Sign in to follow this  
riccardo74

Newbie overclocking, some help?

Hi to all people, first of all sorry but I am new on overclocking so I need your help if possible. My sistem is in the signature below and I'd like to overclock it at a rasoneable value, about 3,4Ghz would be good for me to improve FSX pers and frames. My combination is Intel i7 920 @2.66 Ghz with ASUS Rampage II Extreme, and Freeze Xtreme cooler. 1) does enyone have allready the values I can put into the bios (is it better to have the latest bios?) 2) or eventually some guide I can follow for those combos of cpu and motherboard? many thanks to all in advance,Riccardo

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Those CPUs can get to 4GHz can't they. I won't tell you anything cos I believe they are harder than SB chips.

Sorry, but what do you mean?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Oh what a "neat" answer Andrew. I suggest if you have nothing clever to say, rather say nothing.As for me, I suggest this one:http://www.overclock...-920-930-a.html Oh and btw. it's really not that hard to OC 920. I owned it. And had it running 4.0 permanently on watercooling.And you also have a good cooler for some good 920 OCing. Only thing, be careful with volts and temps. And please don't use "values"... see what guide is explaining, go from stock, raise the FSB and so on. It's the worst thing for me when someone finds some "values" that work for him without really knowing what's behind. OCing is not for everyone, especially not someone who doesn't want to know what's behind it! So, learn!

+1. Read up on it. Look through guides. Take it slow and easy. Don't make any big increases. Make sure you have a good guide in front of you to go through step by step. Don't just plug in somebody else's values, they might not work. Good luck!

Many many thanks Word Not Allowed, it's very kind of you :-) 1) Xtreme Freezer is a good cooler to maintain cpu at 4 GHz in your opinion? 2) what's FSB? I've used values, as you said, without knowing what's behind and I like to know what I do to my system, many thanks for your guide! veru appreciated.

Riccardo

Have a read through the guide. It should explain all the terms and everything clearer than we could.

1) Xtreme Freezer is a good cooler to maintain cpu at 4 GHz in your opinion?
That's impossible to say in general. Each CPU has different thermal properties, which makes it impossible generalize. Only way is through tryout. A careful and slow tryout - as Di said, step-by-step in small steps.
2) what's FSB? I've used values, as you said, without knowing what's behind and I like to know what I do to my system, many thanks for your guide! veru appreciated.
In the tutorial it's BCLK. Sorry, I'm a longtime OCer, I am so used to the term FSB that it kind of stuck with me. Since i7, it's called BCLK. It's basically the same thing, but for the sake of structure I think it was "renamed" to BCLK.

Many thanks guys :-)

Riccardo

Have a read through the guide. It should explain all the terms and everything clearer than we could.
Is there a similar guide for the I5 2500K? Dan Cole

Dan Cole

Once you know the BIOS you don't need guides. They are very strong CPUs the SB and take a lot of killing.

Once you know the BIOS you don't need guides. They are very strong CPUs the SB and take a lot of killing.
Man, would you kindly stop posting nonsense?No need for guides if you know BIOS? #####... someone who is learning to OC will need guides, a long time. And lots of reading and learning. It's easy to initially OC. But to get the best out of your machine is an art. Also need to understand way more than only upping the BCLK and Vcore.SBs are high OCers, that's correct, but so were 920. I had mine up to 4.5, which was a bit high on the temps, so I backed down to 4.0 which was my 24/7. But it was not a matter of 1 hour setting... it took several days of trial and error.And SBs can be killed. Easily if you are no careful. And the OP has 920 and not a SB.

Thanks Word Not Allowed for your reply, what's the SB?If I want to revert to factory settings, when I bought my pc, ifs sufficient into the BIOS select "Load default settings" voice, correct?

Riccardo

No, this is for when you know you BIOS well. I never said just throw it all at the CPU and see what happens. Sorry I didn't check the type of CPU, what I was trying to convey is CPUs are hard to kill if you know the dangers.