual Channel RAMGigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 Intel Z68 MotherboardWestern Digital Caviar Green 1TB 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive 6gb/s OEM Hard DriveCoolermaster GX 650W 80PLUS power supplyI havent included any extra cooling as initially i am not planning on overclocking excessively due to budget limitations. Once i can afford it i plan to buy a new CPU cooler.Can anyone see any problems with the system setup i propose?Obviously i understand i can always buy a better CPU and a better graphics card but i have to be realistic in what i can afford. I hear that a i5 2500K provides extremely good performance within FSX anyway? I suspect it will be a major improvement on the 2.93ghz Dual Core CPU i am currently using. Thanks,Shane

Looks good. I have nothing to add. And you´re right, the i5 is awesome fast and perfect for FSX.

Is the 8gb memory a 4x2 or 2x4 kit? Try for a 2x4 if you can.

If you want a great cooler for the money easy install go with Corsair H70 watercooler to have a nice overclock, you will need to overclock for fsx fun, had many problems with western digital would not be my choice, they die for no reason, if you dont think so ask the 7 people at my work it happened to including me, seagate would be better imo, get at least 1066 ram, a bit more horsepower on that power supply would be good, good luck with it. Talk%20to%20the%20Hand.gif

Rich Sennett

Looks fine.If I had to nit pick I'd say1) What cooler are you getting? (Actually a big deal if you OC)2) What's the CAS settings on the RAM? (Actually NOT a big deal if you dont plan to go hard on OCing)3) Maybe a more powerful PSU? (That's just me cause I'd rather have too much than not enough. 650 should be OK.) All in all, I think you did a nice job.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

If you want a great cooler for the money easy install go with Corsair H70 watercooler to have a nice overclock, you will need to overclock for fsx fun, had many problems with western digital would not be my choice, they die for no reason, if you dont think so ask the 7 people at my work it happened to including me, seagate would be better imo, get at least 1066 ram, a bit more horsepower on that power supply would be good, good luck with it. Talk%20to%20the%20Hand.gif
What about the new H80, keeps my i7 2600K around 29C at idle at 4.5GHz

Ryan wasn't sure he could afford it newer is always better, now that I look at the price wow go for that one 90 dollars pretty cheap. im Not Worthy.gif

Rich Sennett

Shaney, It looks good, I personally would leave yourself some room for future up grades. I would change your mother board to a EVGA P67 SLI 130-SB-E675-KR.Up your CPU to the 2600K (and over clock it as far as you can) and cool it with a Corsair H100. (provided you have room in your case for dual rad)Check out this video card - EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1567-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB for about the same price.The mem is great be sure you get the Vengeance with a cas latency of 8 and I to would move up to a 750 watt PSU min!With that set up you will be good to go for a few years and be able to upgrade when needed.

Morning all, Thanks a lot to everyones responces! I really do appreciate it. As ive said before im not a computer genius so bare with me haha..... Kenneth - My memory is 2x4 :) Rich - Due to budget limitations im not thinking about a cooler just at this minute. Although when i do go for one i would probably get something around the H80 by the sounds of things. For the time being id just be happy with higher than 19FPS at EGKK with UK2000 Scenery in LD767 lol. The memory is 1600Mhz RAM if thats what you meant? Cory - What is CAS on the RAM? Sorry i did say im not brilliant with all this! Also im looking to get a cooler in future but would probably go for the H80 thereabouts. Chris - I cant afford to upgrade my CPU any higher. The one you talk about would be an extra £80 roughly. Also whats the major difference in the motherboard you mentioned to mine? I know a few of you mentioned upgrading the powersupply further. Based on what i can afford would ThermalTake TR2 Series 700W 80 PLUS® Bronze Power Supply be any good? Its 50W better but is at roughly the same price. Cheers,Shane

Pretty good. Make sure your motherboard has all the VRMs for overclocking. That seems to be a fairly basic one so maybe save on the RAM and go for a -UD3H.

Andrew, Sorry i dont know what VRM's are. How can i find out if my motherboard has what i will need? Cheers,

VRMs are what are powering the CPU, so for overclocking your CPU will be using more power. I am unsure of what your mobo would have but mine has 12 and the one below has 10 and the UD3H has 8 i think. correct me if I am wrong.

Shaney, The mother board you selected is Z68 (which this board does not allow you to use on CPU graphics, it should but you would not use this feature anyway ). As far as I know it does not support SLI (for future upgrades)The EVGA has better cooling and power phases for over clocking and runs @ 16 X16 lanes for your GPU, and I know personally there customer support rocks!So for what ever you go with a good mother board will give you a good foundation, working with computers the fastest MB will be EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte( the higher end) and MSI. The 2500k will be "good" with a good mother board. V/RChris

EVGA boards are expensive though, look good but expensive. 16x 16x won't help with SLI for anything noticeable.