Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Concerned about "hot-fixes"

Robert and Ryan, I am a bit concerned about the number of problems being raised in relation to the recent hot-fixes that have been released. It seems to me that these hot-fixes aren't undergoing a decent level of scrutiny/testing before being released. Not to try to tell you how to do your job, but could we see a freeze on hot-fixes until a well-tested service pack or update is released? Personally, I have not and will not be installing any hot-fixes as my NGX has been working fine right from the moment I installed it. I am going to wait for a service pack or update that has been thoroughly tested.

But that's the thing, for a lot of people it is broken. There's people who bought on day 1 but still can't activate it. They're trying to fix the activation issues along with tweaking things here and there and it's causing problems for users who had it all running fine, and only fixing some activation issues.

Some of these hot fixes are also causing issues that wernt previously issues, im waiting a proper SP too. These hotfixes are necessary for some so it is good they are releasing them periodically. Each to their own and you can patch as you go.

yeah screw those who have panel freezes, ctd, oom errors and activation problems ... no need for hotfixes ... just release sp1 in 6months and everybody will be happy *sarcasm off* ##### ? I'm glad that they are trying to fix it for those which versions aren't working ... just because it works on your pc doesn't mean it works for everybodyand no it works fine for me ... with and without hotfixes, but i'm still glad that they release it as fast as possible ...

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit

I think we'd all be quite delusional to think that a piece of software as complex as the NGX is would work without any flaws straight out of the box. There's simply too many factors that come into play ranging from simple coding errors to configuration/add-on issues on the end user's machine. You can't program anything to cover it all in that kind of environment. I'm glad they're working hard to squash the bugs and putting out fixes as fast as possible. I haven't had any serious problems beyond release night (running hotfix 3 also), but I feel for the folks who have yet to flip the start switch due to activation problems or something else.

yeah screw those who have panel freezes, ctd, oom errors and activation problems ... no need for hotfixes ... just release sp1 in 6months and everybody will be happy *sarcasm off* ##### ? I'm glad that they are trying to fix it for those which versions aren't working ... just because it works on your pc doesn't mean it works for everybodyand no it works fine for me ... with and without hotfixes, but i'm still glad that they release it as fast as possible ...
He probably knows that but he is just stating to the ones that don't have problems to not download any of the hot-fixes. (I think that's what he means). :(

Wrong! I didn't say anything along the lines of "screw those who can't get their NGX to work". I said that it would be better for a well-tested update/service pack to be released than to strongly advise EVERYONE to install barely tested hot-fixes, regardless of whether they are having problems or not. Read my message from start to finish before attempting to alter what I said.

and how long would you like to test this things ? their testing team isn't the largest ones and it would take weeks to test one patch ... meanwhile those with real problems can't fly at all ...maybe renaming the 'hotfixes' to 'beta patch' is more fitting ... but it fixed more bugs then new ones ... how many tickets or forum post problems are fixed by the hotfix ? pretty many ... so its fine to say that everyone should install it ...

P.L. Tran

Would you rather bound from one problem to the next, one hot-fix to the next or have an update that fixes things once and for all? You decide.

I'm pretty sure if they just release one fix that should fix all problems at once it will fail ... I'm pretty sure of it :)

P.L. Tran

For now i seem to be one of the lucky ones and yes i intend waiting for a tried and true SP. On the other hand, if i were having problems i think i would be more than upset if i had to sit with an unusable product for weeks maybe months for a SP, so it is good that fixes are put out ASAP to help those people out. I just dissagree with the 'mandatory' statement. That's my decision to make and be it on my own head if i am wrong.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

In the 24 flights I have done, I have had only 2 freezes and 1 fatal error CTD. Both of which occured while messing with the panel lighting or switching views. I have found that just staying in the VC during the course of a flight, without switching to outside views, makes for a trouble free flight 99% of the time. Also, all my freeze/fatal errors were around "big cities" IE. KORD, CYVR and CYYC. And all were during dusk, just as the sun was setting.

848one_ring.jpg

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics