Sign in to follow this  
bpcw001

Why is everybody so much into heavy long-haulers?

Hi all, reading these and other flightsim-forums and seeing that PMDG is apparently planning to make a 777 next, I keep asking myself why everybody seems to be so much into heavy long-haulers? Bigger == better? I'm a real-time flyer. I don't like the idea of having to sit through >4h legs which are typical for aircraft like the 777. Plus, there seems to be quite a bunch of high-quality heavies out there already. I'd personally like to see more along the lines of the 737NGX, maybe finally a proper PMDG-quality simulation of an A320 (my personal top priority after the 737 since currently nobody seems to be able to do a proper A320 for FSX), or ERJs, CRJs or a Q400. Thoughts?

Dave P. Woycek

Bigger == better?
yes, everybody who says otherwise is lying ... just kidding :) But you can also short-haul with the 777 ? but you can't really long-haul with the 737 ...If the 777 is released I will also short haul with her, even if its not a real world route ... so what if it isn't ? no big thing for me ... and I can fly to nearly everywhere in the world nonstop :)

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit

Because not everyone flies the same. First, who says you have to do long hauls with a long hauler? I do all kinds of flights less than 500 miles in the MD11 and 747. Second, Not everyone flies 1X. With the long hauls, My favorite part is all the planning that goes into the the flight, then taking off and having only a few hundred feet of runway left and you can just "feel" how heavy it is. Then I will 4x it until a few hundred miles from the destination, because who in the world has the patience to look at nothing on the computer screen for 8 hours? The great thing I have learned is that everyone does their simming a little different and we all love it because it's versatile enough for us to do just that.

Noah Bryant

PMDG and other companies just have to try make everyone happy. They released the 744x, now they've released the NGX, then the 777, then the Dash 8 or A32x. I fly them all. If I go on holiday to Orlando Florida for example, If I fly UAL, I have a stopover in ORD then a short haul south. When I get home I always want to recreate my flight that I did.

BPCW001 Since late fs98 early FS2000 i got into long haul flights 767 PIC was my first airliner that i really enjoy , now in real life as of today 737-3-5-7 and 800 are where i spend must of the time .I also have close to 2 years of 757 time i was type rated for both 757/767 but only got a chance with the 757. when it comes to PC AC i would like to see the list you mention before but after seen the outcome of the NGX i not only would love to see a 777 but small birds too like the ones you mention before . now since i never use simulation rates other than normal i try to enjoy every bit of the flight if posible so once again i would like to see a 777 with much realisim as posible like what we saw in the NGX . in the next few years if everything i plan goes the way i want 777 its what i would like to get into as part of my airline future office...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I love both mid size and heavy jets. Let me put this into perspective. In my case, I usually only fly within Japan. The most common route for me is RJBB - RJFF. 240nm. flight time is around 40 - 50 mins. Now Airlines like ANA and JAL both fly all kinds of aircraft on these domestic routes. Such as the 737-800, 747, 777. So doesn't really matter if it's a large aircraft or not. My personal favorite aircraft is the 777, so I am waiting for that one to come along ;) Long story short, even if it's a large Jet, I will still fly short legs! The NGX is a master piece. I enjoy the domestic flying within Japan and I can also reach those remote airfields with the short field package as well. Cheers!

Sante Sottile

It think, as mentioned, it has a lot to do with the inner child that still exists in many people that still screams "bigger is better!" I don't share the sentiment, as I like shorter and more frequent flights, because there's less cruise boredom (the J-41 is, therefore, right up my alley, whereas most 739 routes push my limits). Additionally, I feel accelleration is cheating, so long haul is generally not what I tend to fly, except in rare occasions. Don't get me wrong. I have the B744 and the MD11 and enjoy them both, but flights in them are much fewer. Some other people like the long cruise (or some people use accel to make the route feel shorter).

Kyle Rodgers

Long haulers are they way to go lol j/k. Longest flight I've done with the NGX was 4hrs 48min. I wasn't actually at my computer for the whole flight though. But anyways, you can fly short hauls with larger aircraft. For example: http://flightaware.c...e/flight/UAL814 - Triple 7-200 on a 2hr flight. I would also like to see an A320 or a good CRJ/ERJ for FSX.

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

What would you prefer? A Supercarrier or a Frigate? Same concept really. Man likes big machines :(

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

I like shorter flights, but the odd long haul is a challenge. If you fly, without time acceleration, from say EGLL - KJFK, and refuse to save the flight on the approach, the pressure to land that beautifully is on. You can reload a crash after a 20 minute flight with no great regret. But after 5 hours? You *really* want to grease that landing.

Paul Skol

I like shorter flights, but the odd long haul is a challenge. If you fly, without time acceleration, from say EGLL - KJFK, and refuse to save the flight on the approach, the pressure to land that beautifully is on. You can reload a crash after a 20 minute flight with no great regret. But after 5 hours? You *really* want to grease that landing.
+1

KIAH-EDDF was my last long haul PMDG747-400X a few days ago . 9 hrs plus . here is the FP ELD3/ELD/J29/MEM/BMG/HYK/PSB/J49/HNK/ALLEX/VIXUN/LIMRI/XETBO/EVRIN/UL607/SPI/UT180/PESOV/T180/UNOKO/UNOKO1L/EDDF FL350 i think i had to mod the route a bit i dont remember but if anyone wants to give it a try thats the route .....

I never use time compression... when I fly the long routes, I'm usually dinking around doing other things on one screen while it cruises on the other. FPS doesn't really matter. Sometimes I set up real long flights and go to work or go to bed while they fly... Things happen and that doesn't always work out so well, and I've come back to see the plane sitting at the gate for unknown reasons, or that I blew past my destination. I had some trouble getting the MD-11 to pause at TOD reliably so I had some doozies. (this is actually quite realistic - see NWA188 :) I really like flying long haul flights but I'm REALLY happy to have the NGX so I can reasonably fly shorter routes, and get in a few every day. I'm not much of an Airbus fan but I'd still buy a "320X" in a heartbeat. I don't have the J41 but I've considered buying it numerous times and eventually I will... if it was a Saab 340 or a Q400 I'd have bought it already. Just not too familiar with that aircraft in particular.

I keep the FSmovmap app runing on my phone or tablet and also try to set the alarm and do POS CHECKS if posible . once again im looking foward to the 777 also .

Thing with the 777/767 is that you can do short and long, you have the choice. The NGX is great to fly a good challenge, just doesn't have the legs.

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.