Sign in to follow this  
Lawyer+Pilot

Innsbruck - LLZ DME East Approach, Circle to Land RWY08

Does anybody have experience (either real or significant sim experience) flying the LLZ DME East approach into LOWI with a circle to land on RWY08? I love this approach/landing, especially on larger aircraft, as it is a great hand flying opportunity. My question is, what configuration/profile are people using to fly this one gracefully? Personally, I: 1) depart RTT at 180 kts, flaps 5 and bug speed2) Flaps 10 between intercepting the localizer and 18.6nm OEV (realizing that it's hard to decelerate once you begin the ~5 deg descent to the MDA).3) Flaps 15/gear down at 6.3 OEV as I'm turning left to 230 to setup on the right downwind (AP off at this point)4) Full flaps no later than abeam RWY26 threshold Normally, I wouldn't be inclined to fly at flaps 5/below 180 kts 26 nm from the field, especially when doing a circle to land. But, if I configure for landing any later, I inevitably find myself high and fast as I'm turning final. I doubt it's done this way in real life. Does anybody know the standard profile?Trevor

Transavia and KLM flythe whole approach with ger down and flaps 30 starting at 10,000 feet !! I have it on some of the Real Cockpit videos. Fred.

This is going to be the approach in the 2nd tutorial flight...
I am looking forward to it !! Thanks. Fred.

I'm really looking forward to the second tutorial as I'm trying to figure out this approach as well. I can read most charts now, but LOWI has me proper confused!!

Ed Haslam

Transavia and KLM flythe whole approach with ger down and flaps 30 starting at 10,000 feet !! I have it on some of the Real Cockpit videos. Fred.
Interesting. It feels strange but makes absolute sense.

great to know seeing how I just got the Aerosoft scenery for Innsbruck, Im doing pretty well without the tutorials but its always good to brush up and see how others do it.

I'm really looking forward to the second tutorial as I'm trying to figure out this approach as well. I can read most charts now, but LOWI has me proper confused!!
Yes, there is a lot of information on the LOWI plates. This is also a great approach for strengthening your basic airmanship. It brings new meaning to the phrase, "stay ahead of the airplane." Trevor

great to know seeing how I just got the Aerosoft scenery for Innsbruck, Im doing pretty well without the tutorials but its always good to brush up and see how others do it.
i think i've read somewhere that AOA is going to do this one in their NGX training

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

i think i've read somewhere that AOA is going to do this one in their NGX training
Yes they are =)

This is going to be the approach in the 2nd tutorial flight...
SWEET!