Would like Guru advice on HD's in a new setup. Question is: 1 HD 2 HD's, HD plus SSD? If more than one, what goes on which drive? Thanks Dan Cole

Dan Cole

HD + SSD. SSD for Windows and FSX (120GB should be plenty, unless you have addons like FSGlobal), a 1TB Caviar Black 64MB for the junk. You could install addons like GEX etc here

I have a 128GB SSD for OS, a 256GB for FSX, and I use several 600GB Velop's for my add-on sceneries. I have a lot of photoreal scenery so that eat's up a lot of real estate quickly.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Yeah. If you have a ton of photoscenery, you'll need a lot of space. But most can be installed outside of FSX (thats what your 1TB disk is for)

HD + SSD. SSD for Windows and FSX (120GB should be plenty, unless you have addons like FSGlobal), a 1TB Caviar Black 64MB for the junk. You could install addons like GEX etc here
What means junk? For instance where does MS Office go? On the SSD with Windows and FSX? Thanks Dan

Dan Cole

MS office would be junk. MS Office requires very little space and when you have the enterprise version like me you don't want them all wasting valuble space on the SSD.

Dont install the photo scenery on the 1TB. The main point of the SSD would be faster texture (or in this case photo scenery) loading times that can be obtained from the SSD thus helping to avoid LOD related blurries. With my FSX install there is no way W7 and FSX could reside on a 120gb SSD You could always consider an 64gb ssd for the OS, 120gb (or 240gb if you need it) for FSX and an HD for 'junk' storage, or just the 240gb ssd and the junk hdd. lots of ways to skin a cat............

Well it depends on how many addons you have. For example my FSX install with all addons (including GEX, REX & UTX) is 95 GB. So I could easily fit this plus my OS on a 120GB