Sign in to follow this  
BraytonCycle

Touchdown attitude Incorrect

Anyone knows how to correct the touchdown attitude on the NGX?? Even on Autoland have noticed it holds about 2 to 2.5 degrees on flare. In reality this would be a nice hard landing! With flaps 30, we hold approx 2 degrees on approach so obviously if i hold that on touchdown, there had been no flare. Why cant it be similar to the FS9 737NG which had basically the correct attitude shown on the PFD. The correct attitude should be around 5 degrees (on the PFD). Can this be fixed??

I was wondering what was the correct touchdown attitude. I keep ballooning when I flare to what I consider a reasoneable attitude. It still depends on your speed though so was thinking I was a bit fast. Havent had a lot of practice yet. Do you fly this aircraft in real life?

I've seen this myself. I don't know if this was a FSX limitation or not. The NGX lands as if it's about 8 to 10kts hot. It also stalls in the 30 flap landing configuration a few kts lower than expected. I did a test of flying the aircraft at VREF minus 6 to 8 kts and the attitude through out app and touch down appear to be right on.

Guest tonyf38

In the 800/900, 5 degrees nose up is too high of a pitch attitude when touching down.. Flaring in some aircraft means when smoothly bringing the throttles to idle, just keep the nose up by applying back pressure.. If you have a nice long runway, you can smooth out the landing by bring the nose up a little more while the airspeed bleeds off, but be gentle or you'll float.. The longer fuselage means a different landing procedure than the earlier 737 models.. Reduce the throttles while in the flare is the secret in the NGX.. Flare too much too early=float... Flare too late, hit hard... Keep on practicing.. :)

Hello, Have you put the correct elevation airport in your pedestal HGS ? Is your QNH correct ?

Best Regards

Marc Manandise

Windows 10 PRO

Auto lands are supposed to be a little hard in the first place.
This is incorrect. Have never experienced a hard landing during autolands in the real aircraft i fly. At typical landing weights, Flap 30, and Vref+5, we normally see close to the 5 degree pitch shown on the PFD during the landing, and we reduce this by 1 degree for each 5kts above this speed. However in the PMDG737NGX, it seems to be 2 to 2.5 degrees. Basically at 20ft above the runway, increase pitch attitude by approximately 2 - 3 degrees as per the ACTUAL FCTM. Like i said before, at flaps 30, my attitude is already at 2 degrees so when i flare i should be looking at 4 - 5 degrees on touchdown. So gather no one has any ideas how the attitudes can be changed to match the real aircraft? Even the approach attitude on the PFD on an ILS is incorrect. If anyone has the FS9 737NG, that one actually showed attitudes similar to the real aircraft, even on touchdown.

The flare on the NGX is much better than the 737 NG for FS9. It is much more realistic now. Fred.

Guest tonyf38
The flare on the NGX is much better than the 737 NG for FS9. It is much more realistic now. Fred.
Absolutely correct Fred, the 800/900 requires a different flare procedure than earlier 737 models. 5 degrees is too high..

So Fred and Tony, whats the attitude u hold on flare...that is whats shown on the PFD? Normally on the aircraft its just below the 5 degree mark...we call it 4 degrees. The PMDG shows 2 - 2.5 degrees.

I have asked that same question before. If you check the touch down attitude charts, based on the real 800/900, you will find on average it is just below 5 degrees. I was getting 2 to 2.5 on the NGX. I think there is just a tad bit much lift either on the flaps or the overall model. Chances are it's the flaps.

Vlad has a similar post about the GS , he's facing a similar issue.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Guest tonyf38
So Fred and Tony, whats the attitude u hold on flare...that is whats shown on the PFD? Normally on the aircraft its just below the 5 degree mark...we call it 4 degrees. The PMDG shows 2 - 2.5 degrees.
Well, it depends, remember the manual recommends certain things, but you have to factor in wind, turbulence and have to vary the pitch and thrust accordingly.. It flies like the real aircraft, PMDG took into account the added length of the fuselage.. Sometimes it can be 2.5 degrees up to 3.5 or so.. If you flare to 5 in the real aircraft you'll float and if you don't compesate or go around, you'll sink and land hard.. It's trickier to land than the earlier 737 models where greasing it is much easier.. Anyway, your eyes should tell you anyway by looking down the runway, not on the attitude indicator.. In the 800/900, you don't have to pitch up much, just hold the nose up and give it an extra degree if needed.. I never had an issue with the nose being down on final like some have reported unless a steep descent is required, then you can do some creative maneuvering to get the pitch attitude right.. I'll make a vid soon to show you what I mean.. Cheers..

Tony..are you a real world pilot? Not too sure what you meant by "you have to factor in wind, turbulence and have to vary the pitch and thrust accordingly" since at 20ft. thrust levers are brought to idle so thrust does not have anything to do with pitch attitude on landing. Lets say Nil wind, nil turbulence, 60t, Flaps 30. You cant tell me you land with 2-2.5degrees in the real aircraft and called it a smooth landing. The-800, at the above weights and conditions, if you have a glance at the PFD pitch indicator while in flare and holding off, have always held it at 4 degrees which seems to work really well. A one degree change to hold off at 2 degrees or even 2.5 degrees really will not decrease the RoD. Its more like driving the aircraft into the runway quite hard. I gather I cant tweak any files to improve what is shown on the PFD then.