Sign in to follow this  
devadip

RW Pilot Request

Hi Guys This is a request to the real world pilots on the forums.... I am a long time simmer and realise I don't fly 'correctly' ie after reading these forums I realise its not a matter of engaging LNAV and VNAV and letting the aircraft do its magic.... it's seems a much more ATC controlled affair and all my pre-programmed and a/p flown SIDS and STARS are probably not accurate to real life So Guys, would any of you be prepared to script an example of a complete flight including how your deps and arr are managed in the and how you use the autopilot for all stages or flight. I realise there are many ways to skin a cat and there is no hard and fast routine, but it would really help me to enjoy my simming more to know how it really 'is'. I must say I am personally quite interested in hearing from the gentleman that posts here who was a Ryanair pilot as that is my NGX livery choice and I have flown with them many times so it would be great to know what really happens... but of course any input would be gratefully recieved. In Anticipation Regards Mark Lindley Grantham, UK

The training videos that are scheduled to come out for sale by A2A will have full flights. You can see the publicity on their site. There are some with more or less what you want on Youtube. Henri

Henri Arsenault

The training videos that are scheduled to come out for sale by A2A will have full flights. You can see the publicity on their site. There are some with more or less what you want on Youtube. Henri
Correction AoA

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Deva i was just done with the 2 legs i had for the day today KIAH KMIA and back to KIAH when i get home ill try to give you more details . But just so that you have a idea today for example we took off from KMIA and i had to hand fly about a good 50 to 70 miles out before i can let the AP do its job for traffic reasons and the same thing was done coming in to KIAH where i had to hand fly till touch down ill give more details when i get home but over all the situations change alot from day to day .

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Ok, the quick and dirty. Flight plans are filed and based on most efficient routes for your aircraft. Some companies use an outside source. My company uses jetplan. Some airports may have preferred routes in/out of the terminal area. In all the flightplan is just a request and are amended by ATC based on their needs. Departures(SID)You may file a departure in your flightplan based on routing, but these are changed or amended 9 times out of 10. Sometimes you can get your clearance through AFIS or by clearance at the gate/parking spot. You may get it on the taxi. Writing down a clearance while taxing sucks as i prefer both pilots copying it for cross check before repeating. If changed, now you have to compare/edit your flight plan in the FMC.Autopilot useAutopilot use in traffic areas and during weather is key. You will normally get vectors until cleared on route. You may fly the cleared SID initially, but you will get a vector at some point along with altitude and speed restrictions. Usually the case at busy airports. When you are hand flying, the non flying pilot works the radios, FMC, and the flight guidance panel. He sets your headings, speeds, altitudes, vert speed, FMC, ETC all while working ATC. This is not ideal. Much better if the autopilot is on while you both scan for traffic, listen to ATC, and the pilot flying monitors the AP and set the guidance panel. This also allows you to verify what is put in the FMC. Autopilot is key during arrivals and departures. Usually I save the hand flying for approaches and initial climb out.Descents9 times out of 10 you will get a star. You as the crew must know your jet and keep up with a descent point. 3 times the altitude is a good technique for a descend by point. VNAV works also. You have to put that request in early! Ask prior to and you may get a pilots descretion descent, which means start down when you are ready. Often you will be held up and you are told to make the request on another freq. So get the request in advance so they know ahead of time you are ready. You may be told to descend via the star or you will get step downs along the star. You sometimes get restrictions like " descend and maintain 10 thousand, cross 50 miles east of dixie at 15 thousand. Very common in busy airspace and you have to use the FMC or mental math to calculate a descent rate to meet the restriction. ApproachesNormally you will get the standard approach for the airport you are flying too. Maybe a visual in VMC or the precision in IMC. Normally they will follow whats on ATIS. If you require something different, you have to make that request on check-in. American 1232 at 6 thousand, heading 240 with request information bravo. Usually they will take your request and pass it on or have you make that request with approach. Another good time to have the AP on as you keep up on traffic and traffic calls. Thats usually it or what im used to. I've flown cagro, charters, and now I fly corporate International and domestic. This is the typical I've seen through out my flying. International is a little more tricky due to language barriers, country rules(clearances and procedures). A controller may clear you direct to a point on your route, but it may put you in country's airspace that you are note cleared through. Sometimes it's hard to under what the controller is asking of you. Oceanic clearances can be tricky at first, but after you do it a few times you get used to coast out procedures and gross nav error checks

...You have to put that request in early! Ask prior to and you may get a pilots descretion descent, which means start down when you are ready...
First of all, thanks for an awesome answer its very interesting. I'm just an online pilot and the traffic levels are rarely anywhere near real life levels, so controllers often clear us to descent to cross a waypoint at an altitude even before we ask for it. However, in situations with heavy traffic its common to have to tell them that I'm ready for the descent, normally I do it about 10nm before my T/D. How would I go about telling the controller that I'm ready to receive descend clearance when I call in early, should I just say "American 1875 ready to copy descent clearance" ? How early is early? 50nm before T/D? Do you let them know that youre leaving your level when you reach the T/D point?

First of all, thanks for an awesome answer its very interesting. I'm just an online pilot and the traffic levels are rarely anywhere near real life levels, so controllers often clear us to descent to cross a waypoint at an altitude even before we ask for it. However, in situations with heavy traffic its common to have to tell them that I'm ready for the descent, normally I do it about 10nm before my T/D. How would I go about telling the controller that I'm ready to receive descend clearance when I call in early, should I just say "American 1875 ready to copy descent clearance" ? How early is early? 50nm before T/D? Do you let them know that youre leaving your level when you reach the T/D point?
On VATSIM I usually just call em up and say something like "XXX123 looking for lower", they usually give me lower, not very often they don't. Oh and I usually ask 10-15nm before, (bit more if they are busy).

Sek G550 pretty much put out a better answer than what i had in mind . G550flyer by your name im thinking the G550 its your current office now? if thats the case i had my time in that bird back in the day , did boston to paris many times LOVEE those Honeywell displays , too bad the owner went out on his busines and got ready of it and that was the end of another job for me ..

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Usually in busy airspace, you will get an initial descent from cruise altitude. Less busy areas, you may have to ask. Either way, I know when I need to desend. So if I have 30 thousand feet to lose to be at 3000 a few miles from the airport, 3 times 30 is 90 miles. I need to be descending about 95 miles from the airport. I should make the request at 105 to 115 miles out. Or 10 to 20 miles away from the T/D. If he gives you pilots descretion, start down at the T/D or 95 miles away. If he starts you down right away, start a shallow descent initialy. You have to atleast give 500fpm minimum. The worst is starting down too late which happens. We call it the slam dunk. So your request may go like this. "NY center American 1875 looking for lower". Sometimes you may only get a thousand feet descent. Controllers get a lil busy so you may have to query them. The radios get so busy at times that you are waiting to get a word in but you get cut off or stepped on. He/she may reply by asking " who was that looking for lower?". Never start down without clearance and stay ahead and request in advance. Just remember he may keep you up due to traffic or departure/arrival routes at other airports. Usually if i'm kept up for too long, I'll slow down to minimize the impact.

AOA training provides an excellent insight into operating the aircraft but i have yet to see ATC dramatically changing their anticipated approaches or giving vectors or commanding the pilot to immediately reduce or increase speed, correct me if i'm wrong here.However, i believe the NGX training will have at least one flight where a diversion will be made due to wheather changes. Looking forward tot that one.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

Thanks for the replies especially G550.... anymore RW pilots willing to describe a route ? Mark

Usually if i'm kept up for too long, I'll slow down to minimize the impact.
That is very good advise that I learnt watching Jack's videos on energy management. Trade some kinetic energy for potential energy! Thanks, Cheers,