Sign in to follow this  
JCMDFCCP

Does Anybody Remember the old "Flight Assignment ATP" ?

Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread!!!!! I must not be the only "old timer" around here!!!! I will look into FS Captain and Ideal Flight. I am familiar with FS passengers but found it too buggy....Virtuali, I love the pictures you posted of our old beloved sim! Is Simon still alive and well? I remember vividly when he took over the ATP sim and designed the MD 80 panel. The scenery you designed then was absolutely fantastic. So here is the question: I throw down the gauntlet to Virtuali or some other designer to come up with an addon program that would come close to ATP in scope and options. Maybe a joint venture with the designers of FS Captain and/or Ideal Flight ? I for one would be willing to spend money to have a program that emphasizes airmanship/skill, flight planning, and fuel management and a career path in a realistic and professional manner. I would rather spend my money on that type of program rather than have scores of "high end and high dollar" 3rd party planes that sit in the hanger because I get too bored flying them around the patern. I am sure I am not alone in this opinion. Thanks again for all of the replies!

Very interesting histories and a stroll down memory lane here. (I did not know of Virtuali's work with ATP's "descendents.") FYI, Dutch - the FS Captain developer - has said the next version aims to implement saving / loading (so you won't lose ((much)) if the simulator crashes) as well as an FCOM that's not an in-sim gauge -- hopefully still an ACARS feel-alike device though.

oooohhhh really? FCOM that is not a sim gauge?? oh man.. I need to sign up for that, that is very exciting! thanks for that heads up - that really could be the ticket.

Ciao!

Consider joining a virtual airline that offers the same, or similar career as subLOGIC's ATP. In fact, the first one came out as a desire to have more flight assignments similar to the ones in ATP.

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

I have logged many hours on Sub Logic's ATP with the scenarios giving an airman-ship rating at the end, which back then was awesome. Only thing which give an airman-ship rating if I can recall now is Radar contact. For some of the work that I do this gives kids in the program I run encouragement and continued zest and zeal to move forward.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Oh my, oh my guys i'm really surprised how many still know about A.T.P. I had also a really great time with this sim and was also a member with Sunair TPA Hub and met a really great guy "Jim Swanson" on CompuServe! We are all 20 Years older now rolleyes.gif Bruno

Bruno 

+1, I still have the maps. Those were the days.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

+1, I still have the maps. Those were the days.
Me too! I have all those that covered the entire USA, for its time it was an amazing SIM, it had every paved airport in the USA.
Oh my, oh my guys i'm really surprised how many still know about A.T.P. I had also a really great time with this sim and was also a member with Sunair TPA Hub and met a really great guy "Jim Swanson" on CompuServe! We are all 20 Years older now rolleyes.gif Bruno
Man I remember all that too! It was with great reluctance I traded in my old, tired copy of Flight Assignment ATP for an extremely buggy version of FS95... I sometimes get a giggle out of the young pups who think it all started with FS2000 or FS2002... man those were indeed the days!

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Yes, I also can recall ATP. I had started simming in 1994 with FS 5.0, and had my first forum experience on CompuServe. Then I found out about ATP, there was another groom on CS for ATP and the members of each almost hated each other, I can recall that you never mentioned ATP on the FS forum and vice- versa.Like others here I can recall how ahead of it's time ATP was, it was almost like a real simulator. I had the US West and East scenery enhancements from FS4 which added actual roads, etc., I can recall someone made a new KDEN when the new support opened and Stapleton shut down. There were about 10? airports that were used in the assignments, and a cool ATC for it's time.Played it all on my DX266 computer, and maybe 2k of ram..... Wish I'd kept that PC, ran Windows 3.1.Great thread, Bruce.

How nostalgic... I just checked in my library and find I still have the A.T.P. Manual & charts, which as I recall now I used extensively even after I began using FS5 because the training information was much more complete and far better organized. I doubt that I still have the disks though, since I long ago cleaned out my boxes and boxes of 51/4" floppies since I no longer had a drive with which to read 'em! For that matter, I only have one machine on my network that has a 31/2" drive! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The very best flight simulator package I've ever come across..

Bert

I remember it well; many happy hours. But those approaches - ATC vectoring me onto the localiser 30 miles out, at 1200 feet above ground level. Praying.gif

Petraeus

The very best flight simulator package I've ever come across..
Hear hear. To this day, most of my flight simming is spent trying to recreate the constraints and challenges that ATP imposed. I guess it's the gamer in me, but never really saw much point in simply flying around looking at stuff (If you do, that's fine, just my opinion...). I prefer to create a 'world' in which the flying becomes a means to an end, not the end itself. Somebody upthread mentioned using role-playing type randomisation and that's pretty-much what I do using FSPax. Create a real-world airline, giving myself limited funds to only purchase one ac type and being strict about following my own flight allocation procedure (dice rolls to decide flight number using real-world schedules, increasing the allowed random choices as you go up the rank structure simulating route-bidding). Only flying from where I last landed is another limitation. I only get to fly a new type once I've earned the cash to buy it, and then must stick with that type until a new type is purchased or a new rank achieved. Allowed variation is created by having multiple airlines, but if I want to move from one to another, again it's only as a reward after a new aircraft type is purchased in the current one. Sad...? Yeah, probably, but having proper objectives gives a real incentive to fly the next leg...just like ATP used to. Andy

Interesting trivia: Back in the day, Sublogic of course sold the Flight Simulator franchise to Microsoft, thus "Flight Simulator" became "Microsoft Flight Simulator". When Sublogic developed and marketed what was eventually to become "Flight Assignment:ATP", Microsoft filed a very nasty legal injunction against Sublogic for trademark infringment. Sublogic had originally intended to market "Flight Assignment ATP" as "Flight Simulator ATP". Bill Gates & Company cried foul and when Sublogic dared to use the term "Flight Simulator", and Microsoft Goliath tied up little SubLogic David in a legal battle that lasted quite some time, seriously delaying release of "ATP" and draining one heck of a lot of financial resources from Sublogic. Needless to say, Big M won out in the end and "Flight Simulator: ATP" became "Flight Assignment: ATP". Sublogic never fully recovered from the fiscal resource depletion surrounding the court battle, and thus while ATP made it to market, the company soon after whithered away.
I was there also.Used it, loved it.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Hi all,FA : ATP this is the one who make me love with the airlines especially flight simulator. i knew this when i was 13 y.o. Today i found the software again. But i lost my manual book (about 200 pages). Please all, can you help me where i can download the manual or handbook for FA : ATP? please help me all.