Sign in to follow this  
PaoloA

Sandy Bridge but not smooth flight: only @ 60 fps

I have a SB 2600k @ 4.5, 570 GTX (latest Nvidia drivers), 8 GB corsair XMS3 CL7-8-7 1600MHz and 120 GB SSD system only for FSX.I tried almost everything, read all the topics about stutters, microstutters, vsync and external FPS limiters, but still can't solve my problem.I have a fresh install of FSX (SP1 & SP2). When I use the default 737 on KSEA and take off the ground and autogen is stuttering. Only when I set FSX frame limiter to 60 FPS the flight is supersmooth when FPS are at 60. If the frames are below 60, I.E. at 40 FPS (limiter or unlimited), the stutters are back.I tried this with Vsync on (via Nvidia control panel and in fsx.cfg) and off (The stutters are somewhat less but there is a lot of tearing).Also when I use the JAVA external FPS limiter the flight is only smooth when limiting fps at 60 fps and the fps are actually at 60 fps. When the fps drops below 60 fps, the stutters are back. It doesn't seem to be a performance issue because I can maintain FPS at 40 fps in every situation. The flight isn't smooth though.Is my problem correlated to the refreshrate of my monitor (samsung PX2370 @ 60 Hz)? When I change the refreshrate of my monitor to 50 Hz the flight is smooth at limiting the frames to 50 fps and actual frames at 50 fps. Again, if frames drop below 50 fps, the stutters are back.Can somebody please help me, I really want a smooth flight with my expensive system!

What is your autogen density set at within FSX? Have you gone and set all the sliders to max?

You can't see more than the refresh rate but FSX should still show what it is sending out. As for tuning have you tried the bojote tweaking and tuning tool? It'll help a lot. Also try disabling Hyper threading if you haven't already in the BIOS.

@ NGX and VirginAus737: Thanks for your reply but already tried this, no luck. Setting the autogen density lower doesn't make a difference. All the sliders to max is also not working.

Hmmm strange indeed. Could you tell us more about where you are, what you're flying etc when the stutters occur

To the OP: You're basically getting FPS surges, right? I suggest trying Antilag and limiting to 25-30FPS. Antilag does a better job of limiting frame rates, and it doesn't use that ridiculous BAT file but rather a d3d9.dll. We'll start with this remedy and work from there. http://www.kegetys.n..._antilag101.zip -Drop the files into your FSX root folder, make sure the ini file is set for 30 frame cap. (change to 25 if 30 doesn't get it) Also make sure the render frame ahead option is set to 0 (otherwise you'll get terrible stutters).

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I tried setting that limiter up and had no luck. Rolling Eyes.gif For me those stutters are just the most annoying thing ever.

I feel your pain. I upgraded to an i5 2500K (@4.5), GTX580, 8 GB 1600 Mhz CL8 RAM and Windows and FSX on a seperate SSD. I came from a i7 920 @ 3.3, GTX285 and 4 GB 1333 Mhz CL9 RAM and WIndows and FSX together on an SSD. After spending all that money, I ended up using the same setings as on the older pc and as a bonus I have... microstutters... Performance is better in PNW Seattle or when landing the 737NGX on Aerosoft EHAM, but not as much as I hoped...! It's a huge disappointment, really. I do have the graphic sliders almost maxed out, but I also had that one my old pc and I don't feel like turning things DOWN after spending all that money. And btw I had to tweak my cfg even MORE than on my old pc to get where I am now. During my testing I found out the microstutters had the same frequency as the tearing I see with vsync off and I posted a topic about that. Just as you I think there is a relation. However, I've found no solution... Sometimes I really hate computers. P.S. I used bojote's tweaker and I also use antilag: without those it would be an even bigger mess.

In bojote's shader 3.0 mod, there is a little v-sync fix tool. Have you run this?

I don't really dare to install bojote's shader mod on my brand new and very clean system... I've read about problems with it, screwing up things, throwing files all over the place: that kind of scary stuff. And isn't it specially meant for ATI and water or something like that...? I read somewhere that with an nVidie card all that shader 3.0 stuff doesn't make any difference. Anyway, what does that vsync fix do? If it only adds entries to the cfg, I've done it. happy.png

I feel your pain. I upgraded to an i5 2500K (@4.5), GTX580, 8 GB 1600 Mhz CL8 RAM and Windows and FSX on a seperate SSD. I came from a i7 920 @ 3.3, GTX285 and 4 GB 1333 Mhz CL9 RAM and WIndows and FSX together on an SSD. After spending all that money, I ended up using the same setings as on the older pc and as a bonus I have... microstutters... Performance is better in PNW Seattle or when landing the 737NGX on Aerosoft EHAM, but not as much as I hoped...! It's a huge disappointment, really. I do have the graphic sliders almost maxed out, but I also had that one my old pc and I don't feel like turning things DOWN after spending all that money. And btw I had to tweak my cfg even MORE than on my old pc to get where I am now. During my testing I found out the microstutters had the same frequency as the tearing I see with vsync off and I posted a topic about that. Just as you I think there is a relation. However, I've found no solution... Sometimes I really hate computers. P.S. I used bojote's tweaker and I also use antilag: without those it would be an even bigger mess.
At least I am not alone....:) Can it be because some people see microstutters and others don't? I read a lot of topics about this microstutter thing on the web and what I can see is that some people see it (and when they do they go nuts) and others don't see it, although it is there. It also depends on what kind of aircraft you are flying i guess: 200 knots take off in a F16 and fly low over a lot of autogen and I see the microstutters more clearly than when flying a cesna over autogen with 60 knots..... But you mentioned that you come from an older system: did you experience microstutters on that system as well? That would prove that it is not directly hardware / software related but just happens when the FPS are below the refresh rate of your monitor. I would like to ask everybody who doesn;t experience microstutter to check the refreshrate of their monitor and set the frame limiter (internal or external) to the number of the refresh rate. Do the movements in FSX are more fluently when you fly over heavy autogen (I.E. take-off from KSEA and look right down from wing-view) in a default 737).

Ah, yes, it's always nice knowing you are not the only one with problems! happy.png I am quite certain this problem is rather personal. Some people just don't see stutters and others are utterly annoyed by it. Big fat chance that if someone who 'doesn't have any stutters on his computer' would come over to my place, he'd say' What are you moaning about... it runs perfectly smooth'! About my old sustem: in all honesty I have to say that as far as I can remember I didn't have these microstutters... But of course I do know that when you install everything fresh on a brand new computer, you tend to look at everything a lot more closely...! it could well be that my performance IS in fact a LOT better than on my old pc... but all I see are microstutters...! (BTW It could also very well be that someone who doesn't see microstutters right now, would become just as frustrated as we are as soon as we show him what we mean... "O, you mean THOSE little stutters... never noticed them... but yes, I see them now... they are annoying... very annoying... I need to tweak!!! I hate my computer!" tongue.png The mind is a funny thing... happy.png

60 fps in a 60 Hertz monitor Vsync on is perfect smoothness, anything less than 60 will be comparatively jerkier. Don't despair. In our next lives will get 60FPS in FSX with sliders maxed out and all the eye candy

Hi guysI am also struggling with this phenomenom. New i5 at 4.6GHZ with 560ti card. Thought it would be silky smooth after what has been said on the grapevine but only at 60fps. Anything less, whether framelimited or not has microstutters. General texture sharpness is great, and being in VC seems to improve smoothness slightly (especially runway at takeoff and landings). Dropping all traffic and autogen settings right back now to see if that helps, shame really with new hardware. Hope something that properly works for this appears soon as I may just stick with 'unlimited' inside FSX. Another slightly disgruntled customer.

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php/topic/30796-why-i-get-50-fps-in-fsx-and-you-might-not/ Try this. Follow it. Don't try thinking "my system can handle more than that" just set your FSX settings exactly like that, then slowly increase them till you find the point where you see a performance hit. Increase autogen and traffic last.