Sign in to follow this  
severniae

Flight planning/realism/other stuff

Hi All, I've recently gotten into flying PMDG's superb Jetstream 41 and the FS2Crew addon just makes it the most realistic feeling in FSX I've ever had. I think I'm just a trackIR away from my ultimate simulation setup! My question is this; Since I'm now flying what feels like the most realistic addon in the FS market, I also feel I need to make the other parts of my flying as real as possible. I've already installed REX2 and that is just beautiful. I am still using the wx engine that comes with REX - I'm not sure how realistic it is, I still experience massive gusts that seem to disrupt my plane when it loads new weather, even though I've got all the wind smoothing settings set up in FSUIPC (registered). Is there a way to make this more realistic, or perhaps does anyone know of a better wx engine? (or perhaps I'm just doing something wrong!) Secondly, my flight planning. I have until recently been using Plan-G to plan most of my flights, as I was until I got the J41 pretty much only ever flying A2A's (excellent) aircraft. However while they are amazing aircraft, I feel the need to fly something a bit more from today's world! Anyway, Plan-G seems capable, however not really the right tool for setting up complex flights in the J41. So could anyone recommend a good IFR flight planner? I'm not to fussed if its payware or freeware, as long as it is good. And of course capable of exporting a plan to the J41's FMS! Many thanks in advance to you all! Best regards, James

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

I've heard of this ASE - Is it generally to be considered to be superior to the wx engine that comes with REX?

James W

I've heard of this ASE - Is it generally to be considered to be superior to the wx engine that comes with REX?
I believe it is, because it's a more comprehensive tool that includes winds aloft, it's more configurable, and it allows for injection of historical weather as well as any particular weather you care to try flying in. ASE coupled with Rex sky and clouds provides a very immersive atmosphere.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

ASE coupled with Rex sky and clouds provides a very immersive atmosphere.
+1

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond

Excellent, I may give that one a try then. When using REX + ASE, is the view out the window the same as what is being shown on the wx screen? The reason I ask is I'm soon to also purchase the wx500 and add it into my JS41, and I wanted to know if a patch of troublesome cloud shows up in the wx radar, will that same cloud also show up in the wx screen? Regarding the route planners. To be honest I've looked at using online flight planners, but they don't really appeal to me, plus my internet connection can be a little intermittent, living in a rural area. Are there any other good flight planners that are installed locally? Regards, James

James W

Hi Again all, I just realised that I have a further question. I'm currently doing most of my flying around the UK doing short hops. Does anyone know of any good UK scenery. I currently use GEX and UTX together and they're pretty good, yet not photoreal. I was really after some photo real software, but to be honest everything that I find doesn't include and 3D autogen. I love the idea of real world scenery, but I think without anything 3d it'd make for a very flat and dull world. Anyone know of anything good? Regards

James W

Hi Again all, I just realised that I have a further question. I'm currently doing most of my flying around the UK doing short hops. Does anyone know of any good UK scenery. I currently use GEX and UTX together and they're pretty good, yet not photoreal. I was really after some photo real software, but to be honest everything that I find doesn't include and 3D autogen. I love the idea of real world scenery, but I think without anything 3d it'd make for a very flat and dull world. Anyone know of anything good? Regards
HelloIt does not get any better than this combination, truly superbHorizon VFR Generation X v3 includes 3D autogen landmarks now http://www.playhorizon.co.uk/store/ Treescapes is full autogen trees for England accurate to Ordinance survey maps http://www.earthsimulations.com/Store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_4_3&products_id=23 UK2000 VFR airports vol 1,2,3 includes 232 airfields covering Englandhttp://www.uk2000scenery.com/vfrairfields/index.html UK2000 Extreme Airport serieshttp://www.uk2000scenery.com/newsite/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html

thanks mad dog, I'll take a look at that. In regards to flight planning. I've seen some software called Fsbuild, and head some good things. Is this one of the best out there? The only thing is it seems a little old/designed for FS9...

James W

The Horizon western and northern isles scerneries are excellent. No autogen, but there isnt much above wall height out there anyway! Quite realistic for a J41 because up untill recently Highland Airways used to fly routes on the western isles. Eastern Airways probably do still fly to the Northern Isles as well.

Is there a good alternative to the UK2000 stuff? It is quite expensive and I wasnt impressed by the demo I downloaded.

I've looked around and can't really find anything. At the moment I'm using GTX and UTX together. Whilst not photoreal, it does improve the scenery somewhat.

James W