Sign in to follow this  
Richard99_Photography

Ailerons and Flight spoilers movements while banking?

Hello,I have just (finally) finished a flight from KMDW to KTPA without CTD. On cruise I watch my flight from right side seat just over the wing (view Left/right overwing). I have seen that when turning right or left either right wing's aileron and flight spoilers remained fixed, no movement, which is quite strange. I was a little bit disappointed. Have you experienced that?If no, could you post a screenshot during a 30° bank turning showing the gentle movement?Thanks a lot. Bye.

Do you have advanced animations turned on? They shouldn't move much during cruise anyway as moving past a certain degree could damage them at the speed the aircraft is flying and wouldn't be a very smooth turn.

Do you have advanced animations turned on? They shouldn't move much during cruise anyway as moving past a certain degree could damage them at the speed the aircraft is flying and wouldn't be a very smooth turn.
I think so, not sure, but probably yes. Tomorrow I will try to zoom, but it seems absolute no movements or maybe not so appreciable.

It's not a matter of advanced animations as is the wing flex.There are ground spoilers and flight spoilers. The flight spoilers move in flight on the lowering wing, increasing its drag and decreasing its lift, thus helping the ailerons with the bank momentum. 4 of each wing's spoilers act as inflight spoilers. When spoilers are extended, the way inflight spoilers work is inverted. It is the wing going up that will retract its spoilers to help bank. So, i have just tested this and, they work for me. Spoilers 2-5 and 8-11 work perfectly. Make sure you've pressurized A and B, and that the flight spoiler switches are guarded for normal operation (these control the flght spoilers shut off valves). captureiak.jpg

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Under standard operation with LNAV I've never had my flight spoilers raise. And yes, my ailerons and flight spoilers work fine.

Under standard operation with LNAV I've never had my flight spoilers raise. And yes, my ailerons and flight spoilers work fine.
They will raise whenever control column rotation is higher than 10º. How an airplane moves its control surfaces varies greatly among models... some airplanes wont even use ailerons for high speed flight. On the airbus, when flying faster than 190kts, the outboard ailerons will remain fixed at 0 deflection. Inner aileron and flight spoilers will generate all the momentum.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

As he's in cruise, wouldn't that apply to him? The LNAV banks the plane pretty slowly so I wouldn't expect outboard ailerons to be used or flight spoilers.

I would assume the deflection of any control surface is a function of speed. The faster you go the less deflection you need. I am sure this is modelled and I am sure Dr Evil took this into account and passed on to Prof. Scimone for animation. ;) Cheers,

I would assume the deflection of any control surface is a function of speed. The faster you go the less deflection you need. I am sure this is modelled and I am sure Dr Evil took this into account and passed on to Prof. Scimone for animation. ;) Cheers,
That only happens on the 777 (in boeings). Deflection is always in direct relation to the control input. It doesn't matter if you are on LNAV or on HDG MODE. Whenever the pilot or any of the autoflight systems needs a deflection of the control column of 10º or more, flight spoilers will work. One thing to mention is that flight spoilers also work, along with the ground spoilers, as speedbrakes (differenciate the name spoiler from speedbrake). In flight Spoilers work:-On banking when the control is rotated aproximately 10º (commanded by the pilot, or commanded by autoflight).or-When the speedbrake lever is operated. On ground (speedbrakes armed):-Flight spoilers will deploy fully when any landing gear compresses.-Ground spoilers will deploy only once the right landing gear compresses. ...but yeah. On cruise, banking rate and angle are reduced for passenger confort, so flight spoilers aren't needed.

Omar Josef
737/757/767