Is there any way to get FSX to depict an overcast layer in FSX with ASE? I always see blue sky above while the weather gauge is indicating an overcast layer. The clouds at the overcast altitude are scattered or broken until you reach that altitude. Will a graphics package make any difference?

Art

Hi, Don't always go by the X Gauge as those are fixed symbols. Go by the METAR data in ASE. Make sure FSX is using 3D clouds and cloud coverage is maximum. Set the cloud layer option in ASE to 20. Set the stratus slider to zero. Cumulus clouds make a better overcast.

Thanks. When I mentioned the Xgauge, I was referring to the METAR that it was displaying, which was the same as the report in ASE. My FSX settings for clouds includes detailed clouds checked (couldn't find 3D) and cloud coverage density at maximum. I raised the cloud layer option from 5 to 20, and reduced stratus from 20 percent to 0. I took off with 2000 ft broken, 9000 ft overcast and 19000 ft broken in the METAR. It was pretty much overcast below 2000 ft, but above that altitude clouds above became scattered with lots of blue sky. I was still flying within the same METAR area.

Art

Hi, But how far away from the station were you flying? There is an influence range and you might have gotten a blending from neighboring stations.

Thanks, but nevermind. It's apparently too complex to ever do what I expect.

Art