Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

What is the obsession with the Autoland?

Once again, read the whole thread. He admitted it was a typo. Shouldve been over 80% are flown manually.
Actually this is a "mean gram" .. you can't always expect someone to read a whole thread. Your comment would have been better like this "He admitted it was a typo. Shouldve been over 80% are flown manually".

Sorry. I guess you're right. Apologies.

Why call it an obsession - one might be interested in using/utilising the systems supplied with the aircraft for interest sake. Why perform a manual approach? same reason.

Yes I was Ronan. I flew with KLM and Ryanair. I am retired now and still involved in aviation education and fixed base 737 simulators. I am also involved in cockpit building and have been part of building flightdecks for a few movies. I help Flightdeck Solutions (Toronto) with their European customers. Frederic Steiner. Right and wrong !! No longer flying for a living. Fred.
How refreshing a discovery it is to know that we have 2-3 RW pilots on these Forums.Their various experiences can only but enhance our learning curve as they furnish the 'correct' answers.Nothing beats the experience of being in the hot seat upfront. Ronan,Fred,David, it's a pleasure to discover your rich vein of first-hand information and to be able to tap into it.

Don't you mean "Fred" not "Ferd" , AFAIK Ferd was the one who went around the forums speaking gibberish 10 years back.....
Oh, those were the days... :) I am sure Mr. D. Shutt has some fond memories too... eels if my memory serves me right. Cheers eh,
Dianna (?),Ever thought of giving people the benefit of a doubt before shooting them? ;) Cheers,

I'll be trying that from now on :(

The first time I saw a real autoland on an airplane, i loved it. During the layover i asked the captain that I wanted to see one. He was a nice guy, so on our flight back to Dubai they told the tower they would be conducting an autoland (even though it was VMC). I LOVED... One thing is to see it in the simulator, and a completely different thing is to see the damn 777-300ER doing it all by itself, even rollout. Too bad they turned it off. Otherwise It might have taken me home and cooked me dinner. Guys at Boeing make their real airplanes so realistic! They work just like flight simulator!!

Omar Josef
737/757/767

For those of you that have learned your 737-800s capabilities in the short time it has been out, lets have a little fun. I took off from Male Atolls ( VRMM ) and flying to Perth Austrailia ( YPPH ) and the Flight is 8 hrs 20 min + 1 hour reserve. So I need 9 hours 20 min of fuel for this flight. Flight Plan: Q4C AQAXA L894 MERIB T12 BRIGG WAVES5Fuel Load: 46,000 lbsPassengers: 100Cargo: 7,000 (allows each passenger 70lbs luggage) Does anyone think I will make it? If I do how much reserve will I have? I already know the answer just seeing if anyone else can guess and come close. Currently flying at FL370 with a 37 knot header. Hope that changes to a tail soon. Whistle.gif

Should make it with just under 5,000lbs remaining.

For those of you that have learned your 737-800s capabilities in the short time it has been out, lets have a little fun. I took off from Male Atolls ( VRMM ) and flying to Perth Austrailia ( YPPH ) and the Flight is 8 hrs 20 min + 1 hour reserve. So I need 9 hours 20 min of fuel for this flight. Flight Plan: Q4C AQAXA L894 MERIB T12 BRIGG WAVES5Fuel Load: 46,000 lbsPassengers: 100Cargo: 7,000 (allows each passenger 70lbs luggage) Does anyone think I will make it? If I do how much reserve will I have? I already know the answer just seeing if anyone else can guess and come close. Currently flying at FL370 with a 37 knot header. Hope that changes to a tail soon. Whistle.gif
You know with fsbuild and active sky you can get route winds. For 8 hour flights you really need to know winds. Also, where it says step on the CRZ page, put in 4000ft. When optimal, you'll step climb and that will really save fuel.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

I am impressed, so much so.. .. lets be BFF's Hypnotized.gif

You know with fsbuild and active sky you can get route winds. For 8 hour flights you really need to know winds. Also, where it says step on the CRZ page, put in 4000ft. When optimal, you'll step climb and that will really save fuel.
Thank you Flexman I am aware of that, and I used to have FSBuild. I use FS Commander 9 cause it has many features that FSBuild does not. Yes I am also aware of the current jetstream, just a matter of whether Activesky Evolution with simulate it correctly.

Ok. It doesnt really matter if the weather is realistic. What matters is that you get numbers of what is happening in fs atmosphere so that you can put it in the RTE DATA page. Otherwise, whatever fuel calculations the box makes are wrong. I have not tried fs commander. After having had access to every day real operations, i think fsbuild is the closest to how they really dispatch in the real world. The master flight plan it creates is just spot on.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

I have a good reason: Because time and time again flight simmers have asked the BIG question: Would I have a chance in hades of landing this thing in real life. And the answer from most real world pilots: Your best bet would be to attempt an autoland. Trying to hand fly it would be suicide. That would cause any wishful thinker to master those systems for when the day comes when both pilots have the fish. cutcaster-vector-801147859-fish-bones-on-plate-vector.jpg

Chris Hicks

Guess you did not read the thread closely enough. I know the variables and the numbers are as accurate as they can be. I was just playing a quick game to see if anyone could guess how much fuel i would have when i get there. When I do get there ill let whoever guessed right know the result. Big Grin.gif Thanks though.