Sign in to follow this  
Dicko

Dell Monitor-Is this OK?

I just purchased the Dell UltraSharp U2711 Monitor for use in fsx primarily for PMDG aircraft. The resolution is 2560x1440 with a image aspect ratio of 16.9. Will this be okay displying the cockpit in proportion or would I be better to get a 27 inch display with a 1920x1200 with an image aspect ratio of 16.10?I was under the impression the Dell UltraSharp Monitors were amongst the best,Thanks in advanceAndrew Dixon

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

I just purchased the Dell UltraSharp U2711 Monitor for use in fsx primarily for PMDG aircraft. The resolution is 2560x1440 with a image aspect ratio of 16.9. Will this be okay displying the cockpit in proportion or would I be better to get a 27 inch display with a 1920x1200 with an image aspect ratio of 16.10?I was under the impression the Dell UltraSharp Monitors were amongst the best, Thanks in advance Andrew Dixon
HelloWhy would you want less resolution?The monitor you have bought is better as long as you have the GPU power to drive it.I have a Dell 2707 WFP @ 1900x1200 16:10 along with a GTX570 ,My Dell is a really nice display but has issues with colour banding when flying at night which a lot of LCD displays seem to suffer from.

Hi Mad dog, I only ask this as the monitor was more expensive than the newer 3D monitors and they are all 1920x1200. The 16:9 ratio also concerns me. Your Dell is 16:10. To run the monitor I have also purchased a EVGA GTX.580.ThanksAndrew

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

HelloThe 16:9 ratio will not be that much different to 16:10, nothing worth worrying about, Your Dell is more expensive than most monitors out there but the quality justify's the price.EVGA GTX580, lets just say it does not get any better than that at this time.Enjoy that 2560x1440 resolution it will look stunning.

Thanks mate Andrew

Andrew Dixon

I think that 27" Dell runs at ~$999 right? Good monitor but a month ago for $1000 + change I picked up the HP ZR30w. Its a 30 inch, 2560x1600, 16:10 IPS panel Best thing I have purchased since my Samsung 213T in 2003!!!

I think that 27" Dell runs at ~$999 right? Good monitor but a month ago for $1000 + change I picked up the HP ZR30w. Its a 30 inch, 2560x1600, 16:10 IPS panel Best thing I have purchased since my Samsung 213T in 2003!!!
Hi Glen$750.00. The 30''is $1500.00.Andrew

Andrew Dixon

Did you get the 1.5GB 580 or the 3GB? I'd definitely be looking at the 3GB if running a res higher than 1920x1200, as my 1.5 version approaches that level of vram usage frequently in FSX.

Did you get the 1.5GB 580 or the 3GB? I'd definitely be looking at the 3GB if running a res higher than 1920x1200, as my 1.5 version approaches that level of vram usage frequently in FSX.
WOW, you must be pushing some insane levels of AA then? I only have a 570 but no (not knowingly anyway) issues at 2560x1600 at this resolution I have found lower levels of AA (4xS) quite acceptable.

I just purchased the Dell UltraSharp U2711 Monitor for use in fsx primarily for PMDG aircraft. The resolution is 2560x1440 with a image aspect ratio of 16.9. Will this be okay displying the cockpit in proportion or would I be better to get a 27 inch display with a 1920x1200 with an image aspect ratio of 16.10?I was under the impression the Dell UltraSharp Monitors were amongst the best,..........
Hi Andrew, Do you have the monitor yet? I am about to go for a 27" Samsung S27A950D, for which I am limited to 1080p resolution- you might see some comments of mine in a thread above this one. When I went to buy this monitor it was 1 month delivery (new model), so I have yet to order. Besides the 1080 resolution (and I only have a GTX460 -1GB- GPU, so not sure what I would need for the higher resolution), the other factor the I struggled with in the Samsung monitor is the lack of 3D Vision support (they have their own 3D standard, works in reverse it seems to NV's 3D Vision- go figure). But looking at the U2711, I saw reviews that had issues with the anti-glare coating on the screen, it looked like dust but could not obviously be removed? I'd be interested in your comments- or any other comments... I also noted the CCFL back-light, compared to the W-LED that is the new thing for monitors, and wondered what difference that might make, other than the environmental issues (mercury). And the IPS panel with the higher response time- but so much of this is subjective, of course.... :) I'd be interested in any feedback that you (or others) may have..... Thanks, Bruce.

Hi Andrew, Do you have the monitor yet? I am about to go for a 27" Samsung S27A950D, for which I am limited to 1080p resolution- you might see some comments of mine in a thread above this one. When I went to buy this monitor it was 1 month delivery (new model), so I have yet to order. Besides the 1080 resolution (and I only have a GTX460 -1GB- GPU, so not sure what I would need for the higher resolution), the other factor the I struggled with in the Samsung monitor is the lack of 3D Vision support (they have their own 3D standard, works in reverse it seems to NV's 3D Vision- go figure). But looking at the U2711, I saw reviews that had issues with the anti-glare coating on the screen, it looked like dust but could not obviously be removed? I'd be interested in your comments- or any other comments... I also noted the CCFL back-light, compared to the W-LED that is the new thing for monitors, and wondered what difference that might make, other than the environmental issues (mercury). And the IPS panel with the higher response time- but so much of this is subjective, of course.... :) I'd be interested in any feedback that you (or others) may have..... Thanks, Bruce.
Hi Bruce, Pulled the plug on the 27 inch Dell. The screen basically is no higher than my Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW just wider. I don't really like the letterbox look after the 16:10 screen ratio. Problem being all monitors now are 16:9. The only exception is the Dell Ultrasharp 30 inch, retailing at $1500.00 is a bit out of my price range. The user reviews also didn't seem that positive in some instances. Thanks Andrew Dixon
Hi Callum, Yet to finalisthe order. The Evga card is 1.5 GB. Would you or others recommend a 3GB GTX 580? Thanks Andrew

Andrew Dixon

Thanks Andrew- this monitor stuff is so subjective! I'd much rather be choosing a motherboard! :) Bruce.

Hi Bruce, Pulled the plug on the 27 inch Dell. The screen basically is no higher than my Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW just wider. I don't really like the letterbox look after the 16:10 screen ratio. Problem being all monitors now are 16:9. The only exception is the Dell Ultrasharp 30 inch, retailing at $1500.00 is a bit out of my price range. The user reviews also didn't seem that positive in some instances. Thanks Andrew Dixon Hi Callum, Yet to finalisthe order. The Evga card is 1.5 GB. Would you or others recommend a 3GB GTX 580? Thanks Andrew
I did mention it but: HP ZR30w is a 30 incher 16:10 ratio @ 2560 x 1600 Price = $1199 but you can usually get it for ~$1000 on sale. Its better than $1500 for the Dell but maybe too much over what you were going to spend on the 27"

I did mention it but: HP ZR30w is a 30 incher 16:10 ratio @ 2560 x 1600 Price = $1199 but you can usually get it for ~$1000 on sale. Its better than $1500 for the Dell but maybe too much over what you were going to spend on the 27"
Not in Australia Glen,try average price of $2000.00! Andrew

Andrew Dixon