None of my FSX controllers are Saitek, but I'm tempted to buy their Cessna trim wheel. I assume that I can use it without other Saitek products. Has anyone sucessfully set up this trim wheel using FSUIPC rather than Saitek software? If so, I would appreciate any hints. Second question -- do I need to download the driver from Saitek? Thanks. Bill

It would be set up via USB. I use FSUIPC for setting my throttles for the Airbus X and you will need some drivers from Saitek but some should come in the box.

Thank you, but I have set up buttons etc. via FSUIPC. What I would like to know is if anyone has set up the trim wheel using FSUIPC and if they needed the Saitek driver to do that.

Thank you, but I have set up buttons etc. via FSUIPC. What I would like to know is if anyone has set up the trim wheel using FSUIPC and if they needed the Saitek driver to do that.
Hi, It is funny, I had the same question. I don't want to use the saitek drivers because I use fSUIPC and the spad drivers. I thought that the trim wheel was due to be released in late august.

I saw the trim wheel at the Saitek booth in Oshkosh at the EAA airventure in late July but did not buy it then. I just assumed that it was available now. Perhaps not. Bill

Dont need the Saitek driver. Both FSX and FSUIPC will recognize it as an axis. it is available already....

Hi,I've read a customer review mentioning the fact that when you switch off the autopilot the trim wheel is still on the setting that it had before the autopilot was switched on. As expected it can induce huge pitch inputs.Has anyone else have this problem?If it is indeed the case, It is a major issue!!Why saitek has to anticipated this and kept the last trim wheel setting when the autopilot was on ?Is there a way to fix this?Thanksa potential buyer...

I am not sure what planes you actually fly but our club as 182's and 210's with autopilots. The trim wheel in those planes is mechanical. When you turn the STec autopilot on it will make a reasonable attempt to trim the plane using the elevators because that is all that the autopilot is attached to ... it is not attached to the trim mechanism. If it can not successfully trim the plane within its definition of "reasonableness" then it will turn on lights and a buzzer which suggest to the pilot either turn the trim wheel up or down to bring the plane within the autoplots "can reasonably trim the plane with the elevators" envelope. What all that means is that the autopilot does not actually change anything related to the trim wheel and when you turn the autopilot off you can expect the plane to assume whatever trim configuraton is defined by the trim setting. I've never experienced "huge putch inputs" in real life but I do expect I may have to retrim after turning the autopilot off. My experience also suggest that the autopilots "reasonableness envelope" is pretty small so the plane is never very far out of mechanical trim before the light and buzzer come on telling you to change the mechanical trim.

Personally my plan is to get the trim wheel for the older autopilotless planes I enjoy like the Carenado 152 and 172, and use the yokes electric trim for the newer planes like the 340II and Caravan.Viva la Cessna im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

Personally my plan is to get the trim wheel for the older autopilotless planes I enjoy like the Carenado 152 and 172, and use the yokes electric trim for the newer planes like the 340II and Caravan.Viva la Cessna im%20Not%20Worthy.gif
I built my own trim wheel with the DTA (Desktop Aviator) controller board for less than $60. It uses button commands instead of the axis control and there are no conflicts with the autopilot trim...Kdub

Hi,I've read a customer review mentioning the fact that when you switch off the autopilot the trim wheel is still on the setting that it had before the autopilot was switched on. As expected it can induce huge pitch inputs.Has anyone else have this problem?If it is indeed the case, It is a major issue!!Why saitek has to anticipated this and kept the last trim wheel setting when the autopilot was on ?Is there a way to fix this?Thanksa potential buyer...
YES there is a way to fix this. Use FSUIPC and check the option to turn off the elevator trim when the autopilot is engaged. I just learned about this and feel so ignorant to be avoiding the trim wheel for no good reason!Kdub

YES there is a way to fix this. Use FSUIPC and check the option to turn off the elevator trim when the autopilot is engaged. I just learned about this and feel so ignorant to be avoiding the trim wheel for no good reason!Kdub
Thank you. I found this FSUIPC option too. I have not bought the trim wheel yet, maybe later.

Thank you. I found this FSUIPC option too. I have not bought the trim wheel yet, maybe later.
Weird experience with my trim wheel. I got it to work, but it interferes with my onboard sound. At the start of FSX, I have to roll the wheel quite a bit before it actually affects the elevator trim at all, then once it affects the trim, it knocks my sound from my speakers to my headphones. I can reassign the sounds back to the speakers, but it's a nuisance. When I fly the Jetprop from Carenado, the engine sounds dissipate from time to time in the cockpit. Everything works fine if I disconnect the trim wheel. Today I disassembled the trim wheel and replaced the USB connector with a rotary encoder. It solved all of these problems and I don't need to use the FSUIPC option anymore.Kdub