Sign in to follow this  
chaos84

Nagging brake heat...

So last night I was on my way out of DCA, when about 10 minutes after takeoff I had an excessive brake heat alarm. Followed the QRH, landed her back at DCA, then cleared the failure. Today, on my way to some random city I picked, I recieved the same failure SEVEN times. I cleared it initially because I didn't want to deal with it again. Then it happened again. Then again. So I turned off the random failures, It happened again... you get the picture. Any idea why this is an issue? Is there maybe something I'm missing that's actually causing it? Just want to add real quick, if I may, that this is the BEST plane I have ever flown in my sim career. Great work on this one. It was WELL worth the wait.

Do you have rudder pedals with brakes? If so, it may be a calibration issue - brakes dragging while you taxi.

Getting the first alert 10 mins after takeoff sounds about right - it takes some time for the heat to spread. If you look at the brake temperature display after performing an RTO you can actually see the temperatures increasing steadily for several minutes after.

If your overheating your brakes then retrract all that heat up into the wheel well it doesn't take rocket science to figure out what is going to happen next. The Heat Temps are displayed on the Hydraulics pressure screen. Hit the proper button to bring it up on the lower display and monitor it as you taxi. Btw are you removing the chocks before you pushed back?

On the ground, the brake temps are reading 0. That's where I get confused. Mind you all these alarms were triggered on the same flight, so I was well over 2 hours into the flight when I was still getting these random alarms.

Btw are you removing the chocks before you pushed back?
Chocks are off, I wouldn't try to taxi with them on (not that big of a noob, lol). I work on the ground for a real airline, so the pushback/receipt stuff is embedded in my brain, it's second nature at this point. It makes sense that I'd be taking the heat up with me, I do understand that. But wouldn't the cooler temps naturally cool gear when I drop the main? I followed the QRH which basically says to drop the gear and hold it there until the temps come back down. They both still read maxed after about 30 minutes of holding time with the gear dropped, then another 15 or so minutes back into DCA. I guess the next question would be why is it that when I clear the failure, it 0's out the brake temps, then about 10-20 minutes later, they build back up and trigger the alarm over 2 hours into the flight? I guess I'm just trying to rule out operator error before I start making 'bug' accusations. (hate those kind of threads..) It's only happened repeatedly on this last flight, other than that the first time it happened was well over 3 hours into flight time. Thanks for the feedback, guys. Edit: I'll just de-activate the toe brakes on my next flight and see what it brings about. I never really have brake heat issues with the PMDG 744 or LDS 67, so I was just wondering if anyone else out there was experiencing what I am.

Well could be a bug for some people. Last night about 4 hours into my flight I got Hydraulics Overheat and Low Pressure Lights and could not clear it no matter what I tried. My Fuel Temp was pegged at the limit as well. I was still able to land without using any backups, so I am guessing mine was cosmetic only.

Looking at any replays during flight? If you watch a landing replay the brakes overheat...Not sure about a takeoff...

Steve Giblin

Are you working with a saved panel state for these flights (other than one of the defaults)?

Kyle Rodgers

In the manual it states that it takes around 10 minutes (as I recall) for the heat to spread and trigger the alarms. It also mentions this is an accurately simulated system of the real aircraft. Mist likely a brake calibration issue. The other issue in this thread about the hydraulic temp issues sound like someone forgot to move the landing gear lever to the middle "Off" position after takeoff.

Does anyone know what sort of temperature would be seen as acceptable when retracting the gear after takeoff? ie; at what temperature would you consider it appropriate to leave the gear down for cooling?

Just thinking out loud I would suggest that if the temp displays are White then you should be ok. If they are amber then I'd be cautiousIve personally not had any joy cooling them whilst lowered and airborne.

I heated the brakes up on an extended taxi one time and didn't realize it until I was airborne. Dropping the gear and letting them enjoy the slipstream for about 10-15 minutes showed a measurable change on the temperature display...at least to the point where part of them turned white in the display. Could be related to a panel save issue as well...perhaps connected to the high fuel temp problem we've seen with saved panels?

i got that weird Overheat on the Hydraulics again after reloading a saved flight so I could practice manual landings. So if you keep getting that brake issue you probably need to stop loading saved flights. Problem will probably go away then. I always start my plane from Cold and Dark for every flight.