Sign in to follow this  
PaulKent

Defragging for FSX

Hi All I do defrag my C drive quite regularly, but today I realised that I can defrag specific folders. So I defragged the FSX folder (and the appdata folder). My question is merely one of curiosity. Is defragging the entire 140GB C drive equivalent to defragging just the FSX folder. i.e. there is no difference in either method, they perform the same? I have read that after install, FSX is highly fragmented, and although I have defragged my C drive several times since installing FSX, I have never specifically defragged my FSX folder. I wonder if I will see a modicum of improvement?? I use defraggler to defrag. What are your thoughts? Thanks, Paul

You're saying you defragged the folder... did you notice any improvements?

hi yitzhak, I am defragging the whole drive, then will defrag FSX specifically. So not tested yet. I am awaiting PMDG's post on OOM errors and how to negate them, as I use a 32bit OS (XP) with 2GB RAM I have a low spec in comparison to that required for the NGX, and textures load pretty slowly. I am thinking that textures should load faster with a properly defragged FSX folder. This should be pretty easy to see. I will report back what I see.... cheers

So, it took 2 minutes and 25 seconds to defrag the entire FSX Folder (83.32GB), and it had minimal fragmentation (probably because I'm so proactive about defragmenting, anyways). I used Defrag and Deep Optimize option with Smart Defrag V2. No noticeable effect...

thanks for the feedback. I wasnt sure but thought Id do it anyway. Maybe it will help me a bit as I havent previously defragged the FSX folder specifically...

thanks for the feedback. I wasnt sure but thought Id do it anyway. Maybe it will help me a bit as I havent previously defragged the FSX folder specifically...
Go for it!

O&O Defrag user here. I assume you've installed FSX to the same drive as your Windows installation? Not exactly the best for performance. If this is the case, I would run bi-weekly (every two weeks) to monthly defrags, depending on how much you download/install/uninstall. These should be be ran on the entire drive.\ With O&O I use the Name/Complete method for my FSX drive, and the Optimize/Complete method on my other storage drive. O&O is wonderful.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

hi zach. I installed it on the same drive as windows, and in the program files section. This was done before I knew not to install FSX in the program files section. I think I only have the one drive on my laptop that I use for FSX. Using smart defrag now. Its working on the entire C drive, and then I will do the same for the fsx folder. Smart defrag has an optimisation routine, which I like the sound of. Maybe it will help a bit maybe it wont....

If you want to do this right then follow this guide. Nick really knows what he is talking about, although his attitude could use some improvement ! http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic34141_post198187.html#198187 Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I would think if you defragged the entire disk first then you would not need to defrag the FS folder after that. Some defraggers automatically or upon your selection will place your most used folders near the most efficient end of the hard disk. (You don't want your C:\Windows folder at less than top efficiency priority since it is frequently accessed when any application is running. I believe for a hard disk the most efficient area is near the outside. FS should be next.) If you have any other utilities like ASE that folder should be right after the FS folder since it is frequently accessed while FS is running. This is all based on hard disk head movement (seeking).