Sign in to follow this  
marijn747berg

Advanced ATC?

I'm looking for advanced ATC programs; the default FSX ATC is perfectly fine (sort of) when flying default planes, but when flying planes of PMDG-standard, there's this incredible, and very annoying difference in realism.I should add that VoxATC is not possible for me; I haven't got a headset/microphone and am not planning on buying one(sorry for being so stubborn:-p)Thanks in advance,

Hi! sorry that i will get on your nerves :) but.. you aretalking about "advanced ATC", "realism", "no microphone"...Sorry these do not go together in my mind. I would syuggest you buy a mic and join ivao or vatsim and keep your philosophy CHFD - "Connect, Have Fun, Disconnect" sorry for not giving obviously the answer you wanted :)

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Elias Stassinos - Author of PTTBuddy - Automatic volume control while you fly / play /stream
My FS Photos - My MSFS Settings - i7-8700K / 32GB RAM / Gigabyte 3070 8GB OC / 1440p

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.And Earthdog/Elias, no worries, you're giving an answer and are being constructive; no problem with that!

I used radar contact for a long time. It's a very good program. Then I discovered VATSIM, and haven't used RC since. Paul

Hi Marijn, Radar contact and PFE are the two most frequently used programs. As usual in these cases, both programs have their pro's and con's. None is perfect but each one is an improvement over FS ATC. Some simmers prefer flying on-line (VATSIM etc.).A quick research on this forum - among others - will provide a lot of info on the topic. Hope this helps,Bruno

Yeah if you want realistic, you need to go with VATSIM. It's just not possible for a computer program to give, "realistic," ATC but RC does come close. Personally, I was a VATSIM instructor for about 5 or so years and can attest to the fact that we are as realistic as can be (we use real world SOPs). However, when I am flying, I cant devote my time to sitting there, and always communicating with ATC. I have a family, and a 5 year old who doesnt (yet, LOL) understand this, so I am constantly pausing the sim, which doesn't fly on VATSIM. If you cant do VATSIM, which is understandable, RC is your best bet.

Noah Bryant

thanks everyone, I got some really good suggestions! I'll look into RC: IVAO/VATSIM seems really cool, but I fly a lot of long haul, and I like simming/flying, but I've got better things to do than sit behind the PC for 12h; I want to be able to go and do something else.

Hi fellas, jus ta quick question about Vatsim. I have been considering it for some time now. Am I right in thinking that you have to fly in predetermined areas rather than a particular choice of scenery of your own. Sorry if this is an obvious question, but as I enjoy flying in Orbx territory in PNW how does this work? Thanks...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

i found Radar contact pretty easy to use and once you do a few flights its not hard to master. It gives you all your options in a little box inside FSX just like the default (only smaller so it can be left open). It will allow you to fly SID/STARs. One drawback I found since getting the NGX is the ATC will try and get you down to around 11000ft or so only 40 miles from your airport before you can even ask for a IAP (STARs). you will be decending at a then atc will almost always ask you to drop from what ever altitude you are down to some silly low alt within 30 miles.. The NGX just cannot decend that fast even with the speedbrake full open, so you get vectors off you route while you decend, then they give you the IAP option. Its messy to say the least. It would be nice to have the IAP option right from the start or atleast 100 miles from the airport as some STARs and very long. Maybe in RC5 but who knows if thats ever coming. PFE is just to comlex for me im afraid. It requires too many steps to get a usable flightplan and then has no menu option so you have to remember what buttons to press for each option. You can print out the commands but the system is pretty clunky. Like others have said Vatsim is the best solution but its not easy to find controllers and you can spend an hour planning a flight knowing there is ATC and then they log off before you can even get in the air.

Hi fellas, jus ta quick question about Vatsim. I have been considering it for some time now. Am I right in thinking that you have to fly in predetermined areas rather than a particular choice of scenery of your own. Sorry if this is an obvious question, but as I enjoy flying in Orbx territory in PNW how does this work? Thanks...
You can choose to fly wherever you want and whenever you want. the only problem is if you will have someone online as ATC through your route. BUT there are so many VAs and events daily so you can do whatever you want. Personally even if there is no controller i fly ALWAYS online. It reminds me that all traffic out there REAL persons (pilots AND ATC). So even if there is no ATC, i keep my eyes on unicom where i must read others position reports near me and report mine as well. Obviously i try to fly in areas where i have coverage, but its a game of give and take. ATCos should be online and book their positions for pilots to know when/where to fly best. I have gone also into ATC training and being on the other side is as equal as fun as being a pilot.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Elias Stassinos - Author of PTTBuddy - Automatic volume control while you fly / play /stream
My FS Photos - My MSFS Settings - i7-8700K / 32GB RAM / Gigabyte 3070 8GB OC / 1440p

You can choose to fly wherever you want and whenever you want. the only problem is if you will have someone online as ATC through your route. BUT there are so many VAs and events daily so you can do whatever you want. Personally even if there is no controller i fly ALWAYS online. It reminds me that all traffic out there REAL persons (pilots AND ATC). So even if there is no ATC, i keep my eyes on unicom where i must read others position reports near me and report mine as well. Obviously i try to fly in areas where i have coverage, but its a game of give and take. ATCos should be online and book their positions for pilots to know when/where to fly best. I have gone also into ATC training and being on the other side is as equal as fun as being a pilot.
Thanks a bunch for the reply. It certainly sounds the way to go. One thing I have been concerned with and that is, if there is a hit on framerates...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

no hit no, atleast no more than the usual AI traffic =). AI is turned off when you connect to vatsim. Unless you have Ultimate Traffic 2 then you have to disable it in game (1 button)

No hit in framerates...thething to do is that if you choose to use FSINN as pilot client then you have to disable FSINN using your payware addons as multiuser planes. Burt that is another story when you join...:))))) SB (Squawkbox) which is the other client doesnt use your aircrafts for multiplayer, it uses VIP models (internal)....

Really sounds good. I will finish getting my head around the PMDG and then take a look. Thanks a bunch fellas...

Howard