Sign in to follow this  
wanabflyer

How many FPS do we really need?

If you guys have ever seen 50-60FPS in sim, you know just how fluid the aircraft feels. It's fantastic in this range. I limit mine to 30, though. 20 is unbearable for me, 25 is acceptable.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

If you guys have ever seen 50-60FPS in sim, you know just how fluid the aircraft feels. It's fantastic in this range. I limit mine to 30, though. 20 is unbearable for me, 25 is acceptable.
25 fps is perfect anything above that could be fantastic.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Films are render to 23.976 FPS. The eye can detect movement from 3 FPS. Detecting movement is not the same as seeing smooth movement, which is why films in the cinema are at 23.976 FPS. You will see absolutely no difference between something like 24 or 23 FPS and 30 FPS, 40 FPS, 60, 70, 120, 10000, 10000000000 FPS.
That is incorrect. The reason for film cameras to shoot at that frame rate was mainly COST, and tradition. Today, movies are shot at up to 60fps and sometimes TVs will bring those to even 200fps by interpolating intermediate frames "content aware". Eyesight, being mainly a chemical process (and electrical), obviously has a limit at which you cannot notice the difference, but that limit is certainly higher than 30, and that is a fact. A game/sim at 100fps on a 100hz capable screen truly is an amazing experience.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Yeah, 20 or below will really frak up your landing due to lag between what you see and the control inputs. If I can get mid 20s and up, I'm very satisfied.

Chris Hicks

Yeah, 20 or below will really frak up your landing due to lag between what you see and the control inputs. If I can get mid 20s and up, I'm very satisfied.
Well actually 60 fps and stutters or 18 fps and smooth lol it's all about smoothness to begin with ;-)

André

Well actually 60 fps and stutters or 18 fps and smooth lol it's all about smoothness to begin with ;-)
That is true...I think. I've never achieved 60fps in an add on with this rig. I wouldn't know what that feels like! I know it makes me ill when I see how fluid some people are able to fly AND capture HD video. If I tried that with my rig it would spark and flip me the bird.

Chris Hicks

That is true...I think. I've never achieved 60fps in an add on with this rig. I wouldn't know what that feels like! I know it makes me ill when I see how fluid some people are able to fly AND capture HD video. If I tried that with my rig it would spark and flip me the bird.
Yep true I had a flash back about my previous dual and quad cores, only the current I5 and I7 over clocked can achieve that.

André

That is incorrect. The reason for film cameras to shoot at that frame rate was mainly COST, and tradition. Today, movies are shot at up to 60fps and sometimes TVs will bring those to even 200fps by interpolating intermediate frames "content aware". Eyesight, being mainly a chemical process (and electrical), obviously has a limit at which you cannot notice the difference, but that limit is certainly higher than 30, and that is a fact. A game/sim at 100fps on a 100hz capable screen truly is an amazing experience.
Very true. And anyone that can't see the difference between 23 and 60 FPS either: A. has never seen 60 FPSB. needs their eyes checkedC. is lying (no offense)D. is in denial to the fact that new hardware is in order LOL.gif Just a note. One, all, or several of the above may apply.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Very true. And anyone that can't see the difference between 23 and 60 FPS either: A. has never seen 60 FPSB. needs their eyes checkedC. is lying (no offense)D. is in denial to the fact that new hardware is in order LOL.gif Just a note. One, all, or several of the above may apply.
I can't deny new hardware is in order...making it attainable is a completely other story! Money%20Eyes.gif Inane question: Antilag limiter: What do I set the render ahead limit to?

Chris Hicks

you can see the diffrence from 20 to 30fps and above. there is a common misconception that you only need 24 or so FPS but thats with films, films and tv programs have motion blur that makes it alot less noticable. Computers are totaly diffrent each time the screen refreshes the result is more clinical and almost too perfect where as programs on your tv are full of movment and blend into each other..
I was about to say that. It's annoying that this misconception of "25fps are all the human eye can see" keeps getting perpetuated, even though everyone can try themselves that there even is a noticable difference between 40 and 60fps and more.

I can't deny new hardware is in order...making it attainable is a completely other story! Money%20Eyes.gif Inane question: Antilag limiter: What do I set the render ahead limit to?
Very true. "0" . 1 and 2 are for FPS gamers and mouse lag, or something silly. Either way, 2 gave terrible stutters. 1 gave lower FPS.
I was about to say that. It's annoying that this misconception of "25fps are all the human eye can see" keeps getting perpetuated, even though everyone can try themselves that there even is a noticable difference between 40 and 60fps and more.
Yup! I think it comes down to misinterpretation. Simple as that!

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Actually, we cannot measure "how many frames human eye can see", because human eye is much different from any camera. But, that certainly is not 25 or so. In FSX, even 20fps can be enough for nice flight, but if you can run 100fps, there is no reason to limit yourself at 25 just because some crazy researchers said that is enough. Difference is huge, on 25fps you can never fly manually as good as you can with 50-60fps or more. Lj. Prodanovic