Sign in to follow this  
kantk2008

Why didn't PMDG make a Center pedestal for the 2D Panel?

Why? It still boggles my mind. Did they become lazy? I am 100% sure it wouldn't have been that hard. They made EVERYTHING else of the 2d panel, but this? For someone like me with an average PC, the NGX is already such a FPS sucker. The 2D panel gets great FPS. But then, on engine start, I don't have a choice and have to go to the VC. What happens? 10 Second freezes. 10FPS. Lag. More freeze. Why? What's up with the hate towards 2D users? I am trying to find a viable reason why PMDG wouldn't do something as simple as hell, just modeling the 2D Engine fuel switches, that's all I need! Instead, everytime I fly this bird I have no choice but to go twice to the 3D cockpit to turn on and off the engines, and really detract from the user experience. For such a hyped product as being 'the most complete and best simulation ever', the NGX sure has its shortcomings. Hopefully PMDG can add this 'feature', I'm sure it won't be terribly hard and it would pay dividends to 2D users. Karan.

wow didnt take long to start another 2d v 3 d war again do a search here plenty of threads regarding this issue time for a lock before this goes south as the previous threads have gone

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTSMinimumOS: Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7 (latest service packs), Flight Simulator X with SP2 or Acceleration installed.Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD equivalentRAM: 2GB if only running the NGX, 4GB if running other addons (scenery, traffic etc)Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible with 512MB of video memory (examples: Nvidia 8800GT, AMD/ATI Radeon 4870)Best PerformanceOS: Windows 7 64-bitProcessor: Intel Core i5 or i7 (Sandy Bridge core) or betterRAM: 4GB+Video Card: Nvidia GTX560 Ti, 570 or 580 with 1GB+ of video memory or betterMonitor: Widescreen 1920x1080+PMDG *highly* recommends the use of 64-bit versions of Windows due to memory limitations in FSX.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTSMinimum OS: Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7 (latest service packs), Flight Simulator X with SP2 or Acceleration installed.Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD equivalentRAM: 2GB if only running the NGX, 4GB if running other addons (scenery, traffic etc)Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible with 512MB of video memory (examples: Nvidia 8800GT, AMD/ATI Radeon 4870) Best Performance OS: Windows 7 64-bitProcessor: Intel Core i5 or i7 (Sandy Bridge core) or betterRAM: 4GB+Video Card: Nvidia GTX560 Ti, 570 or 580 with 1GB+ of video memory or betterMonitor: Widescreen 1920x1080+ PMDG *highly* recommends the use of 64-bit versions of Windows due to memory limitations in FSX.
What a garbage post lol. Yeah, my system is far better than the minimum one, it is infact within the best performance range. I would still prefer if PMDG provided a full set of 2d panels. I'm a 2d flyer. I prefer 2d, its the practical option for a single pilot flying a two pilot plane. It has nothing to do with system specs, and even if it did, so what? I just dont get the reasoning why they would not provide a full set of panels for the 2d.

IIRC, PMDG mentioned that this was due to the animation of the throttle levers. They couldn't get it up to their standard, so they left them out. Also, stop wining. Set up a key command to toggle the start levers. Problem solved.

Joe Sherrill

... Also, stop wining. Set up a key command to toggle the start levers. Problem solved.
Its not whining, its being disappointed over an incomplete plane. Assigning the start levers to a button doesnt really solve it. For example, how do you set the trim for takeoff? How would you feel about it if PMDG had decided that they couldnt get the animation for the throttle quadrant right in the VC so they decided not to model the throttle at all and just refered you to the 2d panel instead?

time for lock of thread

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Its not whining, its being disappointed over an incomplete plane.
Nowhere on the product page does it state that the airplane has complete 2d panels.
For example, how do you set the trim for takeoff?
LINDA
How would you feel about it if PMDG had decided that they couldnt get the animation for the throttle quadrant right in the VC so they decided not to model the throttle at all and just refered you to the 2d panel instead?
I'd probably be miffed, but I'd find a work-around. Even without a 3d throttle, I've payed for much worse addons.

Joe Sherrill

The weekend is here !! They have been let out for the weekend again.As long as they take their meds it will be alright. Why psychiatrists recommend flight simming I will never understand. Shocked.gifWhew.gifIdea.gifMoney Eyes.gifPig.gifsad.pngThinking.gifNerd.gifParty.gifLMAO.gif

The weekend is here !! They have been let out for the weekend again.As long as they take their meds it will be alright. Why psychiatrists recommend flight simming I will never understand. Shocked.gifWhew.gifIdea.gifMoney%20Eyes.gifPig.gifsad.pngThinking.gifNerd.gifParty.gifLMAO.gif
Ha! Way too funny Frederic. Have a good weekend everybody. PMDG's 737 NGX RAWKS! I have died and gone to heaven. Thanks PMDG.

Its not whining, its being disappointed over an incomplete plane. Assigning the start levers to a button doesnt really solve it. For example, how do you set the trim for takeoff? How would you feel about it if PMDG had decided that they couldnt get the animation for the throttle quadrant right in the VC so they decided not to model the throttle at all and just refered you to the 2d panel instead?
Ok calm down, I am a 2d-panel viewer myself. Here is what I do, when your done pushing back just go to virtual cockpit view. Use your POV on the joystick to angle your view down to the throttle quadrant, make sure the lower display is on so you can see when you hit N2. Look up and make sure Packs are in Off position and turn Engine 1 to start. Angle your view back down to the quadrant and wait for N2 and then hit the start lever with your mouse cursor. Repeat for engine 2. Go back to 2-panel for rest of the flight. At any time if you just want to see a certain section of the plane in 3d but not the virtual cockpit as a whole just look under where you right click and see cockpit or outside view etc. All the options you need are under Cockpit. Upper Over head, Lower Over head, Radio, etc. Or you can use the click spots around the cockpit to do it. I prefer to look at the 3d overheards and Radio Stack as they are easier to see and read. While you in there starting up you in virtual cockpit mode, you can set trim, flaps, and Autobrakes.

Why? It still boggles my mind. Did they become lazy? I am 100% sure it wouldn't have been that hard. They made EVERYTHING else of the 2d panel, but this? For someone like me with an average PC, the NGX is already such a FPS sucker. The 2D panel gets great FPS. But then, on engine start, I don't have a choice and have to go to the VC. What happens? 10 Second freezes. 10FPS. Lag. More freeze. Why? What's up with the hate towards 2D users? I am trying to find a viable reason why PMDG wouldn't do something as simple as hell, just modeling the 2D Engine fuel switches, that's all I need! Instead, everytime I fly this bird I have no choice but to go twice to the 3D cockpit to turn on and off the engines, and really detract from the user experience. For such a hyped product as being 'the most complete and best simulation ever', the NGX sure has its shortcomings. Hopefully PMDG can add this 'feature', I'm sure it won't be terribly hard and it would pay dividends to 2D users. Karan.
I must be thick. Why do you need one. Position a camera directly above the pedestal and voila - a 2D panel !!!

I think this thread is about the question "why has the 2D throttle quadrant been left out?" and "will it come back?" The answers that have been given in all the posts have not been satisfied. If it is this disscusion will stop.