Sign in to follow this  
Snuffleupagus

METAR not properly displayed in FS9

Hey guys, I have been a long time user of AS6.5, but somethings have bothered me. For example, the METAR reads: KSLC 150533Z 32026G32KT 5SM +TSRA SCT080CB BKN100 OVC130 22/14 A2997 In FS with AS6.5, there aren't that many clouds around, but yet the thunder is shaking my walls! Yes, there are some tall thunderstorm clouds, but nothing at all like the METAR reports. Is this normal with AS6.5? I've never really took the time to pay that much attention to whether AS was accurate or not. Does ASE do a better job in placing the weather into the sim as close to real weather? Thanks!

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Hi, You should get the clouds reported in AS. How far were you away from the station? Also, reset FSUIPC to Default settings and Weather settings Off. Make sure FS is using 3D clouds at 100% and cloud coverage is set to maximum.

Hey, I was 17 nm south of the station. Thing is, in the sim its clear skies all the way until the station. I live 30 nm south of the station and we were getting hammered, but clear skies in FS. The storm was 140 nm long with SLC in the middle of it. Resetting FSUIPC to default settings, will that reset my Axis Assignments? I've got 3D clouds set to 80% and cloud coverage is set to maximum. Thanks for the support!

RW Freight Pilot

Hi, 3D clouds should be at 100%. Not sure, copy your FSUIPC.ini as a backup. Was this with FS9 or FSX?

Hey, I will try the cloud setting, but from what I can remember, I had it scaled back a little to help with performance. Good idea, didn't think of creating a back up of FSUIPC! This is with FS9. Thanks!

RW Freight Pilot

Please post a few more specific examples and even a screen shot of your AS options screen so that I can take a look.

I'll have to keep an eye open for more examples. I don't notice it much unless its here around my area. As for the settings, here they are: -2011-aug-16-011.jpg

RW Freight Pilot

Hi, 1. Unless you are flying on VATSIM have VATSIM weather off. 2. Turn off Force Destination Wx Zone. 3. If you are flying low and slow, you need to lower the Suppression ceiling. 4. Put Overcast Enhancement On. 5. Put Favor Cumulus vs Stratus On.

Hey thanks for the quick reply and tips! I do have a question about the VATSIM weather box. I do all my flights online, so is the METAR report that AS brings up from VATSIM weather? Also, would it affect flying online much if I unchecked that check box? I don't really do much low and slow flying at all. Thanks! Going to try these settings out as soon as I can and will report back!

RW Freight Pilot

Hi, If you mean Online with VATSIM then leave that box on. Also make sure that all weather options are off in your VATSIM software.