Sign in to follow this  
misgav

Trojan from a vendor's cd?

I didn't know in which forum to place this issue, but here goes;After a pc upgrade I'm reinstalling addons to FS2004.Under windows 7 32bit, it's a grind your teeth process, but I'm persistent. The weirdest reinstall is the VFR Photographic Scenery Uk from Just Flight. i got the 4 volumes years ago and have had to reinstall them twice after upgrades without a hitch. Volume 1 reinstall went OK. The second disk of vol 2 was put in the cd drive and started being installed. Halfway, Mcaffee Anti virus opens a window saying; A trojan has been found- Generic.:dx!hj, and the process was aborted. The same thing happened in the second disks of volumes 3 and 4. Mcaffee help was so complex because they asked the identify the "corrupt file" via a very involved process which I cannot understand.All it is a bmp file sitting on a cd.How could a trojan possibly migrate to a cd which gets used once in a blue moon only for reinstalls!? I just don't get it! Eytan Ornstein

I didn't know in which forum to place this issue, but here goes;After a pc upgrade I'm reinstalling addons to FS2004.Under windows 7 32bit, it's a grind your teeth process, but I'm persistent. The weirdest reinstall is the VFR Photographic Scenery Uk from Just Flight. i got the 4 volumes years ago and have had to reinstall them twice after upgrades without a hitch. Volume 1 reinstall went OK. The second disk of vol 2 was put in the cd drive and started being installed. Halfway, Mcaffee Anti virus opens a window saying; A trojan has been found- Generic.:dx!hj, and the process was aborted. The same thing happened in the second disks of volumes 3 and 4. Mcaffee help was so complex because they asked the identify the "corrupt file" via a very involved process which I cannot understand.All it is a bmp file sitting on a cd.How could a trojan possibly migrate to a cd which gets used once in a blue moon only for reinstalls!? I just don't get it! Eytan Ornstein
McAfee has once again mis-identified a legitimate file as a possible virus - tell McAfee to trust or exclude the file in question. Better yet, turn your AV off during the install - unlike the real world viruses, software viruses don't float through the air and contaminate what they touch. DJ

Many years ago when FS98 was released, I had a antivirus software called Iris Antivirus. It found the FS98 Disc full of viruses

A CD software title is a "write once" product. It is simply impossible for a "virus" to magically appear. Frankly, I'm still of the opinion that the majority of "virii" are the product of the "anti-virus" software companies themselves... Shocked.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

http://www.pc1news.c...k-hj-17387.html states only McAfee picked up a generic dx virus. Several picked up the HJ variant. I'd ask JF tech support about this or browse related forums for that product. http://home.mcafee.c...aspx?key=162186 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/mcafee-security-warning-trojan-genericdxhjh/b90f8125-5d43-e011-9767-d8d385dcbb12 Do you know what file it was found in? McAfee offer to quarantine and then continue in its options?

I see a lot of people ignoring antiviruses. Why do you need one if you keep ignoring it. Even an official CD might have viruses. The antivirus on the CD might have been identified recently, so the vendors, publishers and developers might have been unaware of its presence when they issued the CD. Granted, you can have false positives, but how the hell you going to know witch one is it? The "one" interested in infecting you, is betting on your ignorance...

I see a lot of people ignoring antiviruses. Why do you need one if you keep ignoring it. Even an official CD might have viruses. The antivirus on the CD might have been identified recently, so the vendors, publishers and developers might have been unaware of its presence when they issued the CD.
Hmmmm, maybe , but you're describing a fairly rare occurence, the more likely scenerio is a false positive.Keep in mind many publishers will use a fairly clean machine for their CD builds, that machine isless likely be suseptable to Viruses. I agree its not impossible, just less likely.If the CD was clean to begin with as others have stated a virus isn't going to magicallyappear on it later on.However due to the fact virus protection software is regularly updated there will be times thatsomething previously not identifioed as a virus is later on by the same softweare identified as a virus.In the end its a judgement call, but a CD virus isn't going to just infect your PC and no-one elses, there's going to be thousands of CD's with that same virus on it. So that's your clue whether or not its likely a false positive.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg