Sign in to follow this  
Dewey

FSX very slow on new computer

Hello to the Avsim FSX Forum. I haven't been here for quite some time. Now that I'm back, I find I could use some of the knowledge that is so prolific in this forum. I had been running FSX on an older 3.6 Ghz Pentium machine with 4 GB of RAM, a standard 7500 rpm hard drive and dual monitors. I got decent performance with the sliders averaging around the "medium" settings. I got some mild stuttering in turns, particularly in high density scenery areas, but all in all, FSX was playable. I just replaced that older computer with a "hot rod" that has an Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev. B3 motherboard, the Intel Corei7-2600 CPU, 6 GB of fast RAM, a Western Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm hard drive, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX560 Ti graphics card. The clock speed of this system is 3.4 Ghz. This computer breezes through 3D games without even breaking a sweat, of course. And then, there's FSX. Surprisingly, it runs so slowly that it's unplayable. I can disable one of the 2 monitors, back all the sliders down to almost 0, use one of the supplied FSX aircraft and get it smooth enough to play it, although it still has the "jitters" in turns. There is something wrong with this picture. I realize that not all of the capabilities of this system actually benefit FSX, but I would certainly expect it to run that program as well, or better than, my older system. Is there a magic bullet I have not discovered, yet, that might keep FSX from bringing this computer to its knees? Are there others out there using the Corei7-2600 CPU and Nvidia GPU that are having similar problems? And, if the Corei7 and Nvidia users are not having those problems, could those users, or anyone else who has some ideas, share their FSX setup with me so I can see what I might be doing wrong? Thanks a lot for whatever help you can give me. I have been out of pocket for quite some time and was looking forward to getting back into FSX. So far, my reintroduction has been a bit disappointing to say the least, but I'm sure there is a workaround somewhere. It's good to be back in the forum. I hope everyone is doing well. Dewey

Hello to the Avsim FSX Forum. I haven't been here for quite some time. Now that I'm back, I find I could use some of the knowledge that is so prolific in this forum. I had been running FSX on an older 3.6 Ghz Pentium machine with 4 GB of RAM, a standard 7500 rpm hard drive and dual monitors. I got decent performance with the sliders averaging around the "medium" settings. I got some mild stuttering in turns, particularly in high density scenery areas, but all in all, FSX was playable. I just replaced that older computer with a "hot rod" that has an Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev. B3 motherboard, the Intel Corei7-2600 CPU, 6 GB of fast RAM, a Western Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm hard drive, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX560 Ti graphics card. The clock speed of this system is 3.4 Ghz. This computer breezes through 3D games without even breaking a sweat, of course. And then, there's FSX. Surprisingly, it runs so slowly that it's unplayable. I can disable one of the 2 monitors, back all the sliders down to almost 0, use one of the supplied FSX aircraft and get it smooth enough to play it, although it still has the "jitters" in turns. There is something wrong with this picture. I realize that not all of the capabilities of this system actually benefit FSX, but I would certainly expect it to run that program as well, or better than, my older system. Is there a magic bullet I have not discovered, yet, that might keep FSX from bringing this computer to its knees? Are there others out there using the Corei7-2600 CPU and Nvidia GPU that are having similar problems? And, if the Corei7 and Nvidia users are not having those problems, could those users, or anyone else who has some ideas, share their FSX setup with me so I can see what I might be doing wrong? Thanks a lot for whatever help you can give me. I have been out of pocket for quite some time and was looking forward to getting back into FSX. So far, my reintroduction has been a bit disappointing to say the least, but I'm sure there is a workaround somewhere. It's good to be back in the forum. I hope everyone is doing well. Dewey
Wel running not an I7 but an I5 2500K at 4.4ghz FSX is fast and smooth between 25 and 60 FPS with a complex add-on in dense areas and 3d party airports with a lot of traffic :-)(I limited my FPS here to 30 with a external program) FSX likes CPU speed so un-lease that I7 and over clock it to 4.5 ghz and you be surprised about the performance but still FSX needs to be tweaked ;-)But when done smart you can have almost all sliders to the right except for water and mesh for AI traffic use UT2...FSX performs per system different there isn't a magic solution for all out there it's per system to find the balance.Set your frame rates to unlimited and use one of the external FPS limiter programs.Further tweak your system by visiting this link... http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html But remember there isn't hardware out there that can run FSX to the full extend with all options full ;-) The most important one of all is CPU speed that's all what matters for FSX, despited all those best intended tweaks ;-)

André

Follow the guides on the link provided by jahman and follow it to the word and then try bojote's tweaks. your system will pull through. try an OC step by step. try switching HT off . awf has posted the link to Bojote's auto tweaking tool.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

See: 1. Setting-Up FSX and how to tune it, by Nick Needham (NickN), and2. Why I get 50 fps in FSX and you might not , by Mathijs Kok (Aerosoft) Cheers, - jahman.
That's quite crap what Mathijs from Aerosoft posted in his thread, if you ask me.Basically what he says: lower your sliders and you'll have great performance. Duh. NickN on the other hand, that is really useful. Although could be a bit updated.

HelloYou would have been better getting the K version of the 2600 as the non K is not overclockable which you will need for really good performance in FSX.You also should be running your Ram in dual channel either two sticks or four, preferably two sticks i.e 2x4gb.If it is really the 2600k that you have then just let the Sabertooth auto tune the turbo OC and you should get around 4.3ghz under load without doing anything else.You can always manually OC later.I have the Sabertooth with an i5 2500k and it is glass smooth with the PMDG NGX @ 4.3 and 3.2v.It drops back automatically to 1.6 ghz @ 1.04v when not running FSX.At this point I see no need to force a manual 24/7 OC while I am getting great performance.

Slight correction, you have a limited overclock. It is still overclockable, but not by much as the multiplier is locked.

HelloWell you are of course correct, if you regard going from 3.4 ghz to 3.57 ghz overclockingGoing past 105.0 mhz on the bclk is not a great idea long term on the SB chips.The Sabertooth will not take the Bclk past 103 mhz when auto tuning the OC, I guess the Asus techs have a fair idea what they are doing.

You can still increase the multiplier. But it's limited.

But remember there isn't hardware out there that can run FSX to the full extend with all options full ;-)
Odd statement there... ...considering that I just installed a "virgin" FSX + Acceleration on a brand spanking new i7-2600 3.4GHz w/TurboBoost, 8GB DDR3 1333, MSI P67A-C43 motherboard, GTX550Ti 1GB video card machine... ...all sliders full-right, Tri-linear, Antialiasing on, 100% traffic, ZERO TWEAKS... ...and am seeing a solid 70 fps with all default a/c (limited at 70) with clear weather, and just a bit less with nasty weather. I just tested with the C310R in the Orbyx PNW scenery area and still get a solid 60 fps. That doesn't seem too shaby for a $900 COTS computer from Systemax: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=254044&CatId=4928 I monitored the performance and watched as it "auto-overclocked" to 3.9 GHz with FSX loaded to the max.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Odd statement there... ...considering that I just installed a "virgin" FSX + Acceleration on a brand spanking new i7-2600 3.4GHz w/TurboBoost, 8GB DDR3 1333, MSI P67A-C43 motherboard, GTX550Ti 1GB video card machine... ...all sliders full-right, Tri-linear, Antialiasing on, 100% traffic, ZERO TWEAKS... ...and am seeing a solid 70 fps with all default a/c (limited at 70) with clear weather, and just a bit less with nasty weather. I just tested with the C310R in the Orbyx PNW scenery area and still get a solid 60 fps. That doesn't seem too shaby for a $900 COTS computer from Systemax: http://www.tigerdire...4044&CatId=4928 I monitored the performance and watched as it "auto-overclocked" to 3.9 GHz with FSX loaded to the max.
Nothing odd it just can't turn all sliders to the right try the car slider + bloom LOL.gif

André

Try going into your fsx.cfg and increasing your LOD radius past the FSX settings limit. Try adding 4096x4096 REX clouds, flying into 100% traffic Aerosoft EGLL in the NGX virtual cockpit. Boom.

First, I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond/comment on my initial post. Next, I want to let everyone know that I discovered the "holy grail", on my computer, at least. As I had said, I was flying with ALL sliders set on minimum settings and still having pauses and stutters. At least I thought that all of them were set to minimum. I discovered after I began this thread that I had left the Level of Detail Radius slider set to high. I set it to Medium and my frame rates came alive - 100 fps and more. I then began increasing each slider one at a time and monitoring frame rates. I now have ALL sliders maxed out, except for the Level of Detail Radius slider. It is still set to Medium. In extremely dense scenery areas, with the view set to Spot Plane, my frame rates have dropped as low as 20 fps, but still no pauses or stutters. I am a happy camper! For the first time since FS2004 came out, I am able to see what Flight Simulator is supposed to look like, and how it is supposed to perform. Running two monitors slows it down to an average of 25 to 30 fps, and it will go lower in areas such as New York, but still with no stutters or pauses. The highways are full of cars, the airports are bustling with service vehicles and planes, the skies are alive with general aviation planes and airliners, there are boats and ships on the lakes and oceans, dense forests, cities full of buildings of all sizes, and on and on. It is absolutely a whole new world.There is one caviat to all this bliss, however. The computer runs out of memory with all those high scenery settings, and all that air, land and sea traffic. I'm running 6 gigs of RAM. Does anyone know whether or not FSX would use it if I moved up to 8 gigs? I think Windows is limited to how much it can use, so I don't know if would do any good to add more. What do you think?Dewey

Dewey - I just want to clarify a couple of things.. was the 2600 a typo, and you meant to say "2600K"?Secondly - the 2600(K) supports DDR3 memory at 1333MHz in a dual-channel configuration, so that should be 4 x 2-gig DIMMS for a "normal" total of 8-gig. I 'm guessing you have 2 x 2-gig and 2 x 1-gig?...and... if you're running out of memory, can you post the exact message you're getting - here? ... and also can you tell us what OS you're running.. i.e. XP, 32/64 bit, Vista, Windows 7 - 32-bit or 64-bit. Makes a huge difference when tuning....

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.