Sign in to follow this  
riccardo74

Newbie overclocking, some help?

Thanks Word Not Allowed for your reply, what's the SB? If I want to revert to factory settings, when I bought my pc, ifs sufficient into the BIOS select "Load default settings" voice, correct?
Sandy Bridge, 2500K, 2600K what users are commonly using here. Yes. But are bound to reset the complete BIOS. I practiced only resetting the AI-Tuner page, setting all to Auto.
No, this is for when you know you BIOS well. I never said just throw it all at the CPU and see what happens. Sorry I didn't check the type of CPU, what I was trying to convey is CPUs are hard to kill if you know the dangers.
Just keep it slow. It's easy to kill it even if you know the main dangers. For instance, running wrong QPI on the 920 could indeed kill the CPU, even if you Vcore is right...Read and study is the key here.

I was going off my experiences. What is the QPI on the X58 chipsets? How can it easily kill the CPU?

Man, would you kindly stop posting nonsense?No need for guides if you know BIOS? #####... someone who is learning to OC will need guides, a long time. And lots of reading and learning. It's easy to initially OC. But to get the best out of your machine is an art. Also need to understand way more than only upping the BCLK and Vcore.SBs are high OCers, that's correct, but so were 920. I had mine up to 4.5, which was a bit high on the temps, so I backed down to 4.0 which was my 24/7. But it was not a matter of 1 hour setting... it took several days of trial and error.And SBs can be killed. Easily if you are no careful. And the OP has 920 and not a SB.
Any recommendation for a guide to over clocking the I 2500K? Dan

Dan Cole

Many thanks guys for your help, it's very appreciated. I'd like to study and go in deep into overclocking but I have not very time (all my time I try to spend in flying) so, even if I know ASUS Turbo V Auto Tuning is no the perfect way to overclocking, what do you think about it, I could use it only when I want to fly with FSX, is it safe?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Many thanks guys for your help, it's very appreciated. I'd like to study and go in deep into overclocking but I have not very time (all my time I try to spend in flying) so, even if I know ASUS Turbo V Auto Tuning is no the perfect way to overclocking, what do you think about it, I could use it only when I want to fly with FSX, is it safe?
Nope. Don't go that way.For deep overclocking, you need lots of time. To get some more juice out of the squeeze, just read the docu and do some testing.

Word Not Allowed, your docs is very great! Do you think investing time I can get a moderate and stable overclocking (3.2 or 3.4), using even my Freezer Extreme Cooler? I'd like to run my 737 PMDG NGX with a bit more fps, now I'm around 20-24 on the ground, and 28-30 in the sky. So I need not an hard oc, but just a little.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Word Not Allowed, your docs is very great! Do you think investing time I can get a moderate and stable overclocking (3.2 or 3.4), using even my Freezer Extreme Cooler? I'd like to run my 737 PMDG NGX with a bit more fps, now I'm around 20-24 on the ground, and 28-30 in the sky. So I need not an hard oc, but just a little.
Yep takes time to OC to a stable clock and temps. read on the CPU core voltages before touching them. You can try upping the FSB and the multiplier slowly without changing the Vcore and check the performance in FSX and if its satisfactory. You could run Prime95 and linx for testing the cpu after an overclock. Monitor your idle and load temps. Every machine OC's differently.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

What are Word Not Allowed's docs? Thanks. Dan

Dan Cole

What are Word Not Allowed's docs? Thanks. Dan
I don't think it's Word Not Allowed's, he linked it, here it is:http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-930-a.html

Riccardo

Yeah, sure, I think it's very easy to achieve a stable OC at BCLK 175, for instance for 3.5Ghz.You need to set RAM on the proper multiplier, see what fits the best, or what your mobo is offering at given BCLK.Your 920 should fairly easy achieve 3.5. As ironmaiden said, up the BCLK, and see how much Vcore you need, if you need it at all, all CPUs are different.But also monitor what happens with RAM, you'll very surely need to lower the multi if you up the FSB, as the rated speed of RAM has to be kept at or below the rated speed.

Many many thanks, and what about cooler, do you think it can afford a 3.5? Is there a warning temp to stay under? 70C or 80C when FSX running in full screen mode or other temp?

Riccardo

There are a few temperature programs out there. Coretemp I think one is called. Can't remember. But when you run your stress tests (as per the OC guide), monitor the temperature of each core. You want to stay below 80 under stress.

Many many thanks, and what about cooler, do you think it can afford a 3.5? Is there a warning temp to stay under? 70C or 80C when FSX running in full screen mode or other temp?
You should never measure your stability or temperature with FSX.Your tools are Prime95, Linx, OCCT... stability tests. You should run at least Prime95 for about 20hours, and Linx for at least 200runs @ 4096 or equivalent 1/2 of your RAM.If it passes them alright, you are good to run FSX.Cooler should be OK for 3.5, but only way to know is start overclocking, as I said previously.Depending how far you wanna go, keep it below 80c for longevity, below 100c if you do want it to die soon.

Hi guys this evening I made my first oc and I reached up 3.5 without any problem (also 4.0, but then I slow down, I'm not sure, this freq is to high I suppose). These are my settings: CPU Ratio = 20BCLK Freq = 175DRAM Freq = 1406UCLK Freq = 2812QPI Data Link Rate = 6328 MMT/sPCIE Freq = 101 CPU Turbo Power Limit = DISABLE (have I to ENABLE one fineshed and have stable oc?) ************ CPU CONFIGURATION SUB MENU ************************* C1E Support = DISABLED (have I to ENABLE one fineshed and have stable oc?)INTEL HT Tech = DISABLEDA20M = DISABLED (have I to ENABLE one fineshed and have stable oc?)Intel SpeedStep Tech = DISABLED (have I to ENABLE one fineshed and have stable oc?) *******************SPREAD SPECTRUM AND CLOCK SKEW**************************CPU Spread Spectrum = DISABLED (have I to ENABLE one fineshed and have stable oc?)PCIE Spread Spectrum = DISABLED (have I to ENABLE one fineshed and have stable oc?) VOLATGES ???????????????? now they are all in AUTO What have I to do, can I leave them in this status or not? my problem is that there is not a method to imput these volt values, I don't know at which value to start. Conclusion, my FSX run very well (not tested allready with Prime95 and memtest86+) now together Xtreme FSX PC (payware software to enhance fsx fps). MAX Temperature 68 70 70 68 °C for all four cores.

Riccardo