Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

Logo Lights in real life

I'm hoping a real life captain/copilot for a world carrier can answer this. Knowing that airlines are pinching pennies, and watching every single line item on the expense list, are logo lights to be used frugally? I noticed at airports that it appears the pilots are in no rush to put on the logos at night. I also wonder, are they turned off above a certain height where their presence is not noticeable, like in cruise. This is a nitpicky query, but what can I say, I'm striving for ultimate realism to complement the first addon jetliner with an uncompromising approach to ultimate realism.

GOL turn them on during all night time, simple. Runway turnoff lights on from taxi to T/C, off, on from T/D to gate.

The tail is usually the easiest way to distinguish airlines, and airlines will do anything for publicity, so I think it's used very liberally :) Also, the tail lights, I would think, won't be using that much power at all...they're just regular spotlights....compared to the engines, APU, aircon, systems etc the cost of using the logo lights would be negligible. Karan.

I think it a case of them forgetting to most of the time - but its a very annoying thing they do - as it often makes giving conditional clearancee hardwork in dark - especially when they are not painted in the livery of their airline!

At American the first 77 of our 737s were delivered with them and we used them but then the company deactivated them in the name of costs. Same with the 777s. The current batch of 737s we are getting are being delivered without the logo lights and there is no switch for them on the overhead panel. Of course over time those panels get replaced so we now have a hodge podge of old planes without the switch and new ones with it.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

One airline switches them on with the landing lights below 10000 ft and switches them off above (night time only). It is pointless leaving them on at higher altitudes, and it aids with visibility ("being seen") at night when down low. Best regards,Robin.

One airline switches them on with the landing lights below 10000 ft and switches them off above (night time only). It is pointless leaving them on at higher altitudes, and it aids with visibility ("being seen") at night when down low. Best regards,Robin.
Unless you're KAL and you want to keep the Sukhois from launching missiles at you. They're on sunset to sunrise. Seriously.

Matt Cee

^ True story. A lot of commercial flights which route over the middle east/Russia also turn all available lighting on for portions of the flight over dangerous airspace, to aid in identification.

Great responses, thanks all. Every airline/situation is a special case, as are most of the things we are attempting to simulate. But I'm not surprised to learn of American disabling the logo lights, as I have learned from tv documentaries (CNBC has a nice one) they are extremely cost conscious, and with the razor thin margins and high fuel prices of the present day, I can't fault them for turning them off. Sure, it's a minuscule cost, but those costs add up over a week, a year, a lifetime. I had been guessing that they turn off the logos above 10,000 (like the landing lights), so at I have added that task to my 10,000 feet threshold checklist on arrivals and departures (landing lights, wing lights, and logo lights off/on accordingly). Free publicity or not, no one is going to notice above a certain altitude, and most weary travelers at the airports (who are already constantly bombarded with advertising everywhere they look) could probably care less about the tail art at night.