Sign in to follow this  
FrankG2625

Freeze on/after final (not what you're thinking)

Okay, so this isn't the freeze you're expecting. I was completing a flight from EGKK to EGCC, and all went well until 20 feet on landing,when all of a sudden the aircaft jerked hard right, slamming winglet first into the ground. At first I thought the gear collapsed or that I didn't extend the gear, but then I slowed down, and realised that the NGX itself just froze.Not my sim, just the NGX. It was completely unresponsive to everything except throttle, and the displays were all stuck on 20 feet above the ground on final. Quite a bummer, since this would've been the first flight that worked well... Cry.gif Any ideas? I followed all appropriate checklists, but it appears the aircraft just froze.

YES!!! Finally, someone else who has experienced this!!! I have had it too, luckily only while taxiing - the ailerons jam to the right, and the NGX freezes - but it responds to throttle, and braking, I think. It hasn't happened recently, but it has happened!

Yea this is the freezing issue we are all suffering from - or most of us at least - the hotfixes have helped but the problem is actually FSX and the way it is programmed - there are limitation on the total amount of memory the game can physically use and no matter how amazing or bad your computer is, if you exceed this limit *(add on aircraft, high settings, add on scenery, traffic, weather, anything that builds up the workload of the game) the game will freeze. This happened to me a lot to in the begging before the fixes, and if you just let the plane fly eventually the whole game will crash. My game works perfect now, on very high settings, try turning yours down a bit just to see what happens.

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot

Yea this is the freezing issue we are all suffering from
Really??I thought people were experiencing total freezes, I didn't know this was the problem everyone had!

Most people get full freeze instantly - however i have noticed some people, including myself that the freezes start just in the airplane, in particular, first just in the CDU, and the CDU no longer changes screens, then the aircraft freezes in flight - the game continues - but the plane itself is just flying straight, or any direction that you had it set before the freeze - and then if you are in a state of just cruising, the plane will fly and fly and eventually about 10 minutes later the game crashes. In this posters case he was landing and the plane froze, obviously at his angle the plane was moving down, so it just kept going down until it crashed.

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot

Yep! I've had this before into TNCM and it was a bizarre experience..

Same freeze as everyone else. FS runs fine, a/c continues to move, all NGX controls and systems are locked up though. Has happened to me 3 times so far with hot fix 3. Much more than before.

PMDG told me this and it worked - lower your setting in FSX - i know this is stupid but FSX is terribly programmed - basically it has a limited amount of memory allotted to the graphics of the game it can use at one time. Most people fly this plane, with a lot of traffic, addon traffic, addon scenery, real weather and load of other addons that make this game run very high - therefore FSX itself crashes because its not programmed to handle a lot of memory - yes this sounds stupid, but PMDG have confirmed this for me and it seems to be true. I will admit, after all the hotfixes my flights with high settings have been working just fine - but clearly its not the same for everyone. try lowering the settings and seeing what happens.

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot

I very much doubt that this is the reason for the panel freezes. I'm running FSX on Windows 7 x64 Home Premium with 4GB of RAM. When the last panel freeze happened, I had autogen to Sparse, flew from Unakleet to Barrow, over the Alaskian tundra in default scenery, where trees and buildings are pretty much non-existent anyway, and there was no traffic around. The FSX.exe was listed with 1.8 GB of memory consumption in the task manager (I've seen it go up as high as 2.8 GB with A2A's Accusim aircraft or PMDG's J-41 and complex scenery without causing problems). The only way to crank down memory consumption any more is by flying another aircraft than the 737NGX. If it's true what you are saying and If that's supposed to be the solution and there won't be an actual fix for the problem, I wan't my money back, because I'm not gonna live with an aircraft that can freeze up on me at any moment while FSX, a very touchy program, keeps running fine after it happened. p.s.: please ignore this little rant if you were just referring to CTDs and not the panel freezes.

I very much doubt that this is the reason for the panel freezes. I'm running FSX on Windows 7 x64 Home Premium with 4GB of RAM. When the last panel freeze happened, I had autogen to Sparse, flew from Unakleet to Barrow, over the Alaskian tundra in default scenery, where trees and buildings are pretty much non-existent anyway, and there was no traffic around. The FSX.exe was listed with 1.8 GB of memory consumption in the task manager (I've seen it go up as high as 2.8 GB with A2A's Accusim aircraft or PMDG's J-41 and complex scenery without causing problems). The only way to crank down memory consumption any more is by flying another aircraft than the 737NGX. If it's true what you are saying and If that's supposed to be the solution and there won't be an actual fix for the problem, I wan't my money back, because I'm not gonna live with an aircraft that can freeze up on me at any moment while FSX, a very touchy program, keeps running fine after it happened. p.s.: please ignore this little rant if you were just referring to CTDs and not the panel freezes.
Totally agree. IMHO, if it had to do with FSX or the add-ons they would also freeze and the sim would eventually crash. I flew for about 30 minutes today while forzen at cruise until I realized I was headed in the wrong direction and the ND and any other displays were not moving. FSInn was still running, REX weather was still updating, and plane kept flying. Only the panel and surfaces froze, which makes it a prob with the aircraft.
Yeah mine just did the same thing. I'm going apply the hotfix.
Don't count on a miracle with the hot fix

Applied both hotfixes (I heard there was a 3rd one, but I can't find it? I have 2622 or whatever the latest one is....)... I thought everyone was referring to a complete FSX freeze. That's happened a few times on final, too.

The 3rd one basically is the 2nd one with a small oversight fixed. You only ever need the latest anyhow, the hotfixes are cumulative.

Maybe arguing semantics a bit, but the hotfixes WOULD be cumulative if you only needed the latest one. ;) Descending into LFML as we speak... Hopefully this goes well...