Sign in to follow this  
kev4242

Fs9 re-install/disc problem

Hi all,I've just cleaned out the pc and re-formatted and re-installed windows. I've come to re-install fs9 and at the end of the disc one installation I get an error message saying there is a problem reading the disc or there isn't enough space. There are over 900gb of space left so I don't think that is the problem. The file the installation gets stuck on is overview.wmv. I've tried copying this file and it doesn't copy so I'm assuming the disc has become corrupted which froma quick google search seems common. The disc is clean so and it always gets stuck on the same file. I did back up an original install from a few years back but I don't think it will work by simply copying this as there will be no registry entry for FS since the installation has failed.Any help would be hugely appreciated to save having to buy a new copy of fs9.Thanks,Kev

If you do need to buy a new copy, they are about $20US at Amazon. Try copying in your backup, then get the registry tool here- http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library Running it will re-set your registry for FS9. Note that any addons you have that write to the registry will be missing their keys and most likely need to be re-installed. regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks Joe. I tried that and although the registry programme seemed to run and work, I could not install the 9.1 patch which came up with an 'error 34' code which indicates a registry error. However, I found a free programme called FS2004_IS_HERE from visual flight which seemed to have solved the problem as FS9 is running well again. Just going through and installing various add ons but they seem to be all going on well. Thanks for reply and I thought I'd write up my solution in case anyone else is having the same problem now or in the future. The disc error seems to be quite a common problem now. I wonder whether it is just the age of the cds or something to do with the manufacturing process. Thanks again, Kev

i had the same problem during a reinstall and on a whim i copied the contents from all 4 discs into a temp folder and ran setup from there. installed without a hitch. :D

Hi Dave.I read about this solution but when I tried to copy the disc contents to a temp folder it would not work due to the aforementioned corrupt file. I just think disc one is past it! Anyway, my workaround seems to have done the job. ThanksKev