Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

What is the obsession with the Autoland?

I always use autoland because I love it. Period. What is the obsession with people who like to use autoland...?
I'm not sure if there's an obsession about it, I think its more about letting people know that autolanding is very rarely used in real life and that most pilots hate it. Unexperienced sim pilots might be thinking that it is often used in real life.

I'm not sure if there's an obsession about it, I think its more about letting people know that autolanding is very rarely used in real life and that most pilots hate it. Unexperienced sim pilots might be thinking that it is often used in real life.
Then it's nice to have an expeirienced sim pilot to explain to us how stupid we are.

A newbie with only one post !!! I doubt it very much. The Real Peter Cos has more to be doing I would imagine. I have been in Freds Cockpit many times.It is the best one in the country....................full stop !!!!! Troll maybe ???
Perhaps he only joined to question Frank about his motives maybe... Either way we don't know and I'm sure if peter Cos was wrong he'll apologise on the forums for the mishap..

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I know P Cos too and he certainly would not be posting on here !!! Whoever this guy is he is trying to start some trouble of sorts.A lot of people in Ireland are jealous of Freddy's achievements in the cockpit building industry. Mark Allen.
You'd never know if it was him...I'd just watch it, even if it isn't equality matters...We shoulnrefrain from judging people with little number of posts, it's unfair, I've more posts than Frederic but he sure knows more than me.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

There's nothing like a great and satisfying feeling after a good landing when hand-flown.
I think it's a little oxymoronic... look at us, we feel great because we as virtual pilots can land a plane... yippe! No wonder some rw pilots laugh at flight sim... Try a hand flown non precision approach to minimums in the NGX.... or in real life! Yikes!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I think it's a little oxymoronic... look at us, we feel great because we as virtual pilots can land a plane... yippe! No wonder some rw pilots laugh at flight sim... Try a hand flown non precision approach to minimums in the NGX.... or in real life! Yikes!
Call me what you want, say what you want, but nothing will take a smile off of my face after a manual greaser.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Now here's a question for PMDG. I know how in all their manuals for flight sim addon planes there's Dont use for real world flight etc, but the NGX is super duper realistic. Would it be possible (theoretically) for one to learn the NGX, the procedures etc, then walk into a real NG and know what to do?

Guest tonyf38
I think it's a little oxymoronic... look at us, we feel great because we as virtual pilots can land a plane... yippe! No wonder some rw pilots laugh at flight sim...
That's not true at all, pilots pretending to be real world pilots laugh at flight sim.. A good friend of mine is a 747-400 capt and loves the PMDG 747 and other addons.. Also, another bud is a Capt on a 767 and uses FSX quite a bit..

I use the NGX Autoland regularly. Mainly because of hardware limitations and workload (No rudder pedals, using a joy stick, no FO). On other aircraft types i.e 747X, LDS767, I almost always manually land. Even with my limitations I manage to land properly with those planes (on the TDZ at a rate of <150fpm) but am finding the NGX a difficult plane to master, especially at the flare and let down stages. I'm quite happy to admit that when I maunally land the NGX, I almost come close to tail strike, or, I get it on the runway nicely and then it decides to pop back up into the air (airbourne) then drops again. Ashley Frew.