Sign in to follow this  
rsperge

what am i doing wrong here in autoland

i tried an autoland the other day and everything was going alright excecpt the plane never startedt to descend once I was on the localizer and the glideslope and had clearance for landing from atc.I had the right numbers in such as 108.90 , thec course 045 in both places on the mcp, for runway 8r, heard the morse code if you want to call it, when I was about 25 miles out, I ALS0 HAD BOTH FD'S ON, but could not not get both ap's to work only one would show green and when I would put the second one on the other went off., so thus I would only have one autopilot working. So my question is what did I do wrong ? Ive done manyof these but never had a problem before, please help thanks, Ronny

i tried an autoland the other day and everything was going alright excecpt the plane never startedt to descend once I was on the localizer and the glideslope and had clearance for landing from atc.I had the right numbers in such as 108.90 , thec course 045 in both places on the mcp, for runway 8r, heard the morse code if you want to call it, when I was about 25 miles out, I ALS0 HAD BOTH FD'S ON, but could not not get both ap's to work only one would show green and when I would put the second one on the other went off., so thus I would only have one autopilot working. So my question is what did I do wrong ? Ive done manyof these but never had a problem before, please help thanks, Ronny
Did you press APP for glideslope capture ? When the gliseslope starts to move down.........gear down and flaps 15. Fred.

definitely pressed app, but could not get the 2 autopilots to light up

i can only assumne if u had everything right and pressed app is that u were to far out for the actual aircraft to capture the g/s since 25 seems alot

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Usually at around 6 miles out (varies slightly) the aircraft will capture the G/S. Only then are you able to select the second CMD.

had both radio tuned the same, in lrelated to the mcp does this have anything to do with the honewell or collins mcp in relation to autoland, I have been using the collins mcp. I have been using the older honewell. could this be the probelm using the wrong mcp???

Shouldn't matter. Both have autoland capabilities.

Shouldn't matter. Both have autoland capabilities.
That's right but no Fail Operational with the Honeywell.

I have been thinking about this and my conclusion is that you have NOT captured the glideslope. In APP mode when you capture the localizer the autopilot status changes from CMD to Single Channel.( Provided you are using Hotfix 3 of course )It looks like you are in APP mode but missed the glideslope so no second autopilot will engage. JMO. Fred.

thanks everybody for all of your opiniions did a few autolands atjfk on 4l and 4r, the problem was that I was htting the approach button much too early., my bad ut thanks everyone Ronny

CRS 045 with rwy 08R is not correct.Check your current heading, it may not have so much difference between the runway course and current fly heading. SoYou must fly within a small range of 080 course.

Don't forget to select what approach you are doing in the FMC ARR page. Typically for an ILS for 08R it'll say ILS08R. Select it and execute it!